Drawer and closet space on Viking Ocean ships?

YWW

We are seriously looking at booking the Viking ocean cruise for next year and the reviews we've seen are very good. However we've heard pros and cons on the drawers that are available in the balcony cabins. Two friends said there were very few drawers in the balcony cabins and yet two other friends who stayed in the "Deluxe Balcony" said there was more than enough drawers. We don't know who to believe. We called Viking Customer Service for better input but they weren't able to provide any details. Your input please. Thanks.

There are three medium sized drawers in all categories of balcony cabins. When I traveled in one with my husband I found it to be tight but workable, but only because he's tall and used the closet top shelf as his 'drawers' leaving me all three.

My recent Viking cruise was with my sister, and neither of us is really tall enough to use that shelf. Knowing the limits of the cabin I brought this IKEA hanging 9 compartment organizer for underthings, socks, bags of electrical cords, etc. to hang on the closet rod. It made all the difference. I chose the IKEA one because it was cheap and nearly weightless in the luggage, which wasn't the case for other brands I saw. Not sure if the link will work, but you can get it on Amazon for $12.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QMPK1K/ref=asc_df_B001QMPK1K5258537/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B001QMPK1K&linkCode=df0&hvadid=193157030383&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1334830474741502625&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9012144&hvtargid=pla-307602589678

We are seriously looking at booking the Viking ocean cruise for next year and the reviews we've seen are very good. However we've heard pros and cons on the drawers that are available in the balcony cabins. Two friends said there were very few drawers in the balcony cabins and yet two other friends who stayed in the "Deluxe Balcony" said there was more than enough drawers. We don't know who to believe. We called Viking Customer Service for better input but they weren't able to provide any details. Your input please. Thanks.

Everybody's travel style is different. Everybody's storage needs are different. If you bring the maximum amount of luggage permitted on the airplane, then you are going to need more room than the person who travel with only carry-on luggage. You can't just ask was, "Was there enough storage space?" you also have to ask "How much luggage did you bring?"

Viking offers a 360-tour of the ships which will give you a fairly good idea of how much storage space there is in each stateroom category.

Everybody's travel style is different. Everybody's storage needs are different. If you bring the maximum amount of luggage permitted on the airplane, then you are going to need more room than the person who travel with only carry-on luggage. You can't just ask was, "Was there enough storage space?" you also have to ask "How much luggage did you bring?"

Viking offers a 360-tour of the ships which will give you a fairly good idea of how much storage space there is in each stateroom category.

Also, the laundry facilities on each deck are really quite convenient and if you're not totally against spending time doing laundry (I actually find it relaxing - strange as some find that idea), you don't really need to pack that much. When we did Viking Homelands last year, I wasn't confident (not knowing any better) that the laundry facilities on our deck would be that great. So we packed enough to cover nearly all 15 days with plans to pay to have a batch done for us so that we could last 3 wks (did extensions on each end). And discovered how wrong we were. Over the course of 2 wks onboard the Star I did laundry 3 times with the result that we returned home with suitcases packed with mostly clean clothes (except for clothes worn during the final days including our extension in Stockholm). And some were never worn at all! Looking ahead to our 2 wk cruise this January, our plans are to pack enough clothes for a week. Maybe less.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Also, the laundry facilities on each deck are really quite convenient and if you're not totally against spending time doing laundry (I actually find it relaxing - strange as some find that idea), you don't really need to pack that much. When we did Viking Homelands last year, I wasn't confident (not knowing any better) that the laundry facilities on our deck would be that great. So we packed enough to cover nearly all 15 days with plans to pay to have a batch done for us so that we could last 3 wks (did extensions on each end). And discovered how wrong we were. Over the course of 2 wks onboard the Star I did laundry 3 times with the result that we returned home with suitcases packed with mostly clean clothes (except for clothes worn during the final days including our extension in Stockholm). And some were never worn at all! Looking ahead to our 2 wk cruise this January, our plans are to pack enough clothes for a week. Maybe less.

Char, you forgot to mention that the self-service laundry is complimentary--and dispenses its own detergent. (see

Self Serve Laundry aboard Viking Ocean Ships)

Also, there is laundry and dry-cleaning service for those who don't want to do their own. Prices are reasonable.

On the newest ship, SUN, I understand (although I have not seen yet)that the v and dv cabins now have additional drawers in the closets. Higher category cabins have more drawers. I do not know if the other ships will eventually be re-fitted with the closet drawers.

Char, you forgot to mention that the self-service laundry is complimentary--and dispenses its own detergent. (see

Self Serve Laundry aboard Viking Ocean Ships)

Also, there is laundry and dry-cleaning service for those who don't want to do their own. Prices are reasonable.

Yup. You're right. The stuff we forget to mention

....[emoji79]

We are heavy packers and was a bit nervous about storage. We were pleasantly surprised that it filled our needs. We are not coffee drinkers so we asked that the coffee machine be removed giving us one more shelf.

A side note to the free laundromat. Don't leave the room without making sure that the soap dispenser is working. A lady noticed that it wasn't filling the machine after we took ours out. I assumed we probably didn't get soap.

On the newest ship, SUN, I understand (although I have not seen yet)that the v and dv cabins now have additional drawers in the closets. Higher category cabins have more drawers. I do not know if the other ships will eventually be re-fitted with the closet drawers.

This would be wonderful, I hope it's true! I'm not a heavy packer (just one 25" suitcase for two/three weeks), but I did struggle a bit with 'drawer' things and had to keep some under the bed in packing cubes. I felt that there was plenty of hanging room, and just a column of 'cubbies' inside the closet would have been great, but drawers would be even better.

We are heavy packers and was a bit nervous about storage. We were pleasantly surprised that it filled our needs. We are not coffee drinkers so we asked that the coffee machine be removed giving us one more shelf.

A side note to the free laundromat. Don't leave the room without making sure that the soap dispenser is working. A lady noticed that it wasn't filling the machine after we took ours out. I assumed we probably didn't get soap.

Yes, you have to push the button on the dispenser on the wall (at least on the Sea you do, where you have a choice of using your own detergent). There are laundry room pictures on the laundry room thread.

Yes, you have to push the button on the dispenser on the wall (at least on the Sea you do, where you have a choice of using your own detergent). There are laundry room pictures on the laundry room thread.

We were on the Star and it was automatic. No choice to use our own.

Problem with that 360 view is that it doesn’t show an open closet, nor does it show where the drawers are.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Problem with that 360 view is that it doesn’t show an open closet, nor does it show where the drawers are.

Kath, you're right.

But, it can be dealt with. In the view of the PVs and PSs, you get a good view the drawer and shelving unit that is hidden in the V/DV picture. It is still right beside the closet but it is turned 90degrees to face the passage to the bathroom and entry in V/DVs. The only place you don't really get a good look at the storage is in the Explorer Suite, where half of the walk-in closet cannot be scene (N.B., there is only one set if drawers in the closet; the other is a reflection in the mirror that cover the entire back wall of the closet).

Drawer space depends on your cabin class. Veranda and deluxe veranda have IMHO inadequate drawer space. PV cateory and higher have an extra piece of furniture with several more drawers and is suitable. We were in DV recently and I had to use the top shelf of the closet for my things since the Mrs. used the meager three drawers for her things.

One open DV closet. :D About 5 ft of hanging space.

enhance

Thanks so much for the photo! I had wondered if there were shelves in the closet like on the river ships. Does the hanging space extend to the unopened half of the closet and does that door open as well?

I think we can manage with 3 drawers if they are a decent size. There are cubbies in the bedside tables. Is there a drawer as well?

Oh and are there hangers with clips for pants or skirts? I generally bring a couple but I’d rather not have to.

I’m getting so excited for my cruise and I’m not going until March!

Yes both door slide open. If you are on the SUN and in a V or DV part of the closet will have drawers so that you can only hang shirts or folded pants in that part. I anticipate plenty of drawer space on the SUN with that addition. It was suggested to bring smaller plastic hangers instead of using the large wooden. I do not remember if the hangers had clips if no one answers I will let you know in January. The top shelf of the closet is quite roomy for TALL people. We were on a 3 week trip and had plenty of room but did use the laundry a few times.

Thanks so much for the photo! I had wondered if there were shelves in the closet like on the river ships. Does the hanging space extend to the unopened half of the closet and does that door open as well?

I think we can manage with 3 drawers if they are a decent size. There are cubbies in the bedside tables. Is there a drawer as well?

Oh and are there hangers with clips for pants or skirts? I generally bring a couple but I’d rather not have to.

I’m getting so excited for my cruise and I’m not going until March!

As I said, it all depends on how much luggage you bring. We travel light and make generous use of the laundry service, so honestly, we have no complaints about storage in the cabin.

One thing that I will say as that you can ask for more hangers (shirt and clippy) -- and the more you can hang, the less drawer space you will need. The hanging space does go across the entire length of the closet (we moved the robes down to the far end).

There are two drawers in the bathroom for all of your bathroom items (so they don't have to clutter the counter. Love it).

There is some storage space (cubbies) in the two night tables. I believe that they also contain a small drawer (which I never use because I am afraid I will forget whatever I but in there).

There is space under the bed for your suitcases and you can always use your suitcases for more storage.

BTW, there is a golf umbrella in the closet. If you use it, leave it in the umbrella bin as you board the ship so you don't have to worry about where to put it to dry. It will be replaced. Additional umbrellas are available as you disembark.

For more pictures of the ship and DV cabin, look here. I took a bunch of photos when we were on the Sea knowing that folks would be asking just these types of questions.

I bring metal clippy hangers for drying the hand laundry. I'm always afraid the plastic ones will break in my suitcase.

As I said, it all depends on how much luggage you bring. We travel light and make generous use of the laundry service, so honestly, we have no complaints about storage in the cabin.

One thing that I will say as that you can ask for more hangers (shirt and clippy) -- and the more you can hang, the less drawer space you will need. The hanging space does go across the entire length of the closet (we moved the robes down to the far end).

There are two drawers in the bathroom for all of your bathroom items (so they don't have to clutter the counter. Love it).

There is some storage space (cubbies) in the two night tables. I believe that they also contain a small drawer (which I never use because I am afraid I will forget whatever I but in there).

There is space under the bed for your suitcases and you can always use your suitcases for more storage.

BTW, there is a golf umbrella in the closet. If you use it, leave it in the umbrella bin as you board the ship so you don't have to worry about where to put it to dry. It will be replaced. Additional umbrellas are available as you disembark.

For more pictures of the ship and DV cabin, look here. I took a bunch of photos when we were on the Sea knowing that folks would be asking just these types of questions.

I bring metal clippy hangers for drying the hand laundry. I'm always afraid the plastic ones will break in my suitcase.

One more thing about the bathroom. In addition to the drawers (1 on each side of the sink), are the shelves (2 above each side of the sink) where you can keep all the stuff you want easily at hand each day. The 360 panoramic shows this quite clearly.

Yes both door slide open. If you are on the SUN and in a V or DV part of the closet will have drawers so that you can only hang shirts or folded pants in that part. I anticipate plenty of drawer space on the SUN with that addition. It was suggested to bring smaller plastic hangers instead of using the large wooden. I do not remember if the hangers had clips if no one answers I will let you know in January. The top shelf of the closet is quite roomy for TALL people. We were on a 3 week trip and had plenty of room but did use the laundry a few times.

We are on the Sea, not the Sun and we're not tall ;p

Standard cabins on these ships (V1, V2, DV1 - DV6) have inadequate storage space.

That should not prevent you from booking a cruise on these beautiful ships.

What is adequate storage space? What is adequate for Mr. A is not adequaite for Mr. B.

So what is adequate?

Adequate is what meets a cruise industry standard, i.e. to what we normally see on other cruise ships (from Cunard to Costa).

You'll have a better than standard bathroom that comes at a cost of smaller than standard storage space.

We found 3 drawers more than adequate on our last cruise, so I'm assuming we will be fine. We are B cruisers and I don't do laundry on vacation ;p

We will have one medium checked bag and one carry-on each. I think we'll be fine. I can hang most everything if I need to. Drawers in the bathroom will be great and there's room in that vanity too, isn't there?

Thanks for the tip on the umbrella - hope we won't need them, but I always bring a small one just in case. I have lots of the plastic ones. I just throw them away if they break

We will have one medium checked bag and one carry-on each. I think we'll be fine. I can hang most everything if I need to. Drawers in the bathroom will be great and there's room in that vanity too, isn't there?

Yes, but it means that you have to keep the desk clear--and as a clutter queen, it is beyond my ability to maintain.:cool:

Thanks for the tip on the umbrella - hope we won't need them, but I always bring a small one just in case. I have lots of the plastic ones. I just throw them away if they break

I don't bother with the tiny travel umbrellas any more. They don't keep me dry--and sometimes make me even wetter. If it is going to be really bad, I'm just as happy with the big golf umbrella even if it means I can't just shove it in my day bag.