Solo traveler pointers

CruzLover80

Okay so I am going on the Escape (2nd time) in less than 2 weeks as a graduation gift from my husband. I will be going solo, as he can't join me. I have taken a ton of cruises but this is my first time cruising solo... what are some pointers?

Side note: I am 37. The only reason I mention my age because it is more common for older people to cruise solo.

Sent from my LG-K212 using Forums mobile app

In case you haven't found it, there is a solo cruiser forum on this site. It often has useful into to read through. Link below:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=373

What type of topics are you looking for discussion on? Are you wanting to meet people? Find the quiet locations to disappear in? Dining options? etc?

Personally, I've traveled solo several times. I'm not all that interested in meeting people when I cruise, but I also still do pretty much everything that other cruisers do. I go to the bars; I go to various dining venues; I go to shows; I go to the pool; etc. Sometimes I strike up conversation with those near me. Many times I don't. I LOVE having the ability to whatever I want, whenever I want without worrying about someone I'm with may or may not really want to do that.

You will be fine going as solo on the cruise. Did you already join your cruise roll call if there is one?

If there is a roll call, join so you can chat with what other cruisers are doing. If there is a meet & greet, sign up for that.

On all NCL cruises, they have solo travelers meetings. The location & time would be posted on the NCL freestyle daily.

At these meetings, you can join other solo for dinner or you can eat by yourself.

Have fun!! :)

I have signed up for the M&G. I don't know I think really just relaxing, napping and sunning. I think the hardest time for me will be the evenings. Dining primarily. Do they just sit solos at a table all to themselves? I don't mind eating alone but it would be nice to not have to eat alone a day or 2.

I have signed up for the M&G. I don't know I think really just relaxing, napping and sunning. I think the hardest time for me will be the evenings. Dining primarily. Do they just sit solos at a table all to themselves? I don't mind eating alone but it would be nice to not have to eat alone a day or 2.

Well, in the evening - there are shows you can attend as well as other activities.

For dining - if you are meeting other from the solo travelers group - you can eat with these people that are interested in having dinner together. If not through this group, then you would be eating at a table all to yourself.

I love cruising solo. Dining is really easy. I only do specialty resturants and bring my IPad to read between courses. The crew has always been wonderful and takes very good care of solo travelers.

I've only gone to the MDR a couple of times. Once they sat me with four other people and once they sat me alone at a table for two. If you want to sit with others, ask the hostess when you check in.

Okay so I am going on the Escape (2nd time) in less than 2 weeks as a graduation gift from my husband. I will be going solo, as he can't join me. I have taken a ton of cruises but this is my first time cruising solo... what are some pointers?

Side note: I am 37. The only reason I mention my age because it is more common for older people to cruise solo.

Are you staying in the studios? I enjoyed them very much on the Epic!

If you want company for dinner, join the studio lounge meet ups where a cruise staff takes everyone who is willing to eat together.

Have fun!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When you look at the dailies each night there will be a solo meet up. Larger ships it is in the studio lounge. Open to passangers in other cabins as well. Someone from the cruse line will facilitate and make reservations as needed. Some people will wonder off to dinner in smaller groups or as a larger group. Driven by the dynamics of who is there and what the passanger interests happen to be.

If you are in the studio's, you often meet people in the lounge. (there is also a great coffee machine in the lounge!) If your worried about dining alone, take part in the daily solo meet and greet and that way you will be able to sign up to dinners with people. Its the same for entertainment and the shows... I love cruising solo!! :)

So I booked a balcony because I could not pass up on the price! I didn't know I can still do the studio meet up... that will be awesome! I tend to find myself more of an introvert since I make a living from listening and talking so I am really looking forward to quiet time but there is comfort knowing that things are available to me... if I so desire.

So I booked a balcony because I could not pass up on the price! I didn't know I can still do the studio meet up... that will be awesome! I tend to find myself more of an introvert since I make a living from listening and talking so I am really looking forward to quiet time but there is comfort knowing that things are available to me... if I so desire.

You'll be fine. Definitely try the solo events coordinated in the Studios. It really will depend on the dynamics of the passengers and coordinating crew on that particular cruise. But even if you need to dine solo, it's not a big deal. I do both speciality restaurants and sometimes just the buffet. I often take a book or iPad to read during my meal. No one blinks an eye. If you wish to meet people, you will have the opportunity. Enjoy your time away!

Well, in the evening - there are shows you can attend as well as other activities.

For dining - if you are meeting other from the solo travelers group - you can eat with these people that are interested in having dinner together. If not through this group, then you would be eating at a table all to yourself.

Gee, I just ask the dining room hostess to sit at a sharing table, and I am usually quickly seated at a 6-8 seat table with others who also wish to share a table. Have had numerous interesting and friendly lunches and dinners this way.

I can confirm you can definitely share a table in the restaurants if you ask to, they normally ask if you mind sharing, if not you can do a table for 1 too! If you don't get on with the solo meet and greet folk, letting the staff in the restaurant do it for you is another good option! :)

They will set up specialty restaurant reservations, but most of the "group dinners" are in the MDR...

Do they set up dinners at the specialty restaurants for solos or just the MDR? Wondering how many specialty dinner nights (package) I should get and how many I should book in advance?:confused:

They will set up specialty restaurant reservations, but most of the "group dinners" are in the MDR...

The last time I was on the Breakaway, they had a sign up sheet for those planning ahead to dine together in various specialty restaurants, on different dates....and as mentioned, each evening, at the conclusion of the solo get together, they invited all not going to a specialty restaurant to go as a group to the main dining room where they had one, or two large tables set up...

The real beauty of solo cruising is that you can decided to be as sociable as you wish, and have me time without worrying about it.

As has been mentioned already, there are some aspects that are very dependent on who the solo cruise co-ordinator happens to be that week, and experiences seem to be different by ship also.

I was on my first cruise this summer on The Epic... I had a fantastic time, but wasn't particularly impressed with our solo co-ordinator... however a group of us started making our own arrangements for dining in the evenings. I chose to eat alone a few nights too... and randomly ended up sitting with a lovely group of ladies I met to see the shows I went to. My experience of turning up at the MDR happy to share a table, was that I ate alone that night.

Do they set up dinners at the specialty restaurants for solos or just the MDR? Wondering how many specialty dinner nights (package) I should get and how many I should book in advance?:confused:

There was no sign of our solo co-ordinator arranging anything like this, so I would suggest going along to the solo meetups and asking if anyone else is looking to dine in the speciality restaurants and making your own arrangements... or it may be even better to make those arrangements prior to the cruise via your role call.

I have my 2nd solo cruise booked for next summer on The Escape. Can't wait!

The real beauty of solo cruising is that you can decided to be as sociable as you wish, and have me time without worrying about it.

As has been mentioned already, there are some aspects that are very dependent on who the solo cruise co-ordinator happens to be that week, and experiences seem to be different by ship also.

I was on my first cruise this summer on The Epic... I had a fantastic time, but wasn't particularly impressed with our solo co-ordinator... however a group of us started making our own arrangements for dining in the evenings. I chose to eat alone a few nights too... and randomly ended up sitting with a lovely group of ladies I met to see the shows I went to. My experience of turning up at the MDR happy to share a table, was that I ate alone that night.

There was no sign of our solo co-ordinator arranging anything like this, so I would suggest going along to the solo meetups and asking if anyone else is looking to dine in the speciality restaurants and making your own arrangements... or it may be even better to make those arrangements prior to the cruise via your role call.

I have my 2nd solo cruise booked for next summer on The Escape. Can't wait!

I have found the NCL co-ordinator will do what ever the group asks for. If you tell him/her, some of us would like to do a specific speciality restarant, they will make a call and make it all happen for you.

I went on my first solo cruise last in September. Dawn, out of Boston. My wife is a teacher, so we usually only sail during peak times. I found an incredible bargain and didn't have to fly, so I booked a solo cruise while she worked. I was apprehensive about going to dinner on my own. However, I booked 5 SDP restaurants anyway. It turned out that there was nothing to be concerned about. NCL knows how to treat solos. Nobody ever said "just one?" or "are you dining alone?" they just greeted me and showed me to my table. In fact, being solo I seemed to always get a great table by a window. I was on the cruise to read, relax, and enjoy the UBP so I kept to myself most of the time. I didn't bother going to the solo group meetings because I wasn't looking to be with a group during the trip. I engaged in conversation when I wanted some company, but otherwise, I enjoyed some quality quiet time. You're going to have a great time, whatever you do.

Are you on the dec 2 or dec 9 cruise? I will be on both. Not sure if you know it there is also a Facebook page for the dec 9 cruise but not sure which week you are on. I cruise the escape a lot. It is a great ship. I am 44. It's my favorite ship. I personally don't mind dining alone but I know some don't like that part of solo cruising. I think you will find cruising solo is quite fun. Do the evening meet ups if you want to join others for dinners or shows. I don't normally do that myself but have met many people on board that go and they always seem to have a great time. I can gladly answer any questions if you have any.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just posted at the end of this post but I am a nurse who is always having to talk with people daily in my job and sometimes it is nice to have some quieter times which is why I love solo cruising. Be sure to check out what is going on in the atrium at nite as they have some great game shows and funny events. A little crowded there but worth it. Also the comedy shows are great. I love the late nite ones but only good if you are not easily offended as it is the adult show. Do you have the dining package ? I love balconies but don't get them often as they are normally pricey for the solo person. I take my mattress off the bed and put it on the balcony and sleep out there lol. I am sure it would be frowned upon if they knew but it is so nice to sleep under the moon and stars and listen to the ocean. I have a few dinner for two vouchers as I am platinum so if you would like to go to cagneys steak house feel free to message me and I can tell you what nite I am going. It would be a free dinner and a bottle of wine for you if you want it cause I don't drink wine and it comes with it. Cagneys is awesome. Kind of a waste to use it just for one person. Only thing is that I usually go at 530 as I like to sit on the waterfront while we sale away from one of the ports.

• 3 weeks later...
I just posted at the end of this post but I am a nurse who is always having to talk with people daily in my job and sometimes it is nice to have some quieter times which is why I love solo cruising. Be sure to check out what is going on in the atrium at nite as they have some great game shows and funny events. A little crowded there but worth it. Also the comedy shows are great. I love the late nite ones but only good if you are not easily offended as it is the adult show. Do you have the dining package ? I love balconies but don't get them often as they are normally pricey for the solo person. I take my mattress off the bed and put it on the balcony and sleep out there lol. I am sure it would be frowned upon if they knew but it is so nice to sleep under the moon and stars and listen to the ocean. I have a few dinner for two vouchers as I am platinum so if you would like to go to cagneys steak house feel free to message me and I can tell you what nite I am going. It would be a free dinner and a bottle of wine for you if you want it cause I don't drink wine and it comes with it. Cagneys is awesome. Kind of a waste to use it just for one person. Only thing is that I usually go at 530 as I like to sit on the waterfront while we sale away from one of the ports.

Wow thanks for the invite, stinks that I got it late. I never got the rest of the messages on this post and thought it just dwindled away. Thanks for all the advice albeit a little late for me now. Lol. I went and am back already. I ended up having a fantastic time. I did a lot of R&R and reading. Oddly enough I found myself doing things I don't normally when traveling with my husband. I went to the meet and greet, NCL Latitude party, Glow night, 80s night, went in the Jacuzzi lol. My husband asked for solo cruise girl to join him on our next cruise lol. But I slept... Like a lot. I never felt pressure to do anything and that in itself is glorious. I did get off the ship... for 30 min in Jamaica and Bahamas (just too tired and lazy) and did a small island tour in Grand Cayman. I met some wonderful people and very friendly (so many people were impressed by my courage just would buy me drinks since I didn't get the UBP). I had meals alone, some with a couple I met, others at the bar, room service. I read, listened to podcasts and did I mention sleep? Lol. I think I need another one. Lol.