Waitlist for optional excursions

bellemere

If an optional excursion is indicated as sold out online, is there a waitlist for the excursion? This is our first Viking Ocean cruise so do not how this works doing optional excursions online. If there is a waitlist, do you pay for the excursion online before knowing if you are doing the excursion?

Thank you.

If an optional excursion is indicated as sold out online, is there a waitlist for the excursion? This is our first Viking Ocean cruise so do not how this works doing optional excursions online. If there is a waitlist, do you pay for the excursion online before knowing if you are doing the excursion?

Thank you.

There is no wait list.

The consensus of advice here is that you just keep checking back (daily) to see if any spots have opened up and if all else fails, that you check again when you board.

When we boarded our Viking Homelands cruise two of the excursions we wanted were sold out. We signed up for the waiting lists. We made it onto both excusions and in fact it appeared on the day of the tours that there were empty spaces on both. We just watched our onboard account and once they charged us we knew we were on the tour and the tickets arrived at our cabin before the day of the excusion. I guess we were lucky.

When we boarded our Viking Homelands cruise two of the excursions we wanted were sold out. We signed up for the waiting lists. We made it onto both excusions and in fact it appeared on the day of the tours that there were empty spaces on both. We just watched our onboard account and once they charged us we knew we were on the tour and the tickets arrived at our cabin before the day of the excusion. I guess we were lucky.

Good to know that there is at least a system on board, even if there isn't a functioning waitlist during the advanced sale period.

There is also a slight glitch with the way 'my Viking Journey' works, maybe it is in play here. In some instances an excursion might say 'Sold Out' before your window opens to be able to make reservations. That happened to us recently. Viking responded to my email inquiry and said that they were not actually sold out but would show that until the appointed time. But now that has changed and they have a message about how many days before we can make excursion choices.

Anyway, just in case, wanted you to see yet another scenario!

Peace.

• 1 month later...

Viking says it includes tours, but they fail to mention that the availability of the tours is based on the level of cabin you booked. So the penthouse and suites get first dibs on the tours and if you are down in the steerage class you are left with whatever is leftover. In a way it is deceptive advertising. I think Viking is still trying to figure out ocean cruising and not quite there yet. They have a ways before they catch up to Crystal Cruises. But they do an excellent job with their river cruises!

Viking says it includes tours, but they fail to mention that the availability of the tours is based on the level of cabin you booked. So the penthouse and suites get first dibs on the tours and if you are down in the steerage class you are left with whatever is leftover. In a way it is deceptive advertising. I think Viking is still trying to figure out ocean cruising and not quite there yet. They have a ways before they catch up to Crystal Cruises. But they do an excellent job with their river cruises!

I have to take issue with your claim that Viking fails to mention that tour booking is based on cabin category. It is clearly spelled out under the Stateroom Features on the website, and again as one of of the FAQ, and perhaps in other areas as well.

Booking the least expensive Veranda cabins, as we do, provides a considerable cost savings, but comes with the risk that optional excursions may be sold out at our time of selecting excursions. All are still guaranteed a spot on each included excursion, though you may not get your first choice of a time slot. In our experience, we were able to select a very satisfactory combination of optional and included excursions.

We may have traveled in "steerage", but our experience was First Class!

No cruise line can mention everything in a phone call and it is unrealistic to imagine that they will. At some point, it falls up the guest to do some research and to learn as much as they can about the cruise line by at least going to the website and reading as much as they can, including, but not limited to, the FAQs, the Terms and Condition/Terms of Carriage--and not just depending on the advertising. It is clear in the description of the various cabins, that the more you pay for your cabin, the earlier you will be allowed to book your tours and your specialty reservations. Let's not blame the cruise line for our failure to be informed consumers.

If you have not yet sailed and have failed to get a seat on any of the included tours (and I don't mean, failed to get the time slot you wanted), you should contact the folks at tellus@vikingcruises.com and explain your situation.

Viking does not fail to mention their policy on excursions. In fact, they clearly spell it out if one takes the time to read. I have to very much disagree with you on this.

No cruise line can mention everything in a phone call and it is unrealistic to imagine that they will. At some point, it falls up the guest to do some research and to learn as much as they can about the cruise line by at least going to the website and reading as much as they can, including, but not limited to, the FAQs, the Terms and Condition/Terms of Carriage--and not just depending on the advertising. It is clear in the description of the various cabins, that the more you pay for your cabin, the earlier you will be allowed to book your tours and your specialty reservations. Let's not blame the cruise line for our failure to be informed consumers.

If you have not yet sailed and have failed to get a seat on any of the included tours (and I don't mean, failed to get the time slot you wanted), you should contact the folks at tellus@vikingcruises.com and explain your situation.

Amen! And it is all spelled out on their website and in the many brochures they send you. I pointed this out in a thread about the specialty restaurants and was accused of giving an uncalled for lecture ;p People are so quick to assume deception in the case of inadequate research - but then, again, I'm a research fiend!

Sorry don't see anything mentioned regarding cabin class relating to availability of "complimentary shore excursion"

VIKING INCLUSIVE VALUE

• One complimentary shore excursion in every port of call
  • Unlimited free Wi-Fi
  • Beer, wine & soft drinks with onboard lunch & dinner
  • Multiple dining venues including alternative restaurant dining
  • 24-hour room service, specialty coffees, teas & bottled water
  • Top-rated spa and state-of-the-art fitness center access
  • Self-service launderette with iron/ironing board
  • All port taxes and fees
  • Airport transfers on embarkation/disembarkation day with purchase of Viking Air
  • Included features valued at $203 per person, per day

Sorry don't see anything mentioned regarding cabin class relating to availability of "complimentary shore excursion"

VIKING INCLUSIVE VALUE

• Unlimited free Wi-Fi
  • Airport transfers on embarkation/disembarkation day with purchase of Viking Air

It just says "one complimentary shore excursion in every port" It does not guarantee that you will get your preferred slot even if you are staying in one of the higher level cabins.

In their FAQ - right on the first page - it does say

When can I book shore excursions?

Your My Viking Journey account gives you all the tools necessary to tailor and personalize your complete cruise experience. You have full access to browse (emphasis mine) all shore excursions and dining options from the moment you open your account. Booking opens for each based on your stateroom grade—see below. We will alert you when it’s your time to book.

• Explorer Suites—97 days from sail date
  • Penthouse Jr. Suites—87 days from sail date
  • Penthouse Verandas—77 days from sail date
  • Deluxe Verandas—67 days from sail date
  • Verandas—60 days from sail date

The recent portion of this thread reminds me of other complaints I have seen about issues like low water/high water on river cruises, rafting of river ships, final payment due dates, missed ports on ocean cruises, and my personal favorite, no refund after missed cruises when insurance was not purchased. Information about all of those issues is readily available, and it is up to the consumer to gather information before making an expensive cruise purchase.

There are indeed times when cruise lines and other providers fall short, and problems are not always resolved adequately. (Here's looking at you Lufthansa!) Criticism is, at times, deserved. However, I find it frustrating when a business is degraded for providing exactly the product or service they offered. Most products are not like prescription drugs, where they end their commercials with a frightening list of all the possible things that can go wrong!

VIKING INCLUSIVE VALUE

• Unlimited free Wi-Fi

Further Reading

General Terms and Conditions

Shorex Terms and Conditions

FAQ

Viking Ships -- scroll down to see Stateroom Features and a 360° tour of the ship

In my experience on the Homelands cruise in September in a couple of instances seats were added to the most popular optional excursions and I am not aware of any passengers who couldn't be accommodated on the included tours. I got all of the optional excursions I wanted by singing up as soon as my class Deluxe Veranda became available.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Had the same experience in Homelands where the Explorer Desk made slots for optional excursions that were "booked" before the cruise available during the cruise. I tried to get other passengers to check with the desk for last day openings for tours they wanted. Too bad because the tour guide could have used more guests. The tours were excellent.

Same thing happened with specialty restaurants when passengers like me cancel a reservation when onboard and it opens up for the alert Veranda passenger.

I've had following experience:

1. Cuba excursions ended up being free. That, plus concern by some that no private excursions could be arranged, may have made things "tighter" than normal for people in DV categories to book what they wanted. In any case, one excursion was sold out when I tried to book (first day I could, but didn't get up early to do so, like some people apparently do!) From that point on I looked almost every day on My Viking Journey to see if the excursion was ever NOT sold out. At one point, one seat opened up and I grabbed it. My husband will do the excursion he originally signed up for while I do the one I had my heart set on from the beginning.

2. On Midnight Sun cruise, I had to change my plans when we learned we would be getting into port the next day later than scheduled. I was looking around for some way to get to go where I had planned to go (using a public bus). I decided I really wanted to go on an optional excursion Viking offered but it was sold out. I asked the folks at the desk what, if anything, I could do. They suggested I wait until it was about time for that excursion to leave the next morning, go onto the pier where the Viking excursion folks were, and ask if there was any way I and my husband could get on the excursion. That's what I did. Excursion rep checked with someone on the coach to see if they could take 2 more people, and if the tour guide would be OK with that. Answer came back that we could go. We paid Viking and went to the bus.

Whether your experience will be the same or not, I don't know. All I know is that Viking made me very happy, and I did feel that they did their best to make everyone happy.

On Oceania, I had a similar situation as #2 above. Sometimes it's possible to squeeze more people on, add another coach/guide, etc. and some people DO get sick or cancel or fail to show up or whatever at the last minute. It never hurts to ask, and ask at every step you can!

Excellent post preceding. Work with the excursion desk and suggest that you are even willing to try standby AT the departure bus. I know that optional tours I've been on could have taken more (possible exception being lunch included at a restaurant tours) passengers and the tour guide makes more money in tips. Creativity (I never thought of this) and persistence pays off.

Hopefully someone can remember better then I. I know exactly what date I can make reservations for tours on upcoming cruise, but does anyone remember how far in advance of reservation date you can view completely list of all tours offered and prices?