Jamaica lately?

adamrosie

Me, my husband, and our 1 year old baby are cruising in January on royal caribbean. One of our stops is Falmouth, Jamaica. I am inclined not to get off the boat because I fear for my family's safety. Am I being smart? Or over dramatic?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The gay activist and face of Jamaica gay pride was murdered last week.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/dexter-pottinger-dead-jamaica-gay-pride-murder-stabbed-kingston-a7925556.html

I wouldn't get off just so they don't make any more money than they're already getting from your port fees. I personally won't go on another cruise that stops there.

The gay activist and face of Jamaica gay pride was murdered last week.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/dexter-pottinger-dead-jamaica-gay-pride-murder-stabbed-kingston-a7925556.html

I wouldn't get off just so they don't make any more money than they're already getting from your port fees. I personally won't go on another cruise that stops there.

Some of us stood up for Matthew Shepherd, what is the reason not to for Dexter, rather it be from afar or port????

Then again some of us did not stand up for Matthew and I understand that too...

bon voyage

My wife and I went to Ocho Rios last June. We only got off the boat only because were with my family which included several large men. It was okay,very aggressive as are many ports in the Caribbean. Our port was very small so we did a city tour, it was okay. Many said they had no desire to go back and next time I can just stay on the boat. I would recommend getting off with a group or if you must do a carnival excursion. Be safe but honestly that is for any port.

One great suggestion I've seen before is to stay on the ship, and give a donation (equivalent to what you'd spend on the island) to an LGBT or human rights non-profit in Jamaica, such as J-FLAG. This gesture shows solidarity with fellow LGBT individuals in homophobic countries.

Rated: A++++

One great suggestion I've seen before is to stay on the ship, and give a donation (equivalent to what you'd spend on the island) to an LGBT or human rights non-profit in Jamaica, such as J-FLAG. This gesture shows solidarity with fellow LGBT individuals in homophobic countries.

Thank you for this very timely info.

My upcoming sailing includes Falmouth, and any vague chance I had of getting off the ship is now zero.

• 5 weeks later...

We've been there 3 times (It's about the ship..not the ports for us) and have never been off the ship. Didn't know about JFLAG, but now it's on our radar in case Jamaica is part of a future itinerary.

• 2 weeks later...

We sailed to Jamaica (Ocho Rios) on our first cruise together (in 1989). We avoided going to the western Caribbean for many years because we did not want to go back. When we were on a ship that went there again (on a Panama Canal cruise in 2011), we stayed on the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

We will be on a cruise that ports in Ocho Rios next year. Having been to Jamaica on a cruise in 2014 and encountering some aggressive individuals (nothing to do with us being gay, but with us not wanting to buy their wares), we've decided to book a resort for a day that will pick us up at the port, take us to the resort, and bring us back to the port.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been on two cruises to Jamaica. The first because I wanted to climb Dunn's River Falls. Aside from the falls itself everything else put me off the island completely. Not because of their homophobic attitude but because the people are very pushy and (quite literally) "grabby." The second time we got off just to run into town and grab some Cuban cigars. Any future stops in Jamaica will find me relaxing on my veranda, save for going to the dining room for lunch.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

I came to this boards to get info on Jamaica after reading this note yesterday: http://www.newnownext.com/jamaica-insists-gay-tourists-welcome-despite-horrific-anti-lgbt-violence/12/2017/

I cant believe Time said Jamaica could possibly be the most homophobic place on earth. That was in 2006, but still, doesn´t seem a lot of it has changed. BF and I are going to Ocho Rios next month. After reading that note, all the comments on the Facebook thread and the posts on this forum I will not be leaving the ship. There are many other islands that welcome us with beautiful beaches and nice people. I wouldn´t even do a ship excursion. Why would they want gay money?

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I were on a cruise last month that stopped in Jamaica Ochoa Rios. We were not going to get off the boat. But we saw that a good number of Cruise Critic folks were booking a resort for a day. They pick you up at The boat take you to the resort and back to the boat. We had a nice day at the Dunn’s River Jewel which is owned by Hilton I think. We were treated just fine and enjoyed ourselves. Very nice people at the resort. Not so for the people who went to places where there was shopping. Very aggressive vendors.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...