Phone calls at sea through WiFi

When we were on the Anthem in March we were able to make phone calls over Wifi package. I think that I read something about that not working now. I need to figure this out as I need to check in on my 80 year old mom a few times a day. Someone suggested going through an app like what's app, but I don't understand this part of the technology enough to know if that would work.

I was on Jewel for the recent transatlantic and while my phone said I had WiFi calling, the voice quality was abysmal. People on the other end of the call kept telling me about hearing static all the time.

I think you would be OK on a ship with the O3b service, such as Quantum class, Oasis class, Freedom, and Majesty. You may have problems on other ships.

Did this on Grandeur a few weeks ago, using the ship's WiFi and my home phone/internet provider. Although WiFi was very spotty all cruise depending on system usage but I needed to make an important phone call. Glad I had this option and not have to pay the ship's high fees for this 15 minute phone call.

Tried to call my son a few days later, for a non-important matter and couldn't get through, but didn't bother to try again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We also used WiFi calling on Oasis in Oct. You can download "whatsapp" or "tango," but whoever you call must also be on it. We are AT&T. AT&T provides free wifi calling, as does Verizon, and I assume other carriers. Not sure if you are aware of this. On an Iphone, simply go into "settings," scroll down to "phone," then select "wifi calling" to "on." There is an initial setup for 911. I just use my home address as that's where I generally am. If you're concerned you can update the location as you wish. Anyway, once it's enabled, on the ship, put the phone in "airplane" mode and turn on your "wifi." Log into the ships wifi and it should automatically pick up wifi calling. You can tell as it will say in the corner where the carrier you are on is located. For AT&T it'll say "ATTwifi." For Verizon it'll be "VZWwifi." I know android phones can do this also, but don't know how.

It's not required to be in airplane mode, but the phone will only go to "wifi calling" when the cell signal is weak. So putting it in airplane mode will force it into "wifi calling" mode. This way you can call or text anywhere domestically with no additional charges regardless of where you are. Works worldwide if you are on wifi.

I used WiFi calling on Oasis in October with no issues. In fact, we just used WiFi calling from Hong Kong and Maldives with no problem. The WiFi on Oasis and Maldives worked just like at home, calling, text, Emails, surf internet, etc. I sent photos and videos, granted slow at times but still worked.

Anyone with recent experience on Independence? I️ was on Enchantment and didn’t have any issues with dropped calls or static, but wondering about Independence?

No recent experience, but Indy is still using the slower geosync satellite service, so I would expect the performance to be OK to poor, and highly dependent on the number of users at the time.

WiFi calling works well in general. On a ship like Anthem it was great. On older ships it works but occasionally you get a few second delay in the conversation which can be annoying. Maybe that has something to do with the geosync satellite as Bob has suggested.

T-mobile also supports wifi calling.

One caveat with wifi calling, you MUST enable it while you have a cellular connection. So do it before you leave home.

Many of the other apps charge a fee to call a phone number, but free calling app to app. So if you do not have a tech savvy person on the other end, you may need and account and payment.

No recent experience, but Indy is still using the slower geosync satellite service, so I would expect the performance to be OK to poor, and highly dependent on the number of users at the time.

On board now - ping is around 200ms so pretty sure we have O3B internet. I checked the VOOM roll call thread and it has been listing Indy with O3B for a bit. Performance varies a lot depending on time of day.

On board now - ping is around 200ms so pretty sure we have O3B internet. I checked the VOOM roll call thread and it has been listing Indy with O3B for a bit. Performance varies a lot depending on time of day.

I agree, Indy must have O3b with that ping number Thanks for the correction.

That’s good news! Thanks for reporting back! Enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Made a few WiFi calls while on the Indy T/A(Southampton to Fll) a week or so ago. No problems to call stateside.

The only ship so far that we had trouble with was the Rhapsody this past May. Calls would drop off unexpectedly from time to time. We use AT&T WiFi.

Please clarify what O3b is? What internet is typical for a newer ship like Anthem? Assuming not O3b and a low ping number like 200.

O3b is a satellite internet service using medium altitude satellites, and has lower latency and higher bandwidth capability. O3b is on all Quantum and Oasis class ships plus Frfeedom, Liberty, Indy, and Majesty. O3b is being added to other ships slowly.