Internet access Caribbean Princess

smeck

Like bad dialup.

When all we had was dial-up and putting the phone receiver into a rubber cradle, it seemed wonderful to be able to connect remotely to a computer. And it seemed fast enough at the time. I guess it's like Bill Gates original thought that 64K was enough memory. LOL.

Taking a ten day cruise on the CB in January. Was curious how good is the internet onboard?

Depends what you wish to use it for, and time of day it is used. For reading/sending e-mails it's fine. Realize that sometimes the system is very busy and very slow to respond. I normally review my e-mails late evening, during dinner hours, on port days.

You pay by the min. Expensive if you wish to stay on line a lot.

New Medallion Net service being rolled out to the fleet, but do not believe it will be installed on the Caribbean in January. Probably March when the Caribbean becomes a medallion ship.

we only used it on the Crown because of the free minutes. Very spotty and iffy to even get on, but once you were connected, wife said it was decent enough to check fakebook and even post some pics.

One time she was even able to facetime, not the best connection, but serviceable for a few minutes.

We were on the Caribbean Princess in January, before dry dock, and again in late September, after dry dock. We stay on the same deck in the same area of the ship when we travel. I found the internet better after dry dock, if you stayed in your room. If you went out on the balcony, I did not have any. This last time, I had quick entry on and off and never got bumped off nor was I still 'logged on' after logging off.

The minutes do go fast, so write your replies to people before getting online.

I used my minutes just to get emails, never to down load a book or movie. Do all that before sailing!