Are visa's needed for any Caribbean islands on Thompson cruise

we will be on the celebration in January, we land at la romana and just wondering if Thompson have the tourist cards or do we buy on arrival?, and is there a departure tax or is this included?. As well as la romana do we need to buy any visa's for any other ports or is this included in price? Thanks

No visas required Thomson sort any that are needed

No departure tax if you are cruising only and not doing a cruise and stay as you are classed as 'passing through' If there is a departure tax to pay it will say it on your booking confirmation and it doesn't say it on mine

No visas required Thomson sort any that are needed

No departure tax if you are cruising only and not doing a cruise and stay as you are classed as 'passing through' If there is a departure tax to pay it will say it on your booking confirmation and it doesn't say it on mine

Unless you stop at any US Islands, St Thomas, Puerto Rica.

You have to fill out something online line, pay and printout and have with you for when you board the ship.

Keith (Southend)

Southendweather have you done a cruise with Thomson to St Thomas or Puerto Rico? cos we were booked on one with Thomson that was going to St Thomas and there was no mention that we had to get any travel card on our confirmation but in the event the port was cancelled and we didn't go

Unless you stop at any US Islands, St Thomas, Puerto Rica.

You have to fill out something online line, pay and printout and have with you for when you board the ship

Presumably visitors to US territories will need an ESTA just as if travelling to the USA ?

If so, available from the official site, AVOID the third party outfits that add on their own fee for something anybody can action themselves.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

Southendweather have you done a cruise with Thomson to St Thomas or Puerto Rico? cos we were booked on one with Thomson that was going to St Thomas and there was no mention that we had to get any travel card on our confirmation but in the event the port was cancelled and we didn't go

No we haven't been to those USA islands, but Thomson's have said we need the ESTA done. Interesting that there are still no trip available from Thomsons for the two Islands ports?

Keith (Southend)

You need an ESTA for a cruise as well as a holiday ashore. You are considered to be in the country when the ship enters territorial waters.

I suspect that St Thomas call was cancelled because Thomson forgot to tell everyone they would need an ESTA

If say you have been done for drink driving a couple of times you might well be refused entry so if you are worried don't book a cruise that includes stops at USA territory etc.

Thanks Does that mean you're going in the future and you've been told on your booking confirmation that you need an ESTA? If so is this for a holiday or a cruise?

As Dave says, you are entering US territory, therefore ESTA required regardless if cruise and/or land based residence.

• 1 month later...
As Dave says, you are entering US territory, therefore ESTA required regardless if cruise and/or land based residence.

I was just looking at doing my ESTA application, but can someone tell me, do I do an individual or a group of applications? It will be for me and my wife, two people?

Many thanks

Keith (Southend)

I take it you only need the ESTA if going to USA terortries and not as an fall back for any carribeen cruise (in case of diversions).

Yes, that's how I understand it. Thomson from the time of booking have said you need to get the ESTA sorted out yourself. I do wonder what happens if someone hasn't done this as it's not a just a case of not being able to get off the ship. law of averages tells me there will always be one or two who haven't done it...

Keith (Southend)

Chelseawolves as said previously I am on this Celebration cruise in Jan and you do not need anything if you are just cruising We are not going to any US Islands and if the itinerary is changed due to hurricane Irma I'm sure the revised itinerary will not include any US territories at this late stage.

I take it you only need the ESTA if going to USA terortries and not as an fall back for any carribeen cruise (in case of diversions).

Did both our ESTA's ($14) and now showing on my bank statement with an entry of £10.73 and £0.29 (x2) £11.02 each. So hopefully both US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico are still a goer for January.

Keith (Southend)

Hi, Keith;

Have also applied for esta's as we are due to go to St Thomas and Puerto Rico in december with Thomsons!

Also supposed to be going to Dominica; no way that is going to happen but when are Thomsons going to bother to tell us?

Hope we haven't paid for our esta's in vain; booked this itinerary because these ports were something different from the "usual suspects" having been to the caribbean three times before.

p.s; don't expect an emailtelling you when your esta is approved, you have to go in the website and track it yourself.

In addition; I suspect that if anyone hasn't got an esta or visa that needs one; they won't get on the ship.