Will I find White Zin on board?

MLinFL

HI all -

We are going on our first Viking Ocean cruise in a couple of days and would like some information about the wine on board. My husband enjoys all different kinds of wines so he will be fine with whatever they have, but I only drink white zin. Will I find this on board? Should I bring my own? If I bring my own to the dining room and don't finish the bottle, will they store it for me?

Thanks -

Mary Lou

You can bring your own onboard and they will store & serve for you, no problem.

No white zin guaranteed as their standard wine.

Do not know if the pricey Silver Spirits package has a WZ selection. Most likely they do.

Best bet: bring a bottle and buy another during your numerous tours. Viking cooperative.

For goodness sake why not try some new wines? By sticking to your usual you could be denying yourself far far more delicious wines than 'zin'.

This ^ why limit yourself to one wine. Get the beverage package it's 20 bucks a day which is nothing,

tell the wine steward at dinner what you are eating and what kind of wine you like and they will find you something, I think

there was something like 20 white wines you could order by the glass.

I had a Red Zin at dinner the last night and it was fantastic.

This ^ why limit yourself to one wine. Get the beverage package it's 20 bucks a day which is nothing,

tell the wine steward at dinner what you are eating and what kind of wine you like and they will find you something, I think

We will get the beverage package! With 20 different white wines I will be good to go each evening. I might even venture into red wine territory... I do love a good Italian red on occasion.

Good to know that they have a wine steward in dinning room. Last time on Celebrity, the person was so overworked, he barely made it to our table for all of 30 seconds. I was the only one at our table with a prem. beverage package and drank wine with meals.

hmmm. we had the beverage package and did not see 20 choices of white wine by the glass...maybe I just was not shown where to look...a couple of times I felt I was irritating the wait staff by not accepting that evening's "house wine"...certainly NOT the norm but when it happened it was surprising. I am hoping the wine by the glass list has expanded since last spring.

She stated her husband was fine drinking any kind of wine. It is $40 per cabin as both must buy the package, not just $20 per day. For that price you could buy several glasses of WZ per day.

I bought a couple glasses of wine for my wife when she did not like the standard selections. Those glasses of special wines plus 2 martinis left me with a bar bill under $50 for the entire cruise.

hmmm. we had the beverage package and did not see 20 choices of white wine by the glass...maybe I just was not shown where to look...a couple of times I felt I was irritating the wait staff by not accepting that evening's "house wine"...certainly NOT the norm but when it happened it was surprising. I am hoping the wine by the glass list has expanded since last spring.

The regular wait staff at the restaurant were thrown off when we asked for the wine list, and took a lot

longer to refill the glasses compared to the included wines.

We just asked for the wine steward as soon as we sat down and he was fantastic, he had no

problem opening multiple bottles for us even if we just going to have one glass.

There were quite a few by the glass wines on our trip (just finished last week),

primarily Californian, Italian, and French.

For goodness sake why not try some new wines? By sticking to your usual you could be denying yourself far far more delicious wines than 'zin'.

For example, if you need something "pink," how about a Rosé of Pinot Noir? Look for Martin Ray (Sonoma County) or Navarro (Mendocino County). Even Angeline (Martin Ray's low end brand) will be far better than that Sutter Home White Zinfandel I'm assuming you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The regular wait staff at the restaurant were thrown off when we asked for the wine list, and took a lot

longer to refill the glasses compared to the included wines.

We just asked for the wine steward as soon as we sat down and he was fantastic, he had no

problem opening multiple bottles for us even if we just going to have one glass.

There were quite a few by the glass wines on our trip (just finished last week),

primarily Californian, Italian, and French.

So are you saying that you could pick bottles of wines on the wine list to have a glass of, and not just the wines by the glass with the package? If that is true, then the package has become much more attractive for us.

So are you saying that you could pick bottles of wines on the wine list to have a glass of, and not just the wines by the glass with the package? If that is true, then the package has become much more attractive for us.

ah sorry, did not mean that you could just have one glass of wine from wines that are purchase by the bottle only.

I meant that quite often if you ordered one of the wines by the glass, that are typically $6, they were usually

opening a brand new bottle for you, unless they had one on the go, and you pretty much could have the entire bottle if you were drinking it.

Not a chance!!! :-)

A few years back, professional endeavors found us spending quite some time in upstate NY. We often had to entertain for business and, when it came to wine, we were diplomatic and mixed our California locals (mostly from Sonoma and Mendo), with NY State wines (mostly German varietals) and international selections from those wine countries with whom we had professional relationships.

At one event, a "home growth" state legislator showed up a bit late and I quickly offered to pour him a glass. "Zinfandel, please" he uttered. So, I poured him some old vine Seghesio estate Zin. When I presented it, he said: "No, I want some 'Zinfandel'".

A sensitive conversation ensued and I am proud to report that, within a year of that event, I had him, at least, onto Rosé of Pinot Noir (Angeline at larger events and Martin Ray estate at smaller dinners).

BTW, for those of you in NY or surrounding states that can receive shipped wines, check out Empire Wines (headquartered in Albany NY)- great selection and prices.

Flatbush Flyer, agree that There are some interesting Rose’s on the market now days. Many are not the super sweet from days gone. They are definitely making a come back.....one of the beautiful things about wine are all the varieties to suite so many palates....including white Zin. Sounds like you had a very fun experience. I thoroughly enjoy imbibing in international wines, so we would have done as you did and mixed it up!

Deec, I look forward to sharing a glass or two with you next year! Let’s make that happen!

Our wineries in Sonoma County, as well as those in Napa, have seen a sharp drop in visitors since our horrendous fires last month. An interesting outcome from those fires was the protection that the vineyards offered up. They acted as natural fire blocks in many situations -including one direction from our home. The canyon above....that protection was in the form of a 747 laying down the repellant and the first responders working relentlessly.....

So with that in mind, DH and I, along with neighbors, are going to visit a couple wineries tomorrow. With few exceptions, they are open for business. As the saying goes -

Shop local ;)

PS FFlyer- if you run across Seghesio’s Barbera, it is sure with a try, even though Zin is what put them on the map all those years ago!

BTW, for those of you in NY or surrounding states that can receive shipped wines, check out Empire Wines (headquartered in Albany NY)- great selection and prices.

Wouldn’t it be nice if VA, where I live, didn’t make it impossible to have wine shipped to us. Sigh. [emoji26]

A few years back, professional endeavors found us spending quite some time in upstate NY. We often had to entertain for business and, when it came to wine, we were diplomatic and mixed our California locals (mostly from Sonoma and Mendo), with NY State wines (mostly German varietals) and international selections from those wine countries with whom we had professional relationships.

At one event, a "home growth" state legislator showed up a bit late and I quickly offered to pour him a glass. "Zinfandel, please" he uttered. So, I poured him some old vine Seghesio estate Zin. When I presented it, he said: "No, I want some 'Zinfandel'".

A sensitive conversation ensued and I am proud to report that, within a year of that event, I had him, at least, onto Rosé of Pinot Noir (Angeline at larger events and Martin Ray estate at smaller dinners).

I’ll take the Seghesio old vines Zin!

Sent from my iPad using Forums