Ketchikan

Hope4MeToo

We did a kayaking tour, then walked Creek Street, Married Man's Trail, saw the fish ladder and did some shopping.

Others recommend Totem Bight and the Lumberjack Show.

For something unique, you can actually go snorkeling. They provide wet suits and it gets good reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It would help if you indicate your interests, physical ability, budget, time frame in port, month.......

But in lieu of that, i'll suggest that you do a little research. Read thru previous trip reports posted above and enjoy the photojournals .....lots of first hand experiences, recommendations for vendors, activities, diy options.

Also, look at the town web site, and download the Visitor Guide. Borrow an Alaska travel book from your librsry.

http://www.experienceketchikan.com

Many people do the float plane excursion over the Misty Fjords with Island Wings. We actually did a boat cruise instead so that you see the fjords and wildlife up close. We enjoyed it but it did take our entire day.

Ketchikan is a great DIY port as there is much to see in just the town itself and often you have a very short time in port. Exploring the town, Creek Street and walking the Married Man's trail would be a fun day, maybe have lunch in town. You could also take the bus to Totem Bight Park to see the totem poles.

Other popular tours I have seen on this forum are guided walking tours and also the taxicab tours. And also the crab tours are recommended.

• 2 weeks later...

Some of this would depend on how long you are in Ketchikan. Our first time there we were only there 4 hours. That time we did the duck tour which we found very informative and we learned all kinds of cool things about the town and we were protected from the weather. Afterwards we walked some of the areas that we had seen on the duck tour and wanted to look at a little closer and had lunch and did a little shopping. That was all there was time for. It was also the most affordable option. It was very inexpensive. This time we did an ATV Adventure which is not likely something you would like to do but it was great. Next time I think we would like to consider the Deadliest Catch Fisherman's tour.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

There are loads of choices. I'd suggest taking a look, first at shore excursion lists and narrow down your interests. With asking "what to do" here, is just going to get you a partial list. Look at http://www.visit-ketchikan.com I'd also suggest splitting up as a group of 6- if adults aren't going to want the same thing. There is no point dragging someone along who isn't interested, and having them miss what they really would like to do. :)

The Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour and the Float Plane tour to Misty Fjords are both memorable experiences for me. If you choose the Misty Fjords tour, be sure that the plane will land on a lake and that you will be able to get out of the plane and stand on its floats for a few minutes to experience the deafening silence and beauty of the area.