Haggling on Caribbean cruises

Peachypooh

I am from a country that the only haggling I see people do is at yard sales and car lots. Therefore I am at

a loss as to how to proceed in places I visit where it seems that haggling is the norm. So far I watch what other people do but sometimes I am the only person at the stall. If the item is inexpensive like a shot glass in Mexico for $1 I just pay it. At some other markets where it looks like the person selling the item actually made it I just pay it too even though it might be slightly overpriced like $10 for a Christmas ornament. I have not bought anything at a storefront of any monetary consequence. Is haggling done there? Please explain the etiquette here. I am thinking of countries like Belize, Guatemala, etc. I would rather just pay what they ask since the extra few dollars probably would do more for them than me but am I missing something here? Thanks.

It depends on the store, but haggling is often expected. If you are unsure, you can always ask politely, “Is this your best price?” If they say yes, then you know that the prices are firm. If they come back with a new price, you can accept that price or negotiate further. It helps to know what a “good” price is on a particular item, so that you can name a more reasonable price and have a good shot of getting it.

It depends on the store, but haggling is often expected. If you are unsure, you can always ask politely, “Is this your best price?” If they say yes, then you know that the prices are firm. If they come back with a new price, you can accept that price or negotiate further. It helps to know what a “good” price is on a particular item, so that you can name a more reasonable price and have a good shot of getting it.

Wonderful suggestion. Thank you!

Haggling is as much a part of the cultural travel experience as local food.

Go for it.

Nobody goes to Latin America to eat at McDonalds. (Well, the fried chicken at the McDonalds on Curaçao is surprisingly good but never mind.)

Haggle away.

I am from a country that the only haggling I see people do is at yard sales and car lots. Therefore I am at

a loss as to how to proceed in places I visit where it seems that haggling is the norm. So far I watch what other people do but sometimes I am the only person at the stall. If the item is inexpensive like a shot glass in Mexico for $1 I just pay it. At some other markets where it looks like the person selling the item actually made it I just pay it too even though it might be slightly overpriced like $10 for a Christmas ornament. I have not bought anything at a storefront of any monetary consequence. Is haggling done there? Please explain the etiquette here. I am thinking of countries like Belize, Guatemala, etc. I would rather just pay what they ask since the extra few dollars probably would do more for them than me but am I missing something here? Thanks.

I grew up in a country where bargaining over the price was the accepted norm. Another tip: Ask yourself how available the item is? Are there 10 stores in the immediate area carrying the same item? Then bargain away. Your ultimate tool is the "no thanks" walk-away. If the seller knows that you can get the same item, likely for less, at the next store, they will want the sale and they will come after you with another offer and the negotiations can begin again. But there's a flip side to this one too. If you're trying to bargain in some place where there are plenty of customers who do NOT bargain (such as in or around a cruise ship terminal) you may find that the seller has no incentive to bargain with you. They know they can make the sale at full marked up price to someone else, probably as soon as you walk out of the store.

I have a hard time haggling. My experience is at resorts not cruise ships. On a trip to Cuba with the girls we walked off the resort to go to a market. I didn't know that you were suppose to haggle and just paid full price for everything. I thought the price was reasonable until I noticed my girlfriends haggling a getting stuff cheaper. Another time in Mexico we took a bus to the market and did some shopping there. My daughter wanted a bracelet and I just told the guy that I can't haggle and just tell me what he wanted for it. Got a great price. Our friends that we were with were in a different store and they bought their daughter the same bracelet and paid twice the amount I did. I just hope that my friend I am going with in January is good at that because I suck at that stuff.

Just offer 33-40% off of everything. Whatever math is easier.

If they don't bargain, they'll tell you. If they do, you should come to an agreement quick because the hardcore bargainers will ask for 50-60% off as their opening offer. You're a foreigner. They know you likely don't know local customs. They will NOT be offended (some might pretend to be, but that's also a bargaining tactic).

I come from a bargaining culture. You don't take offense. Even in America, I've seen my dad try to bargain at Target. You actually can negotiate in the electronics section (they just tell you if they're running any promos). It just doesn't work when you're trying to bargain for shaving cream there.

On the cruise you and I just got off, haggling is part of the game. I am not sure about Harvest Caye, but other wise, like Costa Maya and Guatemala, yes, the vendors expect it. I do agree, for a buck or two, no, not worth bargaining.

On the cruise you and I just got off, haggling is part of the game. I am not sure about Harvest Caye, but other wise, like Costa Maya and Guatemala, yes, the vendors expect it. I do agree, for a buck or two, no, not worth bargaining.

Thanks Nita. Hope your trip home went smoothly.