Embarkation Time in MIA

ricka47

We are in the habit of getting to the port early so that we can drop off our luggage and get on board quickly. We will soon be on our first Oceania cruise and note that (according to the FAQ's), since we are in a B2 veranda cabin on the Regatta, our boarding time will be 1:00 PM.

Typically, by that time on our past cruises, we've been on the ship for about two hours, have had lunch (and maybe a drink) and have access to our cabin. Is that time more of a recommendation or is that how it works on Oceania?

Boarding time is not cabin available time. In a B, your cabin will not be ready until approximately 3. By staggering boarding time O tries to prevent a crowd scene at boarding. Also the ship may not be ready to start boarding very early in Miami. Don't rush to board, you'll enjoy your cruise more.

Sometimes the port agents will not even let you in the building until after 12 noon

The suites get to board at 11 am & then others will be allowed in

We rarely go to the port before 1pm

Relax at the hotel until it is time to head to the port ..much better that the hard chairs in the port building ;)

OK, we'll have to adjust a bit for this cruise which is just fine. We drive direct to Port Canaveral and Tampa for RCI or DCL, get there around 10:30 and get on the ship by about 11:00ish. In Miami, we drive down the night before and get to the port at about the same time when on Celebrity. But, taking our time will make my wife happy!

Just curious (and not meant to be critical from this Oceania first-timer) - I wonder how they can get the Oasis of the Seas ready for embarkation so much earlier and all of the cabins ready by 1:00 but it takes much longer on a ship that is about 90% smaller with a higher crew to passenger ratio?

Just curious (and not meant to be critical from this Oceania first-timer) - I wonder how they can get the Oasis of the Seas ready for embarkation so much earlier and all of the cabins ready by 1:00 but it takes much longer on a ship that is about 90% smaller with a higher crew to passenger ratio?

Their ship their rules

relax & go with the flow :evilsmile:

I believe that it has more to do with the fact that early or "priority boarding" is a benefit of booking a Suite on Oceania.

True, this was a more important feature in the days when Specialty Restaurant Reservations had to be made "in person", but they still can't give early boarding away if they are selling it to somebody else.........can they? :evilsmile:

OK, we'll have to adjust a bit for this cruise which is just fine. We drive direct to Port Canaveral and Tampa for RCI or DCL, get there around 10:30 and get on the ship by about 11:00ish. In Miami, we drive down the night before and get to the port at about the same time when on Celebrity. But, taking our time will make my wife happy!

Perhaps that crew to passenger ratio is not in housekeeping. Maybe they take the time to do a better job. Or maybe Oceania doesn't want to work their crew as hard.

Miami is a bit different from most ports. Often disembarkation is delayed by immigration and that will delay subsequent embarkation.

That said, you could go earlier than scheduled if you are prepared to sit and wait. If they are not too busy they may take your category earlier than scheduled but they may not - in which case you just have to sit and wait. Not a good use of your time nor a good way to start the cruise.

Have a leisurely breakfast and enjoy some sights of Miami/South Beach before embarkation.

We boarded the Regatta in Miami Oct 17.

Arrived from airport around 11; there were lots of people sitting in the terminal waiting to board.

It seemed that all passengers entitled to board early had done so because an employee came around inviting the rest if us to get in the (short) line.

I'd say we were in board by noon.

Our cabin (ocean view on deck 4) was ready at 2:45; the pricier the cabin, the sooner it was ready.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

We experienced having to wait in the terminal for boarding for the first time on our recent Nautica cruise. It was cold and boring. On our previous O cruises, we managed to arrive at or after our boarding time and believe me that was better. I will say though that once the top categories were boarded, they did let the rest of us get on before noon though we could not get into our cabins any earlier.

• 2 weeks later...

When you get to the terminal in Miami there are lots of seats. You fill out the health questionnaire, are given a ticket with a number on it and asked to take a seat. Boarding starts at 1100 with Owners, Vista and Oceania suites. Once there is no queue, other ticket numbers are called to register and board. Your number will be called in order. Then you board. People in suites can go straight to those but you wait have lunch etc) until your category is announced. Then you can go to your cabin. Simple really!

Sent from my iPad using Forums