Final Payment and Specialty Restaurants

ricka47

I note that specialty restaurant reservations can be made online after final payment is made. Does this mean that there is an advantage to making the final payment as early as possible to ensure getting the times that we'd like to have?

As far as making any other specialty reservations once on board, do these fill up quickly at the beginning of a cruise?

No, paying early does not equate to better reservations. It is done by your cabin category. See below:

Also, once onboard, in the AM of the day you wish more reservations, check with your butler if you have one, or check in to the reservations desk, either on deck 4 on Riveria/Marina, or in the Terrace Cafe on all others.

Rules for booking Specialty Reservations (found in Frequently Asked Questions, under Dining on Oceania website)

How many dining reservations am I allowed in each specialty restaurant?

Guests are permitted to make the following reservations in our specialty restaurants - which vary by ship, category and length of cruise:

Marina and Riviera

Owner’s Suite, Vista Suite and Oceania Suite

Cruises 7 days or less: 1 reservation at each restaurant

Cruises 8-17 days: 2 reservations at each restaurant

Cruises 18 days or more: 3 reservations at each restaurant

Penthouse Suite

Cruises 17 days or less: 1 reservations at each restaurant

Cruises 18 days or more: 2 reservations at each restaurant

Concierge Level Veranda, Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Stateroom

All cruises: 1 reservations at each restaurant

Insignia, Nautica, Regatta and Sirena

Concierge Level Veranda and above

Cruises 7 days or less: 1 reservation at each restaurant

Cruises 8-17 days: 2 reservations at each restaurant

Cruises 18 days or more: 3 reservations at each restaurant

All other categories

Cruises 17 days or less: 1 reservations at each restaurant

Cruises 18 days or more: 2 reservations at each restaurant

When can I make reservations in the specialty restaurant?

Specialty restaurant reservations may be made in advance in the Booked Cruises section of My Account on our website, or by phone, according to the schedule below, and may be changed up until 7 days prior to sailing. Reservations must be paid in full prior to making reservations. Reservations may also be made onboard. Guests with priority embarkation privileges (Concierge and above) will have Priority Reservations from 11:00am until 1:00pm in Polo Grill. Guests in other staterooms can make their specialty restaurant reservations from 1:00pm - 5pm.

Owner’s Suite, Vista Suite and Oceania Suite

Advance reservations may be made on the date final payment is due and has been received, which varies between 90 and 150 days, depending on length of sailing.

Penthouse Suite

Reservations may be made 75 days prior to sailing, if the booking is paid in full.

Concierge Level Veranda

Reservations may be made 60 days prior to sailing, if the booking is paid in full.

All Other Categories

Reservations may be made 45 days prior to sailing, if the booking is paid in full.

Do you offer kosher dining options?

Yes, please contact special services at least 90 days in advance of your sailing so that we may provide your preferred selections.

I am sailing on Oceania for the first time 12/12/17, but the specialty restaurant reservations can only be made so many days before the embarkation date, and the number of reservations is based on what cabin category you book. Suites for example are guaranteed two reservations in each restaurant whereas categories below suites are only guaranteed one reservation in each specialty restaurant. I was able to make my reservations for a 12/12/17 sailing in a B1 veranda at precisely 12:01a 10/28/17. I was able to get a table for two in all restaurants as I must have been among some of the first in Concierge and lower to make reservations. My choices were limited to times of either 8 or 9 pm. If you are willing to be flexible and share tables with others you will have more choices with dining times. I suggest you make your reservations as soon as they become available. If you go on Oceania.com, "manage your account" can assist you with this.

I note that specialty restaurant reservations can be made online after final payment is made. Does this mean that there is an advantage to making the final payment as early as possible to ensure getting the times that we'd like to have?

As far as making any other specialty reservations once on board, do these fill up quickly at the beginning of a cruise?

Your online account states the date your cabin category gets to make your allotted pre-cruise reservations. Note that it is based on EST. so, if you're in California, your time starts the night before at 9:01PM PST.

If you are on an "extended" or "grand" voyage (multiple segments with single booking number), you will get an allotment for each segment - all bookable on the assigned date for the first segment. However, you must book the allotments associated with each segment on dates within that segment.

As for additional reservations once onboard, check in the early AM at the hotelier desk across from the main reception area on Riviera or Marina and at the Terrace Grill on any of the R ships. As someone else mentioned, if you have a butler, he can make arrangements for you. Individual restaurant maitre d's also have discretionary powers each evening. But, I wouldn't always count on that unless you're looking at late seating.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sailed on the Riviera in September 2017 and made the four allowed specialty reservations on the day the online reservations could be made. Had NO luck in getting any extra specialty reservations while on board --- we had a concierge and he did not help at all (not sure he even tried); we went to a couple of restaurants about 10 - 15 minutes after the hour (suggested by the concierge) in case there were any no shows --- did not work. If you want extra specialty reservations, perhaps if you meet up with anyone with a table, perhaps they could add to that reservation - if you all want to dine together. Or, the reservation desk may have a spot if you share a table. Seemed to me that those who had cruised with Oceania several times before were able to get extra reservations.

. Or, the reservation desk may have a spot if you share a table. Seemed to me that those who had cruised with Oceania several times before were able to get extra reservations.

It is the luck of the draw

We sometimes had luck in getting extra reservations but sometimes not

You have to go early in the day & get your name on the list

If you are flexible in time & willing to share you stand a better chance of getting in but not always

Now once is enough for us the menus are the same now as a few years ago

I was on line at about 12:05 am on the first available date for the main cabiners and Jacques was sold out on tables for two; sharing a table at a French restaurant is for me a real downer. Oceania suggested that some tables have been held back and can be booked on board; we’ll see next month.

I was on line at about 12:05 am on the first available date for the main cabiners and Jacques was sold out on tables for two; sharing a table at a French restaurant is for me a real downer. Oceania suggested that some tables have been held back and can be booked on board; we’ll see next month.

Tables are held back, because every passenger is not aware of the reservation system and (gasp!) not everyone is even online.

For what it is worth, making final payment early does make a difference for the Suites above Penthouse level. They may book Specialties as soon as final is paid, even if that is six months ahead.

Keep in mind for the next time, that being in CST you could have logged on at 11:00pm. That's what I did on our upcoming cruise and got all the times we wanted(early, 6:30) at tables for 2, on sea days, which are generally harder to get.

Keep in mind for the next time, that being in CST you could have logged on at 11:00pm. That's what I did on our upcoming cruise and got all the times we wanted(early, 6:30) at tables for 2, on sea days, which are generally harder to get.

So, the best strategy for this O newbie is to get online at 12:01 Eastern time to book the specialty reservations allotted for our cabin class. Then, once on board, check early in the AM to either get a table for two (if available) or share if we want to go that route. Do I have that right?

As far as the MDR goes, are there times when there are long waits? I understand that the shows are at 9:30? So, if we eat between 7:00 and 7:30, we should be fine. I'm guessing that is a pretty busy time though?

keep checking online sometimes more time slots open up

So, the best strategy for this O newbie is to get online at 12:01 Eastern time to book the specialty reservations allotted for our cabin class. Then, once on board, check early in the AM to either get a table for two (if available) or share if we want to go that route. Do I have that right?

As far as the MDR goes, are there times when there are long waits? I understand that the shows are at 9:30? So, if we eat between 7:00 and 7:30, we should be fine. I'm guessing that is a pretty busy time though?

Sounds like you've got it about right.

It's been my experience that the longest wait for the MDR is usually right as it opens up. Many of Oceania's regulars like to eat early. You never know for sure, just go when you want and you should be okay. Some cruises have quite a few people eat in the Terrace, other's more in the MDR.

Sounds like you've got it about right.

It's been my experience that the longest wait for the MDR is usually right as it opens up. Many of Oceania's regulars like to eat early. You never know for sure, just go when you want and you should be okay. Some cruises have quite a few people eat in the Terrace, other's more in the MDR.

All that is true but if one really wants a table for 2 than it's best to be there a few minutes before the restaurant opens (even if you stand in line for a few minutes). That way you not only get a table for 2 but you can choose the best ones (by the window, in the back, etc) :)

Your online course is correct. Remember, though, that if you are on a multi-segment cruise with a single booking number (I.e., "extended" or "grand voyage), you can book for all your segments on the opening date for the first one. You just have to keep the correct number of reservations picked during the corresponding segment dates.

Occasionally, there will be a not-too-terrible line at the MDR and I've experienced being offered specialty dining seats as an alternative when the line was a bit "too long."

Actually, we seldom eat at the MDR since we prefer the Terrace Grill when we're not going to one of the specialty restaurants. Terrace usually has some of the day's MDR menu as well as ethnic cuisine (including sushi) and "a la minute" cooking (steak, lobster tail, etc). This is not the "buffet" you find on mass market lines. Food is served by kitchen personnel and wait staff are available to transport your dishes to your table. There's bar service and "al fresco" dining (weather/sea conditions permitting).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

LOL; Good tip but I WAS on at 11:05 CST; all Jacque gone, reserves for two at other restos were 8 or 9 pm; one 6:30 on a so so date disappeared before I could grab it. Maybe your cruise had fewer bookings. Last cruise I did Concierge Level and had no issue; I really enjoyed Red Ginger, and Toscana and Jacque to a lesser extent but not enough to care to spend the $ this time.

That's good to know about the Terrace Grill. Normally, we don't head to the buffets for dinner. But, it appears that this option is much different on Oceania - thanks!

A delightful al fresco alternative.....

ImageHandler.ashx?Gallery=oceania-cruises-terrace-cafe-patio-restaurant.jpg Listen carefully, you can almost hear the Champagne corks popping as another glorious port is remembered :halo: