Packing a ball gown?

DD has decided to go over the top for our Holiday cruise. She's actually bringing a ball gown. She figures if she can't wear it for formal night on a cruise, where can she wear it. I'm trying to figure out the logistics. How does one usually pack a ball gown? In a garment bag? Rolled up in regular suitcase? Any chance there's a service onboard that can get any travel wrinkles out? It's kind of full with a lot of tulle under the skirt. We're joking that it's going to need it's own suitcase, maybe even it's own cabin.

Thanks for any suggestions (other than leave the gown home)... :')

I would lay the gown down on the bed. Then put folded up shirts On the middle of the dress. Then fold the bodice, sleeves (if any) and the bottom of the dress. This will minimize wrinkles..will look like a "package".

But plan to have the ship do a pressing if necessary.

Sounds familiar! Our daughter uses a garment bag for her gowns. Recently we have been driving to the port instead of flying which has made this easier. While the laundry service onboard may be able to steam/press any wrinkles, we haven't done this.

It might be a second wearing, but nobody on board has seen her yet. I'm sure your daughter will have a great time wearing her gowns!

I don’t deal with ballgowns often but I deal with tulle In tutus. I either use a spritz bottle with fabric softener and warm water or hang it in the bath while a warm shower is running. Either tend to get the wrinkles and static out.

I do this with all my clothes. Works great. We were once seated in the MDR with a lovely couple from England. On formal night she wore a full ball gown. I've always wondered how in heck she packed that thing but regretfully didn't ask.

I am on my DH computer, so forgive the call name. I have taken formal dresses for years. A few tips I use: if it has sleeves place tissue paper inside them and wrap the outside also in tissue paper, place it in a plastic cleaners bag but again where the dress will fold put layers of tissue paper. You can also place the dress in the bathroom once there with the shower running and the steam can help remove wrinkles. The ship does have pressing services for a charge

I pack our biggest items (DH's tux and suits, my biggest dresses) as follows, in biggest suitcase we are taking: Place tux jacket (for example) into bottom without folding. Half the garment will be outside the suitcase. Place next garment half in, but with the excess out a different side. Continue stacking until suitcase is about half full, then start folding in, one at a time. When finished, no garment will have a sharp fold. We get his dress shirts folded at the shirt laundry before a cruise, so the flat packets also make a good layer.

It's neat that she is taking her gown! Passengers do tend to dress up more on a Christmas cruise. It will be so festive!

Winner of the "Best response post today" award!

My thoughts exactly! If it weren't going to be so cold out (most likely), I wouldn't put it past her either! Well, maybe, that might be just a bit over the top.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I may just tell her to bring 2 suitcases.

I don't think it will work for a gown, but for men's suits, the Eagle Creek large PackIt will pack a suit and it will come out wearable. At least with wool suits of reasonable quality.

I need to travel with a suit for work.

FYI, you are probably aware, but on many cruise ships, a ball gown would be in the distinct minority. If DD doesn't mind this issue, I suspect many will admire her lovely ball gown.

She's aware she will be in the minority, but as this is a holiday cruise, it's possible she won't be quite as in the minority as she normally might be.

My 8 year old diva daughter always brings two ball gowns, the bigger the better! I am sure they are smaller than what you are dealing with but I always just pack them in one side of a large hard side suitcase with nothing else in there. I hang them up in the as soon as we get there and have never really had any problems with wrinkles. I usually take a travel steamer and steam a little if needed.

My 8 year old diva daughter always brings two ball gowns, the bigger the better! I am sure they are smaller than what you are dealing with but I always just pack them in one side of a large hard side suitcase with nothing else in there. I hang them up in the as soon as we get there and have never really had any problems with wrinkles. I usually take a travel steamer and steam a little if needed.

Thanks, I will look for a travel steamer. These divas are a handful! If the dress takes up most (or all) of a suitcase, she may have to give up the suitcase full of shoes this go around!

Thanks, I will look for a travel steamer. These divas are a handful! If the dress takes up most (or all) of a suitcase, she may have to give up the suitcase full of shoes this go around!

Travel steamers are not allowed on RC. It will be confiscated and you will have to collect at the end of the cruise. Same thing for irons.

Travel steamers are not allowed on RC. It will be confiscated and you will have to collect at the end of the cruise. Same thing for irons.

Thanks for the heads up. Fingers crossed that whatever service they offer will get out any wrinkles.

Are the wrinkle release sprays safe to use on satin or silk?

Who knows, maybe I'm worrying about nothing. Maybe the dress will travel well. She has the tougher job - making sure it still fits when she goes to put it on! ;)

Thanks for the heads up. Fingers crossed that whatever service they offer will get out any wrinkles.

Are the wrinkle release sprays safe to use on satin or silk?

Who knows, maybe I'm worrying about nothing. Maybe the dress will travel well. She has the tougher job - making sure it still fits when she goes to put it on! ;)

Personally I wouldn't use Downey, or any other wrinkle release spray, on silk or satin.