Review of my NY to Nassau Europa 2 cruise 10/27/17-11/9/17 published on CC

Catlover54

Thank you for your very detailed cruise review of E2.

Internet is the best on our cruise from Hamburg to Lisbon, I had an unlimited plan, and it can be used on two devices at the same time, so I shared with my friend sometimes. One of the first two devices must log off before a 3rd one can log on.

In my opinion, food is the weak part on this ship ( of our cruise )

80% of the buffet items are the same every night. The same cheese, the same cold cut and seafood, the same bread, the same salad, the same ice cream and chocolate. The changing items are the warm dishes, but they are no better than school canteen food. The other changing items are desserts, but nothing to wow about.

Some different meat offered daily are okay, and one night we had paella, we thought that is the best dinner we had for the buffet.

The main dining room has very limited items for dinner. They present a seemingly complicated menu, but they are all the same items every day, with only one or two changing main course, one chaning dessert, one or two chaning appetizer. Service is very slow, each course takes half an hour. I had no patience to wait after two meals there.

The elements asian restaurant has the same items for lunch and dinner. One dish from one country, you don't know in which country you are in.

The french and italian restaurant, just so so in my opinion.

The sushi restaurant we visited two times. No meat, only 4-5 fish sushi or sashimi and some tempura items. I feel I am offered only part of the many japanese cuisines that you can enjoy in a typical japanese restaurant. I am not sure if we can order a bottle or two of wines for the unused beverage credit so the last night of the cruise I asked our servant in the Sakura restaurant, and she said she would ask her boss, however she just disappeared and never came back to the restaurant ?

I did not bother to send back the questionare form in the end of the cruise. I had very high expectations before this cruise, but very disappointed about the food in the end. Not even comparable with the food on our Azamara cruise 2 months earlier, when we even did not go to any of Azamara's specialty restaurant.

I forgot to say many food were cooked very salty. We had 5 people going on this cruise together and we have all been on crystal cruises a few times and we all agree there is no comparison between the two on food. I think there is something wrong with chef, or maybe they are cutting cost.

Wow! A dozen different breads and rolls each day and you wanted more variety? Four different Spanish and Italian hams each day with Black Forest ham thrown in. And high end cold seafood like lobster every day? Did they not offer different types of small chocolates every day?

I could go on, but food is certainly not the reason why we haven't booked another Europa 2 cruise so far. (itinerary) Your taste buds are obviously attuned to a different cuisine.

Catlover,

I thoroughly enjoyed your review and thought your comparison of German and American temperature sensitivities accurate and funny. My husband and I do not mind the higher temperatures. On American ships, I always have to grab a pashmina scarf because it is going to be too cold.

Wow! A dozen different breads and rolls each day and you wanted more variety? Four different Spanish and Italian hams each day with Black Forest ham thrown in. And high end cold seafood like lobster every day? Did they not offer different types of small chocolates every day?

I could go on, but food is certainly not the reason why we haven't booked another Europa 2 cruise so far. (itinerary) Your taste buds are obviously attuned to a different cuisine.

yes, maybe those breads and cold cuts are not to my taste, but I love all kinds of cuisines. Yes lobster every night for buffet, but that does not involve any cooking skills as it is only boiled to put on sauce by yourself. 13 nights of boiled lobster isn't it boring and usually I always look forward to my next meal on any cruiseline even Celebrity, but not this time, as I know what I will get before going there, so I feel that I hate to go for dinner. Sorry that was my true feeling.

yes, maybe those breads and cold cuts are not to my taste, but I love all kinds of cuisines. Yes lobster every night for buffet, but that does not involve any cooking skills as it is only boiled to put on sauce by yourself. 13 nights of boiled lobster isn't it boring and usually I always look forward to my next meal on any cruiseline even Celebrity, but not this time, as I know what I will get before going there, so I feel that I hate to go for dinner. Sorry that was my true feeling.

You make it sound as if Lobster was the only dish on offer.

My experience has been that the breadth of choice in the Yacht Club has been overwhelming.

If the choice in the Weltmeere is disappointing, one is always able to order off menu.

Of course I can´t judge for the current sailing but actually I think the "salty" thing is more the German taste. For us most of the stuff on US cruise lines is bland.

And it´s funny to read the comments about the breads and cold cuts. Don´t ask me who often I heard and read comments by German cruisers complaining about the bread and cold cuts on international / US cruise lines - only two kinds of cheeses and both were disgusting... no meats just one greasy Mortadella ... no ham no salami...

steamboats

You make it sound as if Lobster was the only dish on offer.

My experience has been that the breadth of choice in the Yacht Club has been overwhelming.

If the choice in the Weltmeere is disappointing, one is always able to order off menu.

King crab feet and claw boiled for 13 nights. Mussel boiled for 13 nights. Same raw oyster for 13 nights. Boiled spicy prawn for 13 nights. That is easy job to do. Where is their creativity?

I forgot to say many food were cooked very salty. We had 5 people going on this cruise together and we have all been on crystal cruises a few times and we all agree there is no comparison between the two on food. I think there is something wrong with chef, or maybe they are cutting cost.

if i must deny one item : cuttings cost is not done by HLC on food . I was on the cruise with both a call in Bordeaux and in my hometown Antwerp - in both cities a very high amount was spent on local specialities , cheeses , sausages and local pastries and chocolates

i am afraid other "luxury" lines are more obviously cuttings costs - to give one example i was on Crystal sailing New York to Montreal with a call in Maine - anything special done on lobsters ? Not at all ...