Packing for 2-week Hawaii cruise

PrettyPenny7

I'm not sure if this belongs here or under "1st Timer Cruisers" - I'm not a 1st-timer, but Hawaii will be my 1st long trip ever. Please forgive me!

I am the queen of packing light for a weekend trip, but I honestly have no idea what to do for something lasting 14-15. Wondering if it would be more sensible to buy laundry service on the ship. Any tips/advice would be welcome!

On our 15day Hawaii cruise, we packed for a 7day clothes and accessories on our 36” duffel bag. Was a little lighter since we brought clothes for an anticipated tropical weather and less fancy for many sea days. We used the laundry service twice for the period.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

First verify that you have self service laundry on board the ship. If you do then you can cut back on what you wear.

Also at night time what you wear you are only wearing a few hours so you can often wear the same item such as evening ware.

other times without washing it again.

Keith

Very good points - a lot of days at sea means I'll be living in swimwear anyway during the day. Also very smart to only worry about one formal outfit for nights - you're right, I didn't wear that dress after dinner was over! It was right back to the room for comfy clothes.

I also checked and the ship does have self-service laundry :-) much cheaper than I expected, too. Thank you both for the help!

Depending on what time of year and where you're sailing from' date=' you may want to pack some cool weather wear. People get shocked that LA can actually get into the 50s, even lower, in the wintertime.[/quote']

Going in late April-early May; very unsure of what is weather-appropriate for LA that time of year. (I promise I will look into it further today :D)

• 4 weeks later...

After living here in Kona awhile, I learned to avoid the Target store on days the POA or another cruise ship is in town... why? The place is packed with cruisers who tend to pack light for their Hawaii cruise, and when they hit Kona, they take the free shuttle from the pier to Target and stock up on the ample supply of Aloha shirts, Hawaii-themed t-shirts, clean shorts, a new set of board shorts, etc. for the rest of their cruise. The local Target is well stocked with this kind of stuff, and has a big souvenir section with lots of real local products like Kona coffee on the shelfs. I'm kind of impressed... some of them even buy a cheap suitcase to pack all the stuff in for the trip home, so coming out here they must pack pretty light!

• 4 weeks later...

I now pack 2 week cruises like they were 7 days and figure on 5 slacks with blouses to match then repeat alternating my blouses. I also try and eliminate the larger suitcases and go with two carry on size. I have gotten by using the 22 " and had 85 % of my clothes in it. With flying I especially want the majority of my clothes in the carry on so should one of the suitcases goes astray I am not without clothes for the 2 weeks.

I also try and eliminate the larger suitcases and go with two carry on size. I have gotten by using the 22 " and had 85 % of my clothes in it. With flying I especially want the majority of my clothes in the carry on so should one of the suitcases goes astray I am not without clothes for the 2 weeks.

This is very smart! Thank you :D

Penny your welcome, I will set out my clothes on the bed, slacks, dress/skirt, shorts, evening attire, whatever I plan to take over the 2 weeks. I mix & match the blouses that can go with several clothes. I have pretty much stopped bring dresses. I plan on black slacks for formal with 2 to 3 tops to alternate.

My evening casual attire I will alternate the remaining slacks and also try and keep the evening shoes down to 2 pair, then repeat the following week. The first & 2nd formal night generally will be the 2nd evening then near the weekend of that week, while your final formal night will be two nights before arriving back to Port. They have never had a formal night the evening before arriving back at port because you will be packing and setting your luggage outside or carrying off.

I also use the Packing cubes to separate slacks, blouses, etc. This way everything is in their case and packs better. On last cruise, the 15 day TA I even had levies in the 20" plus the slacks and blouses and still kept the suitcase under the weight limit. if I hadn't needed to bring extra stuff for our Roll Call I could have used the 22 " for the extra clothes etc.

Going in late April-early May; very unsure of what is weather-appropriate for LA that time of year. (I promise I will look into it further today :D)

Unless it’s weird weather, it’s beautiful, 70’s and nice in SoCal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Very good points - a lot of days at sea means I'll be living in swimwear anyway during the day. Also very smart to only worry about one formal outfit for nights - you're right, I didn't wear that dress after dinner was over! It was right back to the room for comfy clothes.

I also checked and the ship does have self-service laundry :-) much cheaper than I expected, too. Thank you both for the help!

All you need to wear is your bikini during sea days, and a Hawaiian or tropical shirt/halter top, skorts, for evenings and for dinners in the MDR. Bring a cover up for your bikini if you want to eat breakfast/lunch in the MDR. Bikini ok to wear in the buffet all day and night. No need to bring any type of formal wear, even for Formal Night dining in the MDR. Bring casual shoes, sandals, and / or flip flops. Bring a sun hat. Bring a collapsible duffel bag for souvenirs. Done.

You should be able to easily do a 15 day Hawaii cruise in a 22’ carry on bag. :D

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

If I go on a cruise (doesn't matter where) I pack what fit's into my suitcase (and is allowed on the flight). Sometimes I bring along

some old clothes, which I will leave behind and so make space for gifts and souvenirs.