Wheelchair/scooter

stewarttm

Hello everyone. I am taking my mother on a cruise next week on Independence of the Seas. She currently recovering from radiation therapy for her cancer. Her doctor gave her the ok to go but she worried about the amount of walking on board. My question is: if she uses the scooter or wheelchair to get to the dinning room is there a place we could park it so she could use a regular dinning chair. And along those same lines if we used the wheelchair/scooter to get to gangplank for our excursions could we leave it there and get it when we come back?

Thanks for your help.

I always transfer from my power chair to a regular room chair. One of the dining room attendant will take my power chair somewhere while I’m dining and bring it back. They seem to get a big kick out of it. They sometimes kid each other about who gets to drive it:). Don’t know about the gangway. There’s no way I could make the walk from the ship to the end of the pier. I just choose my excursions carefully so that they can put the chair in the bus or the trunk.

Hello everyone. I am taking my mother on a cruise next week on Independence of the Seas. She currently recovering from radiation therapy for her cancer. Her doctor gave her the ok to go but she worried about the amount of walking on board. My question is: if she uses the scooter or wheelchair to get to the dinning room is there a place we could park it so she could use a regular dinning chair. And along those same lines if we used the wheelchair/scooter to get to gangplank for our excursions could we leave it there and get it when we come back?

Thanks for your help.

Dining Room : The scooter or wheelchair can be taken directly to the table. Your waiter or assistant waiter will than take it and park it out of the way. At the end of dinner your waiter or assistant will retrieve the scooter/wheelchair and bring to table.

Gangway/Excursions: Security will not allow the wheelchair/scooter to be left at the gangway. There's no room to do so and it also violates SOLAS (Safety of Life at Sea) Regulations which does not permit any much items to be left in public areas of the ship. You'll have to leave in enough time to get you mother down to gangway and you than return the scooter/wheelchair to the room . The reverse would have to be done upon your return. If you rent a wheelchair you can do as the previous poster does and select the excursions carefully so the wheelchair can be folded and placed on the bus.

Oh one more thing, are usually go to the maître d’ the first day and see if I can get a table near the entry so I don’t have to navigate through the tables that are often close together.

Yes, that's what we do when our friend, also a wheelchair user, cruises with us. We were always seated at a table near the entrance of the dining room.

Enjoy your cruise with your mother!