Sailing Solo on Thomson

In the early stages of thinking about a Thomson cruise. One of the main things that puts me off Thomson is that it is all open dining, which if I sail solo I find really off-putting. I don't wish to eat in the buffet most evenings and the thought of having to meet new pax at dinner every night sounds just too much hard work :D. Has anyone on the forum sailed solo with Thomson? If so, can you tell me if they make any special arrangements for solo travellers please.

Hello - I have done a few solo cruises and really had the best time on Thomson. You can join a table in the MD or ask to sit on your own. I enjoyed doing both. I didn't think I would like meeting new people every day, but its great. I've made some wonderful new friends that I keep in touch with. Thomson do have a table full of Solo travellers, sometimes you may want to avoid this one (not always).

If you want to sit on your own in any of the restaurants, its not a problem. You may just have to wait a short time for a table to become free.

Hope you go ahead and book a cruise. You will have a great time.

Thomson have a social hostess who organises events for the solo cruisers. On my last 2 cruises on Discovery we had morning coffee, a hosted breakfast, lunch and dinner plus a pre dinner cocktail date. You don't have to attend of course. Last year we had reserved seats in the theatre but they seem to have stopped that, maybe because other passengers were complaining that we should not have preferential treatment. The solo social events will vary from ship to ship and I found the offerings on discovery good.

Thomson have a social hostess who organises events for the solo cruisers. On my last 2 cruises on Discovery we had morning coffee, a hosted breakfast, lunch and dinner plus a pre dinner cocktail date. You don't have to attend of course. Last year we had reserved seats in the theatre but they seem to have stopped that, maybe because other passengers were complaining that we should not have preferential treatment. The solo social events will vary from ship to ship and I found the offerings on discovery good.

Thanks for that. The itinerary I am looking at is on Spirit. I would expect maybe less events as it is smaller but do you know if they have a social hostess for solos on all ships?

Thanks for sharing your experience. I normally sail with P&O when going solo and they have solo tables in the MDR and also morning Coffee Meets, usually hosted on sea days.

I've lost count of the P&O cruises and only just started going on Thomson. P&O ships are maybe a little better, but Thomson is much more fun.:D

Thanks for that. The itinerary I am looking at is on Spirit. I would expect maybe less events as it is smaller but do you know if they have a social hostess for solos on all ships?

I've done two solo cruises on the Spirit and both have had a social hostess, annoyingly I can't remember her name despite being the same woman both times!

The number of events usually depends on the length of the cruise rather than the size of the ship.

I'm glad I went along to the solo meet ups, met some really nice people who I met up with in the evenings for dinner and arranged meet ups between us too, out with the ones arranged by Thomson. Also, check out the Roll Call sub form, on my last cruise we had a forum meet up which a lot of people went along to.

I've done two solo cruises on the Spirit and both have had a social hostess, annoyingly I can't remember her name despite being the same woman both times!

The number of events usually depends on the length of the cruise rather than the size of the ship.

I'm glad I went along to the solo meet ups, met some really nice people who I met up with in the evenings for dinner and arranged meet ups between us too, out with the ones arranged by Thomson. Also, check out the Roll Call sub form, on my last cruise we had a forum meet up which a lot of people went along to.

Thanks for that. Very useful.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would update you. My original idea was to have a week on Spirit in September. I have for a while really wanted to go to Cuba however, so today have booked on Discovery 2 on a Cuban Fusion itinerary early next year. It spends a full day and a half in Havana, so that should be really good. The departure I am going on was offering a pretty good price for a single inside compared to the other dates on offer, so I took the plunge!

The overnight in Havana is fantastic You're perfectly safe walking the streets til late at night and the music in the bars is just fabulous We've done Cuban Fusion 3 times and will be doing it again in March Have a great time

Thanks for that. I will certainly do my best to have a great time.

• 2 weeks later...

I sailed on Discovery 2 this summer and had a great time. I know everyone's idea of fun is different, but I really like the Thomson cruises for entertainment (I'm trusting Marella will be no different). I think it's a lovely ship.

I didn't do the solo events this time as they clashed with other things I wanted to do more, but they do have them, and I've met some great friends I'm still in touch with in the past - they're advertised in the cruise news.

At dinner I did the mix of tables for one, one - but in a row of 3 so you could chat to those next to you, and the big mixed tables. I'd definitely recommend Gallery 47, which is the upstairs restaurant.

I hope you have a great time. I've just booked for Discovery 1, which I believe is exactly the same.

Just thought I would update you. My original idea was to have a week on Spirit in September. I have for a while really wanted to go to Cuba however, so today have booked on Discovery 2 on a Cuban Fusion itinerary early next year. It spends a full day and a half in Havana, so that should be really good. The departure I am going on was offering a pretty good price for a single inside compared to the other dates on offer, so I took the plunge!

Well done. I also like this itinerary. I am hoping that this could be our next booking but need to take my time planting the seeds so Himself thinks it's his idea. It worked well for the Baltic cruise we go on next year

Thanks for that Gary T. I am going with a very open mind but will still be a tad apprehensive as it is a very different product from any of the other cruises I have been on. I am looking forward to it - it calls at Havana so what's not to look forward to?!

Well done. I also like this itinerary. I am hoping that this could be our next booking but need to take my time planting the seeds so Himself thinks it's his idea. It worked well for the Baltic cruise we go on next year

Thanks K8ti.

• 5 weeks later...

Just back from Thomson Celebration and spoke to one solo traveller who was most disappointed that nothing whatsoever was arranged for solo travellers. She was at the point of putting a note under all the single cabins to arrange their own get togethers