Do I Need To Bring My Passport On Shore Excursions?

BlueWaterBaby

I've read conflicting information about whether or not I need to bring my passport with me when leaving the ship at the different ports. I'd rather not bring it if I don't absolutely have to. The idea of leaving it on the beach while I'm in the water is not the least bit appealing. Nor does it seem smart.

My ports of call will be, Great Stirrup Cay, Ocho Rios(Jamaica), Georgetown(Grand Cayman) and Cozumel Mexico...before returning to Port Canaveral.

I am a Canadian (married to an American) residing in the U.S. Of course he has an American passport but I will be using my Canadian passport. I do have a Florida drivers license and my "green card", both as government issued photo I.D.s but those are in my married name and I am traveling based on the name on my passport which doesn't match the surname on those I.D.s... uggg... I really need to get a new passport issued in the new surname but it's too late for that on this trip!

My passport is always with me, my preference. I am not in any habit of loosing my wallet, credit cards, money etc, . I never leave any valuables on beaches, I have a waterproof neck floater where my phone, passport, cc, money go with me. I also double bag these in zip locks, due to unexpected possible seal failure.

"Conflicts" in information are personal choices. both are "correct", but it will only take one incident happening, before you make sure you always have your passport with you.

Just carry a scanned copy of the relevant page(s) of your passport. Also of your Florida Divers Licence and "Green Card" and probably also your Marriage Licence then all bases are covered.

No, you aren't "covered" with copies of these documents.

Thank you for the replies.

I am going to ask at embarkation if they will use my married name on my ship card, if they can do that, with a notation in the computer or whatever, it sure will make things easier on me. Fingers crossed they will be reasonable about this if I show them a copy of my marriage certificate along with my other government issued ID

As a back up to that plan I guess I go on a quick hunt for a waterproof document holder I can wear into the water. With Thanksgiving on Thursday and us leaving on Friday I don't feel I can trust amazon to get it to me on time.

Thanks again for prompt replies!

My passport is always with me, my preference. I am not in any habit of loosing my wallet, credit cards, money etc, . I never leave any valuables on beaches, I have a waterproof neck floater where my phone, passport, cc, money go with me. I also double bag these in zip locks, due to unexpected possible seal failure.

"Conflicts" in information are personal choices. both are "correct", but it will only take one incident happening, before you make sure you always have your passport with you.

You certainly are limiting your choice of cruise lines (since pretty much all of the premium/luxury lines require passengers to surrender them at embarkation on a wide variety of itineraries).

In any case, keep your eye out for those little kids with bandaged fingers!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My passport is always with me, my preference. I am not in any habit of loosing my wallet, credit cards, money etc, .....

You will want ID that matches you ship card. So you should bring your passport

I find it very funny that you are not in a habit of loosing wallet, etc. Very few people are in the HABIT of that. LOL!~

They almost never match an ID with ship card. A few ports might, but it is so very rare. In about 90% of our cruises, the main thing anyone wants is a ship ID. Some places want another ID,but they just make sure you have one. so very rare they even look close.

As a cruise passenger, you don't need to bring it ashore. No worries. Bring your DL...you should ALWAYS have ID on you...but your DL is easier than a passport...same size as your cabin key!

The issue is that the surnames are different from my Passport that I booked the cruise with than my married name that is on my DL.

Soon to be remedied, but not befor embarkation on a Saturday unfortunately!

I find it very funny that you are not in a habit of loosing wallet, etc. Very few people are in the HABIT of that. LOL!~

They almost never match an ID with ship card. A few ports might, but it is so very rare. In about 90% of our cruises, the main thing anyone wants is a ship ID. Some places want another ID,but they just make sure you have one. so very rare they even look close.

My point is people seem to think a passport is a bar of gold, to be kept in a safe at all costs. Claims of worry about loosing it etc. I do not find a passport any more valuable than any of my other listed. My habits safeguard my property, as I mentioned, I've been carrying my passport- every day, for years.

You certainly are limiting your choice of cruise lines (since pretty much all of the premium/luxury lines require passengers to surrender them at embarkation on a wide variety of itineraries).

Hardly. :) I cruise at least every month, 14 already this year.

And- you can be given your passport- even if it is "taken" (which is many times for ease of passenger accounting, c&i). in some cases. I did this in South America this past season.

Several years ago we had a friend who did a lot of work in other countries. His advice to us was to never carry your passport with you. We have always heeded his advice and it paid off on one of our cruises when my bag was taken during a excursion. We were on an open bus and an argument broke out between our driver and the driver of another bus. We later realized it was a diversion so we wouldn't notice our things being taken. My passport was safely in the safe at the boat. My husband got on the boat and got my passport and had another key made and came out and got me.

So the only thing I have come up with is this. What are the chances you would miss the ship and what would you be able to do with the documents you had with you?

If you are just going to the beach and you can easily get to the ship not a real worry. Going on a private tour that will return 1 hour before sailing and the car breaks down on the road with no cell service could be stranded!

So the only thing I have come up with is this. What are the chances you would miss the ship and what would you be able to do with the documents you had with you?

If you are just going to the beach and you can easily get to the ship not a real worry. Going on a private tour that will return 1 hour before sailing and the car breaks down on the road with no cell service could be stranded!

Use the search feature here and you'll see the drill:

Gonna be late?

Call the ship (probably via the port agent)

If purser doesn't already have your passport-

Tell him/her it's location

Ship personnel will retrieve it/them

See port agent at pier for return of passport(s)

Ask tour agent to make good on promise to get you to next port in time.

Screwed up? Call anyway and, hopefully, Harbor pilot will bring it back to port agent.

My point is people seem to think a passport is a bar of gold, to be kept in a safe at all costs. Claims of worry about loosing it etc. I do not find a passport any more valuable than any of my other listed. My habits safeguard my property, as I mentioned, I've been carrying my passport- every day, for years.

I agree. I won’t be out of my home country without it on me. Period. Americans are the only people in the world who have hangups about carrying their passports when traveling abroad. It’s bizarre.

Fact is, it’s much easier to have your identity stolen with a driver’s license than with a passport, which doesn’t even show your home address.

I've read conflicting information about whether or not I need to bring my passport with me when leaving the ship at the different ports. I'd rather not bring it if I don't absolutely have to. The idea of leaving it on the beach while I'm in the water is not the least bit appealing. Nor does it seem smart.

My ports of call will be, Great Stirrup Cay, Ocho Rios(Jamaica), Georgetown(Grand Cayman) and Cozumel Mexico...before returning to Port Canaveral.

I am a Canadian (married to an American) residing in the U.S. Of course he has an American passport but I will be using my Canadian passport. I do have a Florida drivers license and my "green card", both as government issued photo I.D.s but those are in my married name and I am traveling based on the name on my passport which doesn't match the surname on those I.D.s... uggg... I really need to get a new passport issued in the new surname but it's too late for that on this trip!

normally a picture id as well as your key card is all you need where you are going. We just got off the Pearl; similar itinerary. And yes, you do want to update the passport before you travel again. Have a great cruise.

I make the decision port by port. NCL private island? It stays on the ship. NCL excursion that takes you very close to the ship (one hour trolley tour for example) usually stays on ship. However ship tour or not I take it with me in places like Cartagena and keep it close at all times. Just don't want to risk not having the passport in a place that I don't speak the language and might be a little or alot unsafe.