WC on QE2or HAL FOR 2018

tgetz

We have held a cabin on HAL for their 2018 World cruise because my husbad wants to go on a phot safari but just noticed that the QAE2s itinerary goes to South Africa, also, but it also has about 8 stops in Japan an area we have not been to. We are 4 star with Holland and very familiar with their ships and I have followed many blogs for their world cruises, but we have only sailed once on Cunard on the QM2 on a crossing. I do know it is more formal which is not a real negative for us, however, I know nothing about what they do for world cruises. I know they have many segments and many people e that are only on for a shorter time. Does anyone have any experience they or will share or are their any blogs from world cruisers I can read. Thanks for any insight. We would book a queens category cabin on Cunard and have a Pinnacle suite on Holland.

Does Cunard have butlers, can't remember?

We have held a cabin on HAL for their 2018 World cruise because my husbad wants to go on a phot safari but just noticed that the QAE2s itinerary goes to South Africa, also, but it also has about 8 stops in Japan an area we have not been to. We are 4 star with Holland and very familiar with their ships and I have followed many blogs for their world cruises, but we have only sailed once on Cunard on the QM2 on a crossing. I do know it is more formal which is not a real negative for us, however, I know nothing about what they do for world cruises. I know they have many segments and many people e that are only on for a shorter time. Does anyone have any experience they or will share or are their any blogs from world cruisers I can read. Thanks for any insight. We would book a queens category cabin on Cunard and have a Pinnacle suite on Holland.

Here are blogs from previous Cunard WC'ers:

http://kathisworldvoyage.blogspot.com/

http://worldviaqe.blogspot.com/2015_01_01_archive.html

You must mean Queen Mary 2 because the Queen Elizabeth 2 has been retired for some years now. There are come amenities, such as a special lounge, dedicated to those on the full world voyage.

Cunard ships have butlers in the Queens Grill suites (grades Q1 through Q7).

You might want to ask this on the Cunard board: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54

Hi Tgetz - I dont want to push my own boat but here is a link to my blog that I did for the World Cruise on the Queen Victoria this year.

http://exitviathegiftshop.blogspot.co.nz

It includes the 120 days around the world including the Panama and South Africa. and also the culture onboard and excursions we took during port visits. Its also covers 4 different stateroom changes I did including the final month where I was in Grills.

If you're interested in particular in South African cruise excursions I also posted on another other blog I do,

http://roscoesseafever.blogspot.co.nz/2013/09/the-circle-of-life-african-safari.html

and also

http://roscoesseafever.blogspot.co.nz/2015/11/mondessa-off-beaten-track.html

Good luck., a WC is an amazing experience, I have no regrets at all and planning another one already.

Roscoe what fun to read your blogs. They are so well written i may not need to ever take a world cruise, i will just follow you on yours. :-) Thank you so very much, lots of very good information.

While we both like the itinerary of the QE best, and feel that trip might be a little more 'upscale' and we are OK with it being more formal, we are now comparing meals. We do like to dine for dinner but for breakfast I like fruit and yogurt(for medical issues that is best for me)and for lunch either a light salad or maybe a tuna sandwich. Can't seem to find information on that. I can see menus and did find what is available from room service, but I did not find yogurt anywhere. I know it is available on Holland and you can write just about anything in on your breakfast room service order and receive it.

For lunch we prefer a real casual quick and easy style. Lido works for us. Any thoughts?

Roscoe what fun to read your blogs. They are so well written i may not need to ever take a world cruise, i will just follow you on yours. :-) Thank you so very much, lots of very good information.

While we both like the itinerary of the QE best, and feel that trip might be a little more 'upscale' and we are OK with it being more formal, we are now comparing meals. We do like to dine for dinner but for breakfast I like fruit and yogurt(for medical issues that is best for me)and for lunch either a light salad or maybe a tuna sandwich. Can't seem to find information on that. I can see menus and did find what is available from room service, but I did not find yogurt anywhere. I know it is available on Holland and you can write just about anything in on your breakfast room service order and receive it.

For lunch we prefer a real casual quick and easy style. Lido works for us. Any thoughts?

there are plenty of options onboard, the pubs pretty good, and I use the burger bar at the back of the ship by the lido pool. The ship often has special lunches, including sushi days, salad days, etc. but they also have a pretty decent sandwich bar with a choice of breads, and fillings. I remember tuna was available as was beef and chicken options.

Yoghurt was available in pots and also I remember seeing it in bowls.

Trust me...finding something to eat, whether its simple or not...is not a problem.

Cunard seems to really look after the WCers, we had our own area on the ship, cocktail parties, presents at the beginning of the sectors etc, I felt we were really made to feel special and that we were appreciated, so much so that Im planning another WC in 2019. It really was a trip of a lifetime...well,...maybe a couple of trips of a lifetime. You will never regret it.

Edited by roscoe39

• 7 months later...

Roscoe,

I have a similar question because the 2019 QE cruise appeals to me. We sailed on the QM2 crossing last May and found to food to be very bland and in some case, unappetizing - particularly in the Kings Court. Is the food on a World Cruise different - perhaps with more spices or variety?

The other negative aspect of the Queens is that the balcony cabins are, it appears, about the size of HAL's Vista and Signature class verandas. They are a bit smaller than the Amsterdam's verandah cabin, but that difference is important to us. I wonder if we would be happy on a long cruise in a reduced space.

Any encouraging comments that you might have would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
Roscoe,

I have a similar question because the 2019 QE cruise appeals to me. We sailed on the QM2 crossing last May and found to food to be very bland and in some case, unappetizing - particularly in the Kings Court. Is the food on a World Cruise different - perhaps with more spices or variety?

The other negative aspect of the Queens is that the balcony cabins are, it appears, about the size of HAL's Vista and Signature class verandas. They are a bit smaller than the Amsterdam's verandah cabin, but that difference is important to us. I wonder if we would be happy on a long cruise in a reduced space.

Hi Tampa Girl, the head chef on the QV this year - Klaus told me that he gears the menus for the different sectors of the world cruise as we travelled through the different parts of the world. He must have meant the fresh vegetables and fresh produce because I didn't notice the menus change per se, in fact they seemed to have a two week rotation and you could begin to pretty well predict the menus before they happened. That being said, there are plenty of options on the ships.

and I didn't have a problem I was always able to find something to eat. When I was tired of the rich food I concentrated on "off menu" items such as a steak or a chicken breast.

The verandas are not huge but they are adequate for sitting on and reading (or sleeping as happened to me on more than one occasion) and dont tell anyone but....the verandahs on deck 4 are quite a bit deeper than the others on board. But please dont spread it around because otherwise they will always be booked and i wont get one next time i want one.

Dont hesitate about a full world cruise...just do it...i'm off again in 2019..

Roscoe,

I have found that the Cunard food is geared more to the British taste. That works well for me because I don't like very spicy food.

As to the balcony cabins, could saving over $10,000 per person make it easier to put up with less space? You are correct that the QE balcony staterooms are about the same size as the HAL signature ships.

Hi Tampa Girl, the head chef on the QV this year - Klaus told me that he gears the menus for the different sectors of the world cruise as we travelled through the different parts of the world. He must have meant the fresh vegetables and fresh produce because I didn't notice the menus change per se, in fact they seemed to have a two week rotation and you could begin to pretty well predict the menus before they happened. That being said, there are plenty of options on the ships.

and I didn't have a problem I was always able to find something to eat. When I was tired of the rich food I concentrated on "off menu" items such as a steak or a chicken breast.

The verandas are not huge but they are adequate for sitting on and reading (or sleeping as happened to me on more than one occasion) and dont tell anyone but....the verandahs on deck 4 are quite a bit deeper than the others on board. But please dont spread it around because otherwise they will always be booked and i wont get one next time i want one.

Dont hesitate about a full world cruise...just do it...i'm off again in 2019..

Thanks, Roscoe - appreciate your time in replying. Much to think about.

I have found that the Cunard food is geared more to the British taste. That works well for me because I don't like very spicy food.

As to the balcony cabins, could saving over $10,000 per person make it easier to put up with less space? You are correct that the QE balcony staterooms are about the same size as the HAL signature ships.

You have a point - $10,000 per person goes a long way. But where did you get those numbers, and are you comparing the Britannia or the Club Britannia with HAL's verandahs? I noted that there was a $10,000 pp. difference between the Britannia and the Club Britannia. It is hard to make a good comparison at the moment because the 2019 HAL world cruise has not yet been posted, and prices are no longer shown on the sold-out 2018 cruise.

T....the verandahs on deck 4 are quite a bit deeper than the others on board. But please dont spread it around because otherwise they will always be booked and i wont get one next time i want one.

Is this also true of the QE? I think your observations are of the QV.

Here is a picture taken from my 7th floor balcony. The one drawback to the 4th floor balconies is that you can be seen if you are standing at the railing. Also, remember that the far forward ones are metal fronted.

1060_zpsz4n3fgpg.jpg