Need recommendation for hotel in Singapore and Tokyo, thanks!

gam888

We will be in Singapore for a day pre-cruise, and one day in Tokyo post cruise in April. Need to find a hotel to stay in both of these cities for one day. We will be flying into Singapore from Canada, a very long flight and should arrive by 1pm. Given the fact that we will be tried, would probably take a taxi from the airport to the hotel. Would it be best to get a hotel right in the center so it will be convenient to see the attractions? Not sure if we should go with the hop on and off bus or take the subway? We would have 3/4 of a day to sightsee, and the next day we will board the ship. On the last day of the cruise, we will get off in Tokyo in the morning. Again, probably best to find a hotel in the center. Any recommendations of hotels, or transportation suggestions are welcome! Thanks in advance.

We will be in Singapore for a day pre-cruise, and one day in Tokyo post cruise in April. Need to find a hotel to stay in both of these cities for one day. We will be flying into Singapore from Canada, a very long flight and should arrive by 1pm. Given the fact that we will be tried, would probably take a taxi from the airport to the hotel. Would it be best to get a hotel right in the center so it will be convenient to see the attractions? Not sure if we should go with the hop on and off bus or take the subway? We would have 3/4 of a day to sightsee, and the next day we will board the ship. On the last day of the cruise, we will get off in Tokyo in the morning. Again, probably best to find a hotel in the center. Any recommendations of hotels, or transportation suggestions are welcome! Thanks in advance.

I am staying at the Holiday Inn on Orchard pre-cruise. Prices are good and so are the reviews

In Singapore, we stayed at the Hilton Conrad Centennial. We arrived at night and we took the city bus which comes right to the arrivals area of both terminals. It cost us $2.50 each. Bus dropped us off at the Hilton which is directly across from Suntec Centre - shopping centre. We bought at subway pass. We were there for three full days and we took the subway which is directly across the street from the hotel to Marina Bay Pier subway stop and we then walked ten minutes under a covered walkway to the ship (it was the Diamond Princess.) Easy as pie. In terms of Tokyo, beware that the Port is Yokohama. It is not in Tokyo. You have not told us which Tokyo airport, Haneda or Narita you will be using for your return flight to Canada. If it is Narita, there is a great Hilton there that has a free shuttle. But beware it is not in Tokyo proper. If you wanted to visit Tokyo, you would need to take the train into Toyko which is 45 minutes away.

Not knowing how familiar you are with Japan, I just want to first confirm that your cruise ends in Tokyo and not Yokohama. Only small ships can dock in Tokyo's Harumi Pier until the new terminal opens in 2020 Lots of cruise companies market their cruises as Tokyo when in fact the Port is Yokohama's Osanbashi Pier.

Also, please let me know whether the airport you plan to use is Narita or Haneda. Also, how much luggage will you have with you? Does anyone in your group have mobility issues?

With these 4 pieces of info, I can then recommend a hotel for you.

Thank you all for replying my post. We are in our early 60's with no physical mobility issues. However, we do have the occasional shoulder pains, so we would rather not be carrying our luggage through flights of stairs...etc. We usually travel light, one big suitcase each and one small knapsack each. We have never been to Asia before so definitely not familiar with any of the Asian ports. The cruise we are thinking about is a Golden Princess in April. We are also investing another Diamond Princess that sails to Kobe, Japan round trip in May. Just wondering if the weather in Japan in May would be more pleasant than the weather in Singapore and Southeast Asia. Something to think about. Any transportation suggestions are welcome.

Thanks again for all your replies.

• 1 month later...

For Japan, what are your current thoughts of how long your staying post cruise..... did you want a day trip to My Fuji, or were you thinking if going to Kyoto?

Yokohama is about 45-60 min via train south of Tokyo. Tokyo has a number of majors cities within Tokyo....a hotel at Ueno, Tokyo, Shinjuku or Shibuya are all great locations, depending upon how long your staying and what you want to see.

When we finished our cruise, we flew out of Narita at 9pm, so we made our own way to Narita airport, stored our bags at the airport and caught a local train to the township of Narita ( a quaint little village) and had a brilliant afternoon wandering

In Singapore we generally stay at either the Crown Plaza at the airport or the Fairmont (if we can get a reasonable price) for a longer stay. The airport is well connected by metro to anywhere you might want to go and the Crown Plaza is a good hotel, very nice pool and rooms. The Fairmont is in a great location for getting around also, on top of the City Hall metro station and a large shopping centre with many restaurants and across the road from Raffles.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 weeks later...

For Singapore we stay at either THE FOUR SEASONS or the RITZ CARLTON. Marina Bay from what we’ve observed, is very large and far more crowded.....it depends though on what kind of environment you are comfortable in. If we arrive very early, we book the room for an extra day so we have a place to crash after the long flight.

We are in our mis sixties and travel frequently. We stayed at Ibis Bencoolen in Singapore two weeks ago for three nights.

It is a standard Ibis room. Slightly small but with everything you need. Great buffet breakfast. It was very convenient to Arab Street, India area, etc. We would not hesitate to stay there again.

In Singapore we like the...Royal Plaza on Scott's Road....great hotel and location.

I second the recommendation for Royal Plaza on Scott’s Road. Shortly after booking I was offered the ability to upgrade to the executive floor for a very reasonable upcharge. We had excellent service there and it is only half a block to the Ion Orchard mall and subway station. The subway in Singapore is the best we have been on - clean, reasonably priced, easy ticket purchase from self-explanatory kiosks and the trains always came on time with no more than a few minutes wait.

Royal Plaza on Scott’s Road:

1a1ca9db08f940596fa64f6d35671c69.jpg

7663dc2f26741f4c850bdc4bdbad3961.jpg

The Ion Orchard:

da20df9fa0ae8661e0900213392f90b1.jpg

58a182f6b440f9988543cdf949ffacad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk