First time in NYC~Help!

Kristy19

My husband and I are cruising out of the Manhattan terminal October 7th. We plan to arrive October 3rd and are staying at the Wyndham Midtown Manhattan. We're coming early to do the touristy thing. We are driving from Missouri to see the sights along the way but we do not want to drive in NYC!!! We live in a town that has one flashing traffic light and no Wal-Mart, if that gives you an idea about our normal driving conditions!

What are some suggestions for parking outside of NYC and taking mass transit or Amtrak into the city? I am also confused about how the metro system works. What would be the best metro pass for us to buy? Is one pass good for the subway, train and bus systems. I feel kind of like the Clampetts when they first arrived in Beverly Hills, lol! Any suggestions appreciated!

You can park at one of the offsite cheaper places at Newark airport and take the train into Manhattan. Once there the hotel concierge should be able to help you with local transportation

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OP, how much luggage & are you comfortable using mass/public transit to get to/from your hotel, on the East side of Manhattan ? Hotel to MCT would be an easy taxi, car service or Uber ride on a Saturday morning, traffic is generally light - about $15 with tips (or less)

It looks like you are either sailing NCL or CCL for 7 nights - on your return, the piers would be a little more busy with an extra Disney ship, just F.Y.I. and should not be a major issue - pack patience & allow a little extra time for disembarkation as CBP can sometimes be not adequately staffed ... will be then be going back to your parked vehicle & drive home ?

One option as suggested is to park outside NYC at one of the off-airport lot near/at EWR (daily rates is $10 to $15 on average, some have AAA and/or AARP discounts) and then you can do AirTrain to NJT to NY's Penn Station @ W. 33rd. Street, plus a short cross-town taxi ride or Uber ride to the hotel.

Another possibility is to park closer, across the Hudson River at the NY Waterway 5 story indoor/outdoor secured lot @ Port Imperial/Weehawken, NJ - take the ferry across with luggage, and, possibly use their free bus/shuttle route to get to/near your hotel

http://www.nywaterway.com/PortImperialWeehawkenTerminal.aspx

As for our "metro" system - it's run mainly by the MTA and fares are paid using the Metrocard @$2.75 per trip p/p - 1 free transfer between bus & subway within a time limit. Regional commuter train lines including LIRR and NJT are not related to Amtrak, each system have their own fare tables, off-peak & senior discounts, etc.

http://www.mta.info/

I always take the train into Manhattan- you couldn't pay me enough to drive in that city lol.

I agree with using your GPS to find Newark airport and it should be very easy to grab a train from there, plus you will know your car is safe in the parking lot. Easy to get back to as well. NYC is a grid and very very easy to navigate once in the city.

Here is a trip advisor link discussing this- there are a bunch of transport options including a Shuttle/coach to grand central where you can easily grab a cab. Your hotel is a straight shot from the cruise terminal- an easy taxi ride that you can grab outside your hotel.

I think the parking at Weehawken is a great option for you. You wouldn't even have to deal with EWR which imo is not easy to get around if you are not familiar.

If you can download the Uber app before leaving home and set it up you can call for an Uber to pick you up at the ferry on the Manhattan side if the ferry transfers don't work out.

Here is a link for info about the Metrocard which is used for busses and subways in NYC,

http://web.mta.info/metrocard/

You can buy a Metrocard in machines near subway entrances. I would suggest using the busses during your time here. They are pretty straightforward and in addition you can enjoy the view as you travel. Also yellow taxicabs are about all over and you can either pay your fare in cash or use a credit card. The drivers do appreciate at least a 15% tip.

I like the suggestion of mking8288 and Got2Cruise to park at Port Imperial in Weehawken and take the ferry across to 39th St. This strategy is simple and direct. One person can be dropped off with the luggage at the ferry terminal entrance while the other parks the car. Luggage can be easily rolled onto the ferry. On the other side a cab to the Wyndham is an option as well as the free shuttle bus to 42nd & 3rd during peak weekday hours.

The EWR parking might seem like a deal, but read the fine print. I don't think it includes the parking tax.

Here's the scenario for parking at EWR. Park the car, take some sort of parking shuttle to the P4 Airtrain station, take the Airtrain to Newark Airport station, take NJ Transit train to New York Penn Station for $13/pp each way, and exit up multiple levels to 8th Ave to get a cab to your hotel.

So you add $52 to whatever the 10 days of parking costs to get your total cost of parking at EWR. Depending on what route you take to NY, you might pay more turnpike toll to get to EWR.

• 2 weeks later...
My husband and I are cruising out of the Manhattan terminal October 7th. We plan to arrive October 3rd and are staying at the Wyndham Midtown Manhattan. We're coming early to do the touristy thing. We are driving from Missouri to see the sights along the way but we do not want to drive in NYC!!! We live in a town that has one flashing traffic light and no Wal-Mart, if that gives you an idea about our normal driving conditions!

What are some suggestions for parking outside of NYC and taking mass transit or Amtrak into the city? I am also confused about how the metro system works. What would be the best metro pass for us to buy? Is one pass good for the subway, train and bus systems. I feel kind of like the Clampetts when they first arrived in Beverly Hills, lol! Any suggestions appreciated!

Do you live in the Bootheel? Sounds like where I grew up! :D