So - any feedback for Pier 29? (Fort Lauderdale)

MattInFLL

The reconstruction of Pier 25 has begun, so all non-Oasis ships are likely out of Pier 29. In all my years, I've never been to it. And it looks way tucked away, far from the mid-port garage, with far more limited space for drop off, lining up etc. Any recent users have comments? Helpful or otherwise?

I did a search before posting, and I only came up with one random mention in someone's current live review of Indy. And I board her on Thursday.

I didn't put this in the Ports board since the terminal is pretty specific to Royal ships.

Thanks,

I just disembarked from the Serenade on Friday at #29. It went OK, no problems. We did self carry our luggage off. Mentioned "Global Entry" cards and were led to the front of a line.

Lots of cabs, but you had to walk a bit with luggage to get to them. Not the nicest terminal around, but if it works, it will do.

Thanks Dawn - yours is the one positive thing I've heard :) But glad to hear it!

I will admit I had some anxiety about it so I was pleasantly surprised by how well it went!! We did have a low disembarkation number so we were off pretty quick, not sure if that mattered. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just disembarked from the Serenade on Friday at #29. It went OK, no problems. We did self carry our luggage off. Mentioned "Global Entry" cards and were led to the front of a line.

Lots of cabs, but you had to walk a bit with luggage to get to them. Not the nicest terminal around, but if it works, it will do.

Did you actually have to show your Global Entry card? I was approved September 2, but I’m still waiting on my card. I do have my approval letter. I went and spent that money specifically to be able to use on this trip LOL, so I’d really hate to be thwarted. My number is linked to my passport.

Did you actually have to show your Global Entry card? I was approved September 2, but I’m still waiting on my card. I do have my approval letter. I went and spent that money specifically to be able to use on this trip LOL, so I’d really hate to be thwarted. My number is linked to my passport.

Hi Matt,

I have had Global entry and TSA pre for several years (would not dream of not having it now, It is an invaluable tool as I travel weekly). To be honest, I have not used it at a port as I am typically a suite guest and get walked off.. However, I wanted to share a couple things about it. 1. It's a little odd that for US flights, you must have your precheck number on your boarding pass, you cant simply show you card. To them, the card means nothing. However, for international ( for example, when I fly back from Canada to the us) You must have your card on you and show it in order to get into the global entry line(does not matter if it is linked or not). So for me, I have just gotten into the habit of always carrying it in my wallet. (seems like it would be easier if they just acknowledged that it was linked) but at least so far, that has not been my experience.

Pier 29.. Hi fellow cruisers. We have used 29 three or four times in the last year or so and had not had any problem. There are a couple things I might Add.

If you drive you can drop off luggage at 29 but no parking available there. Most go to Mid Port Garage on Eller Drive and take free shuttle back to ship. I use Park and Go and has worked well for use as, at 18,25, etc.

If you are doing Self Debarkation , they do not have the nice ramps like at pier 1 at Canaveral but you have to use the escalators, steps, or Elevator. Several time they have security people at top of Elevator and will not let you on unless you have a free hand for the rail. They send you over to the elevator where there is a major backup. It seems lately a lot of people are using self Dis. with a large amount of luggage.

Will be driving down and using 29 this weekend for a two week back to back so can give any current changes when we return. Bob & Nancy

Hi Matt,

I have had Global entry and TSA pre for several years (would not dream of not having it now, It is an invaluable tool as I travel weekly). To be honest, I have not used it at a port as I am typically a suite guest and get walked off.. However, I wanted to share a couple things about it. 1. It's a little odd that for US flights, you must have your precheck number on your boarding pass, you cant simply show you card. To them, the card means nothing. However, for international ( for example, when I fly back from Canada to the us) You must have your card on you and show it in order to get into the global entry line(does not matter if it is linked or not). So for me, I have just gotten into the habit of always carrying it in my wallet. (seems like it would be easier if they just acknowledged that it was linked) but at least so far, that has not been my experience.

Thank you - I have the Mobile Passport as a back up. Last time I used it, it was much faster than the regular line. Because it sounds like using the letter might be a no-go.

Pier 29.. Hi fellow cruisers. We have used 29 three or four times in the last year or so and had not had any problem. There are a couple things I might Add.

If you drive you can drop off luggage at 29 but no parking available there. Most go to Mid Port Garage on Eller Drive and take free shuttle back to ship. I use Park and Go and has worked well for use as, at 18,25, etc.

If you are doing Self Debarkation , they do not have the nice ramps like at pier 1 at Canaveral but you have to use the escalators, steps, or Elevator. Several time they have security people at top of Elevator and will not let you on unless you have a free hand for the rail. They send you over to the elevator where there is a major backup. It seems lately a lot of people are using self Dis. with a large amount of luggage.

Will be driving down and using 29 this weekend for a two week back to back so can give any current changes when we return. Bob & Nancy

So does that mean you used a gangway from the guest services level into the terminal and then had to escalator down to the main level of the terminal? That would actually be a plus for me over Pier 25, where they disembark you directly onto the pier and you then have that long walk outside to Pier 24 to get luggage and clear customs. Thanks.

The reconstruction of Pier 25 has begun, so all non-Oasis ships are likely out of Pier 29. In all my years, I've never been to it. And it looks way tucked away, far from the mid-port garage, with far more limited space for drop off, lining up etc. Any recent users have comments? Helpful or otherwise?

I did a search before posting, and I only came up with one random mention in someone's current live review of Indy. And I board her on Thursday.

I didn't put this in the Ports board since the terminal is pretty specific to Royal ships.

Thanks,

We're jumping from Allure to Silhouette on March 4th. Our jump is little longer than Pier 29 as they've moved Silhouette to Miami because of the construction. Road trip! :eek::D

Hi,

We cruised out of terminal 29 for the Freedom cruise and had no problems.

Granted the place isn’t as nice as terminal 18 but we didn’t experience any issues during our wait. What were some of the negative comments you read about?

Click on the link to my trip report under my signature below and fast forward to post #169 onward and you can follow our experience in boarding from terminal 29.

Have a great cruise.

Harry

Yes we did show our Global Entry cards at the customs desk.......went right through.

People have mentioned Global Entry. I'm Canadian and have a Nexus card which gives me access to Global Entry at places like US Customs at Pearson International Airport in Toronto. Does anyone know if that would flow through and allow me to use my nexus card at pier 29?

Last year on the Independence we went out of 29, and parked at the garage near 19. The shuttle that ran was easy and quick. On the way back, we walked right onto the shuttle, and was back at the parking garage within 10 minutes of clearing customs.

Hi,

We cruised out of terminal 29 for the Freedom cruise and had no problems.

Granted the place isn’t as nice as terminal 18 but we didn’t experience any issues during our wait. What were some of the negative comments you read about?

Click on the link to my trip report under my signature below and fast forward to post #169 onward and you can follow our experience in boarding from terminal 29.

Have a great cruise.

Harry

It seems many have not had an easy time with the shuttle from the mid-port garage to the pier and vice-versa. Some here have reported it as efficient, others have very different views. Which could also have to do with ...

Pier 29 is tucked away and you have the one road coming in and not the broader more causeway like access to 25, with the big turnaround for all vehicles. The space is smaller at 29. So some have reported it taking an hour to get from the Park 'N Go lot to the luggage drop off - which should be about 10 mins at most. Or...

Because it is a small terminal (15,000 sf of passenger waiting/checkin space vs. about double that at pier 25, and 76,000 sf at pier 18), there is no priority lane outside to get through security for those of us who would be able to use it or in suites. And...

The waiting area outside is uncovered, so if there is a long line, you have no protection from rain or the sun (and this is the land of blazing sun and lots of passing storms). Some have reported getting soaking wet (along with their carry ons) waiting to get in and probably didn't like starting the cruise feeling like a drowned rat :)

These comments were all from RC cruisers in a place that must always remain nameless here. But you know, it rhymes with Race Cook.

But I do appreciate all the feedback. I'm going to Uber over by 11, and plan for self-disembark by 8am and hopefully avoid the negative things others have experienced.

OK, now that I have experienced Pier 29. Here are my thoughts. It is harder to drive into. If you arrive at a peak time you should expect to wait both to get to luggage drop off with your car or in a taxi and then also outside to get inside the terminal. If you time it right, it won’t be so bad. I got to the terminal just at noon and it was a little crowded but OK. Contrary to what I had read there is a priority line for security for those who are in suites and or pinnacle members of Royal Caribbean‘s crown and anchor society. Once inside, again this is specific to Royal Caribbean comma there are the usual check in lines by Crown and anchor status.

So the upshot of my feedback is to arrive before noon or perhaps after about 1 or 130 and avoid peak time.

OK, now that I have experienced Pier 29. Here are my thoughts. It is harder to drive into. If you arrive at a peak time you should expect to wait both to get to luggage drop off with your car or in a taxi and then also outside to get inside the terminal. If you time it right, it won’t be so bad. I got to the terminal just at noon and it was a little crowded but OK. Contrary to what I had read there is a priority line for security for those who are in suites and or pinnacle members of Royal Caribbean‘s crown and anchor society. Once inside, again this is specific to Royal Caribbean comma there are the usual check in lines by Crown and anchor status.

So the upshot of my feedback is to arrive before noon or perhaps after about 1 or 130 and avoid peak time.

Thanks for your feedback! We hope to arrive as early as we did last year and avoid the rush!!