Beware of Hurtengruten's booking and deposit policy!!!!

KirkNC

We had taken one cruise on Hurtengruten and booked a second when my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer. We canceled our booking and received a full refund minus $100/pp cancelation fee. This was very fair.

We rebooked basically the same cruise for a year later, 18 months in advance of the actual sailing. The cruise we booked was one of the Arctic expedition cruise which require a certain amount of fitness. We became concerned that it might be a little too much for us so we decided to cancel 14 months before the sailing. Little did we know that Hurtengruten had changed their deposit refund policy from $100/pp to keeping the full deposit amount, a whooping $5,700 :o:o. When we booked there was no discussion from their rep that the deposit policy had changed, nothing on their website and nothing on the invoice. We found out when we went to cancel. They had provided a link in an email to their terms and conditions. I asked them to reconsider their policy given our circumstances and got a firm no, should have read the policy. So, if still want to do business with a company like this, go ahead but beware.

Might depend on the total cost of your cruise as well as close to departure you cancel

If you book more than 60 days before your scheduled departure date a non-refundable deposit of 20%.

The balance is due 60 days before your scheduled departure date.

this is Hurtigruten cancellation policy

When the cancellation letter is received by us before departure

Charges as a % of the total holiday cost (excl. insurance premiums)

60 or more days, Retention of deposit

42–59 days - 30%

28–41 days - 60%

14–27 days - 90%

Less than 14 days - 100%

In case og cancellation your travel insurance should cover any costs.

Might depend on the total cost of your cruise as well as close to departure you cancel

If you book more than 60 days before your scheduled departure date a non-refundable deposit of 20%.

The balance is due 60 days before your scheduled departure date.

this is Hurtigruten cancellation policy

When the cancellation letter is received by us before departure

Charges as a % of the total holiday cost (excl. insurance premiums)

60 or more days, Retention of deposit

42–59 days - 30%

28–41 days - 60%

14–27 days - 90%

Less than 14 days - 100%

In case og cancellation your travel insurance should cover any costs.

That policy has been in place for the non-US market but the US market was just changed in June of 2017. A little notice to us would have been nice.

I couldn't believe it the first time I saw a large deposit, as Aussies loose their deposits on all cruises. $100 yes, $5,700 no!

Needless to say, I didn't proceed with booking the cruise, which I wanted to cruise on.

Seems a huge loss for 14 months in advance. Did you query it? Could you get a supporting letter from your doctor?

Our insurance policies don't cover us for cancellation for any reason, but do cover us for ill health, of course.

It was shocking to us as well. I guess shame on us for “assuming the policy had not changed” so we did not study the lengthy cruise contract but apparently with Hurtengruten that’s what you need to do each and every cruise in case they change it. I find a despicable way for a company to operate but I guess their shareholders come first.

That policy has been in place for the non-US market but the US market was just changed in June of 2017. A little notice to us would have been nice.

Yikes.

We booked prior to June, so although this doesn't apply to us, it would in the future. *IF* we sail again with Hurtigruten.

Chances are, we would not have made this reservation with that type of non-refundable deposit, especially for approximately or more than a year in advance.

Even if we had the CFAR (Cancel For Any Reason) insurance coverage, that 25% remaining (our policies pay 75% if CFAR is invoked, which hasn't happened... yet) would be stiff given that at this stage in our lives, we get upscale accommodations (= $$$!).

We mostly get CFAR because of *very* elderly MIL (approaching 100). She's still very vigorous and sharp as a tack (oh, how I hope DH has a lot of her "good" genes!), but she IS... approaching 100.

Although she insists we should never return "for her" now that we've started serious travel, IF she got "sick but not enough for a doctor to say DH should return", without a doubt, he'd want to come back. Anything can happen at that age, and fast...

But that is a really stiff penalty, especially for really advanced reservations!

We were hoping that we'd have a ball, and then go on some other itineraries (with an eye on Antarctica).

Maybe not anymore.

Too bad.

GC

Yikes.

We booked prior to June, so although this doesn't apply to us, it would in the future. *IF* we sail again with Hurtigruten.

Chances are, we would not have made this reservation with that type of non-refundable deposit, especially for approximately or more than a year in advance.

Even if we had the CFAR (Cancel For Any Reason) insurance coverage, that 25% remaining (our policies pay 75% if CFAR is invoked, which hasn't happened... yet) would be stiff given that at this stage in our lives, we get upscale accommodations (= $$$!).

We mostly get CFAR because of *very* elderly MIL (approaching 100). She's still very vigorous and sharp as a tack (oh, how I hope DH has a lot of her "good" genes!), but she IS... approaching 100.

Although she insists we should never return "for her" now that we've started serious travel, IF she got "sick but not enough for a doctor to say DH should return", without a doubt, he'd want to come back. Anything can happen at that age, and fast...

But that is a really stiff penalty, especially for really advanced reservations!

We were hoping that we'd have a ball, and then go on some other itineraries (with an eye on Antarctica).

Maybe not anymore.

Too bad.

GC

Geezer Couple, love that name.

If we had been aware of the non refundable nature of the deposit we would not have booked. Maybe that’s why they don’t tell you during the booking process. I think this policy will really hurt theirs business in the US

as no other line has such a punitive refund policy.

Geezer Couple, love that name.

Thanks! ;)

If we had been aware of the non refundable nature of the deposit we would not have booked. Maybe that’s why they don’t tell you during the booking process. I think this policy will really hurt theirs business in the US

as no other line has such a punitive refund policy.

Do you mean they did not state the policy *anywhere* on the reservation documentation/information, or that it was buried in tiny print, perhaps in the middle of descriptions of weather or whatever?

IF the former, that's totally unacceptable.

We used our new TA (who we "met" through assistance with awards air tix), and we had it in writing well before we paid anything, before we were even certain we'd be going.

However, we've noticed that some premium/luxury cruise lines (and top suites on others) are starting to change the deadlines for cancelling, and the penalties. But even so, as far as we know now, either one can cancel up to about 6 months in advance or at least, the penalty is modest. But, ahem, I'm going to double/triple check before making any new reservations!

Thanks for the heads up, and sorry you are dealing with all of this.

GC

Yikes.

Maybe not anymore.

Too bad.

GC

You don't need to book far ahead for either Hurtigruten's Coastal Voyage nor Antarctica, which limits the risk.

You don't need to book far ahead for either Hurtigruten's Coastal Voyage nor Antarctica, which limits the risk.

We usually do need to book far in advance, given our preference in terms of accommodations.

Otherwise, right, it wouldn't be as much of a problem.

Although we also like to get premium air tix with awards and to get two on the same flight, we do try to do that when they are first available, and then... we'd like to know we've got the cruise to go with it also.

Thanks.

GC

We usually do need to book far in advance, given our preference in terms of accommodations.

Otherwise, right, it wouldn't be as much of a problem.

Although we also like to get premium air tix with awards and to get two on the same flight, we do try to do that when they are first available, and then... we'd like to know we've got the cruise to go with it also.

Thanks.

GC

I can understand if you require particular accommodation, the necessity to book in advance.

As I have to book long haul flights, I have been known to book non refundable flights in advance, with plan B, if the cruise doesn't come off, at a price I'm willing to pay.

I can understand if you require particular accommodation, the necessity to book in advance.

As I have to book long haul flights, I have been known to book non refundable flights in advance, with plan B, if the cruise doesn't come off, at a price I'm willing to pay.

Right.

When it's entirely or mostly a land-based trip, we can be more flexible, and get tickets on a variety of dates, and stay a bit longer or shorter. But with a cruise... that ship is leaving with us or without us...! And they aren't cutting the cruise short because "we" needed an earlier return due to awards availability :evilsmile:

For our Norway coastal RT next March, we did this just about a year in advance, and we did have some flexibility because we wanted to spend "about a week" first in Oslo plus a couple of days in Bergen. So that helped us to get flights.

Returning, we had a flight the day the ship got back to Bergen, which we didn't like, but there weren't award seats the next day, and we had a tighter schedule at home, so we couldn't take "a few more days" or such (or *really* didn't want to). Then, the airline changed schedules, leading to an impossible connection. So.... they allowed us to go the next day :D (How is that for luck!?)

It was a lot easier before we started flying some of the longer-haul international and wanted (actually, needed) flat bed seats if it was a really long flight. For those, because of the cost, we really want to use awards, or the price gets totally crazy.

GC

Do you mean they did not state the policy *anywhere* on the reservation documentation/information, or that it was buried in tiny print, perhaps in the middle of descriptions of weather or whatever?

IF the former, that's totally unacceptable.

We used our new TA (who we "met" through assistance with awards air tix), and we had it in writing well before we paid anything, before we were even certain we'd be going.

However, we've noticed that some premium/luxury cruise lines (and top suites on others) are starting to change the deadlines for cancelling, and the penalties. But even so, as far as we know now, either one can cancel up to about 6 months in advance or at least, the penalty is modest. But, ahem, I'm going to double/triple check before making any new reservations!

Thanks for the heads up, and sorry you are dealing with all of this.

GC

Unlike other cruise lines, there was no mention of cancellations on the invoice or confirmation email. The reservation was made by phone and there was no mention of it there either. The confirm email did have a link to terms and conditions but no language saying something like “read this as our policy has recently changed “.

$5700 seems to be a lot at first but I guess it is still just 20% of the cruise fare. Seems totally normal to me.

I just checked it their T&C page online and it has a last edited date directly below the heading. A change history would be nice but it is still pretty consumer friendly and easy to read.

$5700 seems to be a lot at first but I guess it is still just 20% of the cruise fare. Seems totally normal to me.

I just checked it their T&C page online and it has a last edited date directly below the heading. A change history would be nice but it is still pretty consumer friendly and easy to read.

It is normal for non-US customers but I am not aware of any other lines with this policy for US customers. Not implying the US is special just that the policy is diff. Part of the reason I posted this thread was to make US customers aware as they will not be expecting it.

And I thank you for the information Kirk! I was on Hurtigruten in 2005 and would like to do another trip within the next couple of years. I would not have known to check closely as the previous trip did not have the non-refundable condition. I do get trip insurance but just like to be fully informed. It's a wonderful experience to visit coastal Norway!

~Nancy

• 1 month later...

I wanted to provide an update to this story. I had a call today from one of the executives at Hurtengruten who stated that I would be receiving a full refund of my deposit. He agreed they could have done a better job in highlighting such a significant policy change. I have to commend them on reversing their stance on this. Their new policy does remain in place but they are working to disclose it in a more apparent way.

I wanted to provide an update to this story. I had a call today from one of the executives at Hurtengruten who stated that I would be receiving a full refund of my deposit. He agreed they could have done a better job in highlighting such a significant policy change. I have to commend them on reversing their stance on this. Their new policy does remain in place but they are working to disclose it in a more apparent way.

This is quite a nice surprise! It's nice to have some "good customer service" information, even if it initially seemed really poor.

Thanks for the update.

We'd still need to think a lot longer and harder before booking again with Hurtigruten, but at least we won't have a seriously unpleasant feeling about them.

And, of course, the same... during our cruise this winter.

GC