Angkor Wat 2-Day Adventure

djheck67

My wife and I are doing the 14 night Hong Kong to Singapore cruise on Millenium on December 21, 2018. We were told that we must see Angkor Wat in Cambodia while the ship is overnight in Bangkok. Does anyone recommend this over sightseeing in Bangkok, and should we take this 2 day excursion with Celebrity or with another touring group? We are aware Celebrity would probably be more expensive, but if they do a great job and give us more peace of mind, we are willing to pay extra. However, a more intimate group with a highly reputable and reliable tour company (Viator?) AND much lower cost would be attractive. Any advice is much appreciated!

We nearly took an Angkor Wat overnight tour with Princess but didn't book it as it was so expensive.

I kept an eye out for a lady who took it and asked her what she thought when they returned. She was exhausted with all the travelling, and they didn't spend a lot of time at Angkor Wat.

We did it after we returned home about six months after. And so very glad we did.

Siem Reap was very inexpensive to get to from Singapore and the hotel was amazing for not a lot of money.

We spent 5 days there and it was perfect. Lots to see and very full days. We alternated one full day touring and then one quiet day.

So glad we didn't try and fit it all into an overnighter as we wouldn't have had a full day at Angkor Wat.

Truly an amazing trip!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

We agree. We have spent several winters in SE Asia. A quick trip like the one the OP describes would be too rushed.

I have no doubt that the cruise line prices are high. But this is a trip that is quite inexpensive to do on your own from Bangkok or Chiang Mai. You can get very inexpensive flights to Siem Reap. Hotels are not expensive. Two years ago we payed about $45 USD a day for a tour guide who had and AC lexus FWD. We had him for two full days. We started at 9AM and finished at 3PM because it was so hot. Hotels are very inexpensive.

We agree. We have spent several winters in SE Asia. A quick trip like the one the OP describes would be too rushed.

I have no doubt that the cruise line prices are high. But this is a trip that is quite inexpensive to do on your own from Bangkok or Chiang Mai. You can get very inexpensive flights to Siem Reap. Hotels are not expensive. Two years ago we payed about $45 USD a day for a tour guide who had and AC lexus FWD. We had him for two full days. We started at 9AM and finished at 3PM because it was so hot. Hotels are very inexpensive.

On our Azamara October 2019 cruise, it is being offered as a two-day excursion from Bangkok. It's about $3,000 for the two of us and we would have only until 4 pm on the third day to see Bangkok. We can't justify the excursion for the price as well as missing a good deal of Bangkok. Someone on the Azamara boards mentioned doing it independently during our two days in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) and then meeting up with the ship in Bangkok. I am just not that adventurous. It would involve getting visas and making connections in a part of the world which we are just not too familiar with. Ho Chi Minh City doesn't look great (as opposed to the rest of the itinerary), but we will have to miss this Ankgor Wat (I still work for a living and have no time post cruise).

We spent three nights in Angkor Wot. We were on an extended land trip. We flew in from Chiang Mai but could have easitly done it from Bangkok. The air fare(one way from DMK) was $50. on AIr Asia. We only required one way since we travelling onward by land. We paid $20 to enter the country/have our photos taken. (Canadian Passports). We exited the hotel and immediately found a driver who took us to our hotel. The cost was minimal.

Our hotel was very nice. Not fancy, maybe 2.5 stars. It included a cooked to order breakfast, good room with AC, pool (need this after a day of touring). We paid $30. night. I well situated, just across the river from the market area. We could easily walk everywhere. The hotel was spotlessly clean and he staff were exceedingly friendly.

Our guide/vehicle was $45. day. He was excellent and got is where we needed to be ahead of he crowds. He also explained much about the politics-past and current. We had to buy a mult day pass to see the sites. I forget how much this was. I believe that we paid about $25 each to attend an evening of traditional dance. This included dinner.

This might should give you an idea of the costs for independent travel.

Going from Vietnam may involve a different Visa. They change often, as do the prices. We spent a month in Vietnam and bought a single entry 30 day visa. It seems me that a multiple entry was considerably more expensive...for us at least. The prices vary based on your passport.

On our Azamara October 2019 cruise, it is being offered as a two-day excursion from Bangkok. It's about $3,000 for the two of us and we would have only until 4 pm on the third day to see Bangkok. We can't justify the excursion for the price as well as missing a good deal of Bangkok. Someone on the Azamara boards mentioned doing it independently during our two days in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) and then meeting up with the ship in Bangkok. I am just not that adventurous. It would involve getting visas and making connections in a part of the world which we are just not too familiar with. Ho Chi Minh City doesn't look great (as opposed to the rest of the itinerary), but we will have to miss this Ankgor Wat (I still work for a living and have no time post cruise).

I wouldn’t miss HCMC or Bangkok for Angkor Wat, given logistics of seeing it during the cruise. Wait for another time, if you cannot do it pre or post cruise, because of time issues.

But, I do agree with Iancal, Siem Reap is worth a few days, if one has the time. It is a cheap add on for those willing to DIY. Cambodian visas are easily obtained on entry.

We like cruising. But after spending three winters in SE Asia (with a fourth this year) we believe that the absolute best way to visit, see, and experience Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam is either by independent land travel (very easy) or by organized land tour. We have kept our eyes open for a cruise to break up our land trips however cruises visiting those countries cannot dock very close to where the real attractions are.

I wouldn’t miss HCMC or Bangkok for Angkor Wat, given logistics of seeing it during the cruise. Wait for another time, if you cannot do it pre or post cruise, because of time issues.

But, I do agree with Iancal, Siem Reap is worth a few days, if one has the time. It is a cheap add on for those willing to DIY. Cambodian visas are easily obtained on entry.

Thank you. I looked at Azamara's list of excursions for HCMC and none really appealed to me. I have a long time to figure it out. Bangkok is a different story. There are enough very interesting to do and see there to last much longer than the three days we'll be there.

We are just finishing up a wonderful 4day 3 night post cruise trip to Angkor Wat/Siem Reap. There is so much to see that I would never suggest just an overnight visit. Flights were easily arranged. We used the services of Sam Sophea and all was excellent. We were met at airport and transferred to hotel in Siem Reap. We had daily tours with him and now are awaiting our trip back to airport to return home. We stayed at Park Hyatt on points and it has a great location able to walk to Pub Street and Night Market.

This has been a great no hassle way to visit awe inspiring Angkor Wat!

Everything depends on your interest and stamina.

We have chosen to do the Azamara short trip and many guide books say it is doable. Does that mean you will see everything, no of course not but major sights are covered. We have been to Bangkok 5 times so this was perfect for us as I would not leave ship in Asia and hope that times worked out to make it back. We have traded in Asia for business many times and flights are not dependable.

Flights not dependable? We have spent three of the last four winters in SE Asia. Flying in and around Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, and Malaysia. Air Asia, NOK, Tiger, Jetstar, Vietnam Airlines to name a few that we have flown on.

We have never had a delay of any consequence, or a cancellation. In fact.....we find that the service level on some of these flights and the condition of the planes far better than we often experience in North America.

Edited by iancal

Thank you. I looked at Azamara's list of excursions for HCMC and none really appealed to me. I have a long time to figure it out. Bangkok is a different story. There are enough very interesting to do and see there to last much longer than the three days we'll be there.

We did HCMC on a land trip and while we were in the city we only did one organized tour. For the most part we just walked or took taxis. We enjoyed the War Remnants museum, Ben Thanh market and just walking neighborhoods.

Our only tour was kind of an oddball thing...a motorbike foodie tour at night. It was fun zipping around amongst all the motorbikes...although my husband was giving me looks of "what in the heck did you get us into" for the first couple rides between restaurants. The bikes were driven by women in traditional dress. Tour companies do similar daytime tours of sights if you are up for a "different" adventure.

We spent several days in HCMC. One thing we did was arrange a tour to the Chi Chi tunnels. We found this very interesting. Many of travel agents in town sell them. It was a half day tour. About 10 or so of us on the bus. We stopped at a craft store on way. The products were made by the 2nd, 3rd, and some cases 4th generation of locals with birth defects resulting from agent orange. Very good narrative in the tunnel area about how it all worked. We paid $18. each. This seemed to be the going rate two winters ago.

I do agree the planes and staff outside of China are excellent but many times we had delays. Weather often was problem and when you are doing it during a cruise stop and hoping to make it back on a time line my opinion is not great idea.

• 3 weeks later...
We spent three nights in Angkor Wot. We were on an extended land trip. We flew in from Chiang Mai but could have easitly done it from Bangkok. The air fare(one way from DMK) was $50. on AIr Asia. We only required one way since we travelling onward by land. We paid $20 to enter the country/have our photos taken. (Canadian Passports). We exited the hotel and immediately found a driver who took us to our hotel. The cost was minimal.

Our hotel was very nice. Not fancy, maybe 2.5 stars. It included a cooked to order breakfast, good room with AC, pool (need this after a day of touring). We paid $30. night. I well situated, just across the river from the market area. We could easily walk everywhere. The hotel was spotlessly clean and he staff were exceedingly friendly.

Our guide/vehicle was $45. day. He was excellent and got is where we needed to be ahead of he crowds. He also explained much about the politics-past and current. We had to buy a mult day pass to see the sites. I forget how much this was. I believe that we paid about $25 each to attend an evening of traditional dance. This included dinner.

This might should give you an idea of the costs for independent travel.

Going from Vietnam may involve a different Visa. They change often, as do the prices. We spent a month in Vietnam and bought a single entry 30 day visa. It seems me that a multiple entry was considerably more expensive...for us at least. The prices vary based on your passport.

Would love to know the name of your hotel and your tour guide.

Thanks!

Just looked it up.

We stayed at Central Indochine D'Angkor Hotel. March 5-9, 2016. We paid $118. USD total bill for the entire stay. This hotel is very clean. Well within walking distance of Pub Street.

IF you book, get a room on the pool side of the hotel.

Got the guide from tripadvisor. He was in the top five. Still looking. If I find it I will post.

We used Angkor Sam. They were excellent. We had both a driver and guide. The driver would frequently drive to another area for pickup to save backtrack walking. Air conditioned van with bottled water and cold towels after most stops.

They did a great job of timing temple visits during less crowded times. Lekh (our guide) knew all the best photo opportunities and was a great photographer for shots of the two of us. Hotel pick up was 7:30 and we finished about 3:00. Cost in 2017 was $155 for two days. 3 day Park pass (purchased separately) went up from $40 to $62 pp in 2017. First morning they take you to the entry to purchase the passes.

I think we also used Angkor Sam...that name rings a bell. His spouse taught at a local college.

Whatever you do...don't settle for a tuk tuk tour. Dusty, hot. Nothing like getting back to an A/C vehicle with a cooler full of cold water. Besides, a car and driver will not only get you to the right spots,,,,it will get you to the right spots at the Right time.