Newbie question on how to unwrinkle packed clothes without high costs!

Gingergirl47

We are first time Cruisers and understand irons are not allowed. Is the only option to have your clothes pressed or look presentable after unpacking them is to pay for it? If I'm reading this right the cost to do my husband's and my items will be well over $100 just for pressing (not laundry or dry cleaning services). That's ridiculous and we don't want to go buy all new clothes that won't wrinkle! Any suggestions, we are traveling on Celebrity Equinox.

Thank you :cool:

You can offset much of it with packing techniques and type of material in clothing that you take. For my men's silk shirts I use dry cleaner bags and a folding garment bag that goes inside one side of my larger suitcase. Pants really don't wrinkle that much.

For ladies Chico's Travelers type material is great.

OK, start by looking at the clothes in your wardrobe and see what you already have that is resistant to creasing...If you have a smart pair of trousers and a nice skirt you are half way there! Then choose the evening items you really love and want to take with you even if they crease and you have to pay for ironing....Then everyone has to treat themselves to at least a new top or two pre cruise (choose the fabric wisely) so add them into the mix and match you have plenty of evening outfits!

Remember your husband can wear smart polo shirts most nights, they don’t crease much, add a couple of smart pairs of pants and all he may need pressing is two shirts for chic night!

Now look at everything else! No one is going to even notice if day time wear is a little creased...everyone on board is facing the same dilemma!

There are lots of hints about hanging items in the shower area....a cruising friend of mine swears by hanging items on a coat hanger, sprinkling with water and blow drying with the hairdryer! Just too much like hard work.

Pack wisely, budget to iron a couple of favourite items and if you plan to cruise regularly start buying easy pack fabrics.

Have a great cruise, I promise you, no one on board will recognise you by your creases just by your personality!

Have a fantastic cruise!

A crease from folding isn't a "wrinkle"...and almost everyone will have a crease somewhere! You can minimize any "wrinkles" that happen when clothes in a suitcase shift, but using dry cleaning bags or tissue paper (the kind you use in gifts!) to allow the clothing to "slide" over each other...they don't wrinkle if they can slide a bit.Simply iron, fold, and put in the suitcase at the last minute...don't pack everything into the suitcase a week beforehand....

I use packing cubes. These are light zippered bags in 3 sizes. When you arrive in your cabin, you can simply put the bags with their contents into drawers. So fast and easy. I roll T-shirts and skirts that don't crease much and put them in a larger cube. Then I hang them up in the closet. The wrinkles fall out eventually. I put pants into the lid of the suitcase with each end of them hanging out, place cubes or other things in the middle and then fold the bottoms of the pants and the top in over them. I hope you understand this. If you google for packing like a pro, you will see all kinds of ways to pack so your clothes are not a mess when you arrive. In many trips, I have never spent a cent on pressing and that includes trips where we used to dress formally. Enjoy your cruise.

Of course the real answer is don't wrinkled them in the first place.

But if they are wrinkled or creased or whatever, hang them on a coat hanger in the bathroom while showering and let the steam drop those wrinkles.

PS. It didn't work with dear MIL.;p

Downy wrinkle release or the homemade equivalent works

Hang them in the bathroom while you shower helps too.

This. You can get 3 oz spray bottle versions at WalMart (if you’re flying). Did this on my last 10 day cruise and it worked great.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm trying to figure out what you're taking that would require that much pressing.

I can see some formal wear needing pressing - we always send out my husband's dress shirts (all 2 of them ;)) because he wants them really nice. My formal wear never needs pressing, it's usually something that doesn't really wrinkle (and it's VERY formal - satin, taffetta, sparkles, the works), and jeans, shorts, tshirts, tanks, etc usually don't need pressing anyway. Even if you would press them at home, relax! It's a vacation. A few wrinkles won't hurt anything :D

Even linen or silk doesn't necessarily need pressing - I've taken those plenty of times. Hang or fold them nicely, make sure your suitcase is fully packed so they don't shift, wait until the last minute to pack them, and hang them as soon as you get your suitcase. Most of the wrinkles (what few there are) will hang out, and besides - linen wrinkles when you sit down anyhow. Silk isn't quite as bad.

Most men's suits won't wrinkle much if you have a decent garment bag. My husband has a 'travel' suit that's mostly polyester, it never wrinkles.

Celebrity permits you to bring steamers. I always pack mine even though it's quite large. And I very seldom use it. Most items are fine after being hung again in the closet.

Anything cotton, I use spray starch when ironing before packing

I always wait until the day before we sail to put hanger clothes in suitcases.

Steamers? Unless something has recently changed they are not permitted.

This is not to say that you can't find someone who managed to bring one on without being caught.

Have a look at the table where confiscated items are waiting to be reunited with their owners and you will always find steamers.

Steamers? Unless something has recently changed they are not permitted.

This is not to say that you can't find someone who managed to bring one on without being caught.

Have a look at the table where confiscated items are waiting to be reunited with their owners and you will always find steamers.

I just read this under a Celebrity FAQ page no mention of steamers ?

The following are examples of items that guests are not allowed to bring onboard. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned.

• Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.
  • *Sharp Objects, including knives and scissors.
  • Illegal Drugs & Substances
  • Candles & Incense
  • Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, & Hot Plates
  • Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & Arrows
  • Skateboards & Surfboards
  • Martial Arts Gear
  • Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.
  • Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.
  • HAM Radios
  • Electrical Extension Cords
  • Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.
  • **Alcoholic and Non-Alcoholic Beverages

We experienced the joy of using packing cubes on our cruise last April. FANTASTIC .. can pack more and items are not wrinkled!

As previously posted, I use tissue paper when packing dresses or anything else you might be bringing that tends to wrinkle. I lay the dress on the bed, cover it in a couple of sheets of tissue and then fold to fit into the large packing cube. Also agree with the suggestion to bring wrinkle release. Bed, Bath and Beyond .. Their travel section sells the travel size. I've also heard, (haven't tried) that if you have a spray bottle, place a dryer sheet in the bottle, fill with water it is suppose to work the same as Downy wrinkle release. Bring half of what you think you'll need .. mix and match, OK to wear the same outfit more than once .. everyone else does!

Enjoy your cruise!!

I had some success with using the hair dryer on a heat setting to lessen wrinkles. I take a hair straightener too and can double as an iron.

Pardon the pun, but we’re all in the same boat, and no one takes any notice of a few wrinkles [emoji2]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A crease from folding isn't a "wrinkle"...and almost everyone will have a crease somewhere! You can minimize any "wrinkles" that happen when clothes in a suitcase shift, but using dry cleaning bags or tissue paper (the kind you use in gifts!) to allow the clothing to "slide" over each other...they don't wrinkle if they can slide a bit.Simply iron, fold, and put in the suitcase at the last minute...don't pack everything into the suitcase a week beforehand....

I may be over simplifying ... but once you sit down ... anywhere ... you will then have many wrinkles/creases in your clothes. There's no getting around it or need to worry about it.

Downy wrinkle release or the homemade equivalent works

Hang them in the bathroom while you shower helps too.

Homemade equivalent- I take a small spray bottle with a small amount of fabric softener and then fill with water on board and spay on wrinkles and creases. Viola. Not sure if it works for MIL’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums