Short Review of Navigator 10/29-11/13

Sheltieluv

Hi all, Well, we've been back almost a week. I've familiarized myself with that "thing" in the kitchen....I think it's called a stove. Have learned to make the bed and power up the vacuum cleaner. I don't like any of it. Not one little bit.;p

(For those interested in the first part of our cruise, I posted earlier in "Navigator not departing NY today." Summarized having to skip Bermuda and then I think I gave a brief overview of the ship and the ports, if any of you want to read that before continuing on with this post.)

This was a 15-night cruise. We loved it and had a wonderful time. While I don't know the exact "mix" of passengers, there were a lot of Europeans, especially British, and many people from Australia and New Zealand. There wasn't a single child on board. Nothing in life is perfect, but I have to say that this cruise was darn close. The staff was smiling and friendly. I honestly don't know how they keep up the high standards day after day, but they succeeded.

I know food is subjective, but very important to people. We ate once in Prime 7, and the rest of the majority of our meals were taken in Compass Rose. The service was exemplary, and the food was delicious in all venues. We ordered room service a couple of nights, and delivery was prompt and courteous. In Compass Rose, we settled in with a waiter we really liked, and ended up in his section every night. (We were able to get a table for 2 every night, but we like to eat at 6:30.) During the day we ate on the pool deck and could always find something we liked on the buffet . Drink service was excellent and attentive. I can't drink alcohol, but they did have alcohol-removed wine and beer, and of course there were lots of smoothies and virgin drinks. The bartenders actually seemed to enjoy mixing up some different concoctions for me.

I can honestly say that I have only 2 very minor complaints about food for the entire cruise. One night I was served a lukewarm baked potato. Horrors. The 2nd issue: milk. It was that long-shelf-life stuff in cartons, and I really didn't like the taste of it. The only way I could tolerate it was if it was in a milkshake. So, I had to "tolerate" way too many milkshakes during the cruise, but a girl needs her calcium, right?!:p

Thanks to posters on this board, I had learned that given 24-hour notice, the chef would prepare special requests. DH and I requested conch fritters or conch chowder; we didn't care which. Chef Michael liked the idea of conch chowder so much that our waiter informed us that he was going to prepare it and put it on the menu for everyone to enjoy. It was delicious, and he conveyed his thanks to us for suggesting it!

Another thanks to the poster(s) who mentioned the miso-glazed sea bass. It was offered, and I decided to try it. It was one of the most amazing dishes I've ever had. If you get the chance to order it, do so. Absolutely delicious.

I would like to add that 4 years ago, on our last Regent cruise to Canada, there was an elderly gentleman who was residing on the ship. I was pleasantly surprised to see him again on this cruise. Like last time, he sat at the same table every night and dined alone unless one of the officers joined him He is now 94, and our waiter said that he is in good health but his eyesight is failing. Nevertheless, every day I would see him around the ship, even at times taking "laps" on the upper deck, staunch and steady with his cane. Bless his heart.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask. Happy cruising, everyone.

Glad to hear you had a great cruise and thanks for coming back to review your experiences.

We have cruised twice on Navigator and personally I find it the friendliest ship in the fleet. For some reason it just feels different than the other ships.

Thanks, Jean.

Thank you for sharing this review! I also liked looking at the recent posting of 800 pictures of the Navigator that gives real insight into the visual aspects of the ship. The pictures combined with reviews like yours allows us to get a sense of what a cruise would be like on this ship!

Thank you, sheltieluv.....can't wait to board our favorite Regent ship for the WC in January! Chef Michael has always been creative IMO, and he apparently will still be on board when we join the ship in LA. Now if we only knew who our butler will be.......

Glad to hear you had a great cruise and thanks for coming back to review your experiences.

We have cruised twice on Navigator and personally I find it the friendliest ship in the fleet. For some reason it just feels different than the other ships.

Thanks, Jean.

Thank you for putting our thoughts into words. Navigator is our all time favorite ship. It's just right.

Five time Navigator cruiser with two more booked. I also enjoyed your thoughts and comments. I get real tired of all the trashing of the Navigator. She is the reason I stay with Regent. If you don't like her, don't come back, that leaves more suites for those of us who appreciate her charm. Also glad to hear that the "Captain" is doing well.

Chef Michael was leaving for vacation when we debarked in Miami.

Does anyone know who will be taking Chef Michael's place? Any background info on the replacing chef would also be helpful. We board on 12/11 for the Hawaii cruise.

The “Captain” was on the World Cruise on Navigator earlier this year. I was surprised at his age! He is very spry. Since I am the daughter of a Navy Captain, I had a pleasant talk with him on the walking track. A true gentleman. We were told that when he has medical issues, he sticks to itineraries closer to the US. Also, he eats Dover sole daily for lunch. I can’t vouch for the truth of all this trivia but all I know is that I want to be just like him when I grow up!

The “Captain” was on the World Cruise on Navigator earlier this year. I was surprised at his age! He is very spry. Since I am the daughter of a Navy Captain, I had a pleasant talk with him on the walking track. A true gentleman. We were told that when he has medical issues, he sticks to itineraries closer to the US. Also, he eats Dover sole daily for lunch. I can’t vouch for the truth of all this trivia but all I know is that I want to be just like him when I grow up!

Is this the same gentleman whose cane is wrapped in red and green ribbon (helps him locate it easily)? I remember someone calling him "the commodore".

I don't recall the cane being that colorful, but of course he could have several different ones. Our waiter also referred to him as the "Commodore." We were told that he always eats breakfast and lunch in his suite, but dines in Compass Rose each evening. He was always dressed in a tie and cardigan, the kind my dad always wore. We wanted to get to know him better, but of course we respected his desire for privacy.

Nico99-- sorry but I can't remember if they announced who would be taking chef Michael's place.

I don't recall the cane being that colorful, but of course he could have several different ones. Our waiter also referred to him as the "Commodore." We were told that he always eats breakfast and lunch in his suite, but dines in Compass Rose each evening. He was always dressed in a tie and cardigan, the kind my dad always wore. We wanted to get to know him better, but of course we respected his desire for privacy.

That's him!

• 2 weeks later...