Port Arthur Query.

bonox55

That is if Port Arthur is a port. if you mean from Hobart it’s a few hours drive.

Port Arthur is a frequent stop on cruises. I would not call it a "port" as there is nothing else there apart from the historic site. Ships use tenders to get you ashore. Hobart is another place, the capital city of Tasmania.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If Port Arthur is the actual cruise stop - you will be taken by tender into the jetty site within the historical site itself

everything you need to know is here http://portarthur.org.au

Its an easy stroll around the site to see everything and there are a couple of short ferry cruises to other sites of interest like the cemetery island etc.

If Port Arthur is the actual cruise stop - you will be taken by tender into the jetty site within the historical site itself

Its an easy stroll around the site to see everything and there are a couple of short ferry cruises to other sites of interest like the cemetery island etc.

Yep

The isle of the dead

And

point Puer th3 children’s prison, there is a fee for those I think.

If you are dropped off inside the site itself - do you still have to buy an admission? Or is that covered as part of your cruise fare port fees?

If you are dropped off inside the site itself - do you still have to buy an admission? Or is that covered as part of your cruise fare port fees?

No admission payable.

As already mentioned there are optional extras, but the main site has no extra charge for cruise ship passengers. People arriving by road pay admission.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

I am interested in the logistics of a "do it yourself" Port Arthur visit arriving from a ship's tender. Has anyone done this? You need to select times for the extra tours if you buy tickets ahead of time. If we can have our tickets ahead of time that is one less line to stand in....but how will we know what time to pick??? Tendering can be an issue especially if you don't have a ship's excursion. We will be on the Diamond Princess if anyone has done this on a Princess cruise.

Just go ashore whenever you can, there are people at the tender landing offering tours. No need to book anything ahead or through the ship. In my opinion you do not need to do any tours, the site is easily negotiated, you will given a map on arrival and each feature is signposted and has a story board. You can do most of the site in a couple of hours.

(We have done it like this twice, one on Diamond Princess in 2016 and again on Carnival Spirit this year).

Edited by Bentleg