Nas

DonnaMarieNJ

I will be traveling with a wheelchair-bound person when the Allure stops in Nassau. Is there any place I can take this person very close to the ship? I will be pushing - the chair is not electric. How difficult is it to get around the area where the ship docks? Does anyone know if the area is paved (meaning smooth rather than cobblestone)?

Thank you for any help.

I will be traveling with a wheelchair-bound person when the Allure stops in Nassau. Is there any place I can take this person very close to the ship? I will be pushing - the chair is not electric. How difficult is it to get around the area where the ship docks? Does anyone know if the area is paved (meaning smooth rather than cobblestone)?

Thank you for any help.

There's a market area with little shops right at the port. For the most part the pavement is manageable and has no cobblestones but the cement patching can be uneven at times. The downside to the port market is that it's usually very crowded as there's anywhere from 4-6 ships in port at the same time. The other downside is that most of the little shops have a step or two in order to enter the store. The good thing is if it's a shop you're interested in most are more than happy to bring the items to you . Because all passengers from all the ships have to go through this market to get to the tour buses , taxis and the center of town it's best to not rush to get off the ship early . Enjoy a nice leisurely breakfast and go when the crowds have lessened.

Once out side the port shopping area it's even more of a zoo. Traffic and crowds are horrible! Curb cut outs are few and hard to find.

Thank you. That is the exact information I needed to know. I called the tourism dept for Nassau today, and they assured me the area was fine for a wheelchair. I was not certain if I should believe them. They didn't mention the steps to the shops - just told me there were lots of shops and restaurants nearby.

Thanks again.

The Welcome Center is closed for renovation, so all of the little shops have stalls outside, very easy to browse. Go out through the gate and turn right, down the street. There are shops there, but more interesting are the narrow streets leading the the main drag. There are interesting small shops and restaurants. Keep going and you will reach the straw market. I can't remember if is is street level on that street, but it goes through to the main drag and might be more accessible there.

You're going to have a long walk down the pier, as the biggest girls always dock all the way at the end... Carolyn Jane

When I called yesterday, they DID NOT tell me the welcome center was closed. As a matter of a fact, they told me to GO there for information. Shows you how much they know!

Thanks Carolyn - how's everything with you?

Our destinations were up in the air since the hurricane. It was just a few weeks ago that they were finalized. We had no idea where we were going.

THANKS AGAIN.

According to Google maps, it is less than a half mile from the further most dock to the west end of Bay St. down town. That pretty much covers the downtown area. If you go any further south, there are some hills. The sidewalks all have curb cutouts and are smooth.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

• 4 weeks later...

I won't have much to say, as she is discouraged by the fact that Nassau and San Juan have nothing to offer her in the way of tours, so she won't be getting off the ship. We have a tour booked in St. Thomas that can accommodate her wheelchair, but no other tours. I tried to interest her in just getting off the ship in NAS, but she doesn't want to put me through the trouble. :(

I just don't get it. There are numerous handicapped tours offered, but none seem to fit her disability. I do not know what she wrote on the form, but, whatever she did mark down is keeping the tour companies from offering her tours. I haven't seen her in many years, so I won't know until the cruise.

We are taking a cruise of the Western Caribbean in October 2018. Being recently wheelchair bound, I have been doing some research myself. I found the following site that offers several wheelchair accessible tours. Check it, you might find something. When I copied the web address into the search line, I had to scroll down to find Nassau Bahamas Wheelchair Accessible Shore Excursions

www.accessiblecaribbeanvacations.com/nassau-accessible-shore-excursions

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Just a follow-up

Nassau was horrible for a wheelchair. We waited for a while to get off the ship, which didn't help. There were so many people.

The streets, however, were so badly cracked and full of potholes! I COULD NOT PUSH THE WHEEL CHAIR EVEN NEAR THE STRAW MARKET.

We went one block and couldn't go further.

HOWEVER, there were people with scooters that were doing ok.

Never again for me with someone in a wheelchair.

Just a follow-up

Nassau was horrible for a wheelchair. We waited for a while to get off the ship, which didn't help. There were so many people.

The streets, however, were so badly cracked and full of potholes! I COULD NOT PUSH THE WHEEL CHAIR EVEN NEAR THE STRAW MARKET.

We went one block and couldn't go further.

HOWEVER, there were people with scooters that were doing ok.

Never again for me with someone in a wheelchair.

I agree with this post. My husband uses a scooter and it was very difficult to get around even with a scooter. Sidewalks are so busy with passengers that he could only go a few feet and had to stop. Streets were in terrible condition. Straw market even with a scooter was a big challenge.