Crown Princess questions

serene56

Where do we get on the ship? The plaza?

my dad is 88 years old. Good health but has a tough time getting around. I got him a scooter but it will be in the room.

How do i get him from the taxi to the inside check in- then to the room? will there be wheel chair assistance outside? can we use a wheel chair for him til he gets to the room?

I can answer question 1. I embarked on Nov 8 and entered on deck 5 right next to the internet cafe. If you look at a deck map you will see the elevators not too far away. The Plaza with seating is nearby too.

We were at Pier 2 in case this makes a difference.

Where do we get on the ship? The plaza?

my dad is 88 years old. Good health but has a tough time getting around. I got him a scooter but it will be in the room.

How do i get him from the taxi to the inside check in- then to the room? will there be wheel chair assistance outside? can we use a wheel chair for him til he gets to the room?

I believe there is curbside assistance for passengers who have mobility issues. From the main check-in level at Port Everglades, the most common terminals used by Princess will involve an elevator ride for your dad and party. Princess typically has two gangways for boarding, dividing passengers based upon cabin numbers. Typically each gangway enters the ship on a different level, both near a bank of elevators. I do believe that tides determine which two levels will be used on your embarkation day.

Princess, I have observed, is very accommodating. There are, however, union restrictions that may come into play with disembarkation. As I understand, you may need to wait for a port employee to come on board to assist with the wheelchair, as ship's employees are not permitted to work in the port.

A word of caution based upon a recent experience this year in an Alaskan Port. When it was time to return to the ship before sailing, I looked at the gangway and it appeared that they moved it from the atrium's low level--- up to the Lido deck! In actuality we were at high tide, causing a Mount Everest climb. Poor woman in scooter could NOT get her scooter up the ramp without two people pushing her scooter up the steep incline.

We had no wheelchair assistance outside at PE. But we skipped the line outside the terminal and a staff at the door led us to be seated at a waiting area near the entrance. Once the check-in process is ready, we were on the wheelchair up to our cabin door.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Get him a wheel chair for the trip from arriving at the port to your cabin. My wife gets around OK unless she has to stand in line too long. So we get a wheelchair at both the airports and at the port.

Paul we already have a wheel chair at the airport (supplied by the air people that will take him to a waiting taxi.

so getting him from the taxi to check in-- and to the room (where a scooter should be waiting as that is pre ordered)

can i pre order a wheel chair at the port?

Paul we already have a wheel chair at the airport (supplied by the air people that will take him to a waiting taxi.

so getting him from the taxi to check in-- and to the room (where a scooter should be waiting as that is pre ordered)

can i pre order a wheel chair at the port?

No, you need to pre-arrange it with Princess or your TA. There is a form to fill out that they will email you. I just had to do this for my husband.

FROM EXPERIENCE...my mom, she is in heaven now, but we called Princess and they said there would be wheelchairs available the the trip....not so. They come at a much later time and are not outside the pier. We had to actually carry my mom, as she had heart and copd. When we got to security, we said her health was at risk and they got a chair, but it only took her right to the room and then would not leave the chair!!! We could not get to the buffet to eat as she could not walk that far.

FROM EXPERIENCE, rent or buy a wheelchair and it is your own. PEACE OF MIND, trust me. You can get them at sales very inexpensive too. As an extra note, you may want to bring a little pillow of some sort for the bottom, as going over the lumps in the hallway is very uncomfortable.

FROM EXPERIENCE...my mom, she is in heaven now, but we called Princess and they said there would be wheelchairs available the the trip....not so. They come at a much later time and are not outside the pier. We had to actually carry my mom, as she had heart and copd. When we got to security, we said her health was at risk and they got a chair, but it only took her right to the room and then would not leave the chair!!! We could not get to the buffet to eat as she could not walk thate.
we did rent a scooter but it will be in the room. Curious to ask did you think wheel chairs will be omboard for guests to get around