Southampton information

lived in Southampton for over 30 years. if anyone needs free, independent info on transport, places to visit, things to do in the area or anything else I'd be happy to give you advice.

Thanks what is the cheapest way to get to London from South Hampton ? We will have two larger suitcases each, so that is also a factor. We are staying there for 3 nights before we fly back to Newfoundland.

Thank you in advance

Michele

Thanks what is the cheapest way to get to London from South Hampton ? We will have two larger suitcases each, so that is also a factor. We are staying there for 3 nights before we fly back to Newfoundland.

Thank you in advance

Michele

Hi Michele,

Not sure where in London you need to be. National Express bus run a regular service to London Victoria at a reasonable price.(20kg case + hand luggage pp) Train is quicker but more expensive although if you are flexible try Megabus site for train to London Waterloo for as little as £10. Coach and train stations are not far from all the cruise terminals. Hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...
lived in Southampton for over 30 years. if anyone needs free, independent info on transport, places to visit, things to do in the area or anything else I'd be happy to give you advice.

Hello, thank you for your kind offer. We are in port from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. (must be back by 6 p.m.) and I was hoping to to revisit the British Museum. Is that feasible? Would prefer a train, if possible. Thanks again!

It is possible but you may not have a great deal of time at the British Museum. (I visited it 3 weeks ago)

Don't know where you'll dock but as time is important get cab to Southampton Central Rail Station.(Short ride) To save time it might be a good idea to go to South West Trains web site and buy train tickets in advance: buy a return ticket that allows underground travel in London zones 1&2. It is easy to buy the ticket at the station, either at the ticket office or using machines. The London trains usually leave from platform 1.

Weekdays there are fast trains every half hour at 8.30, 9.00, 9.30 etc. The journey takes about 1hr 30mins and you arrive at London Waterloo station. Follow signs to Underground and take the Northern line (Black) to Tottenham Court Rd. From here the Museum is a short walk, right onto Theobalds Rd then left onto Bloomsbury Rd (Should see signposts to Museum). Underground trip should take less than 15mins then a 10min walk.

If you make the 8.30 you could be at the Museum by 10.30. So you could get over 4hr there.

Getting back; Northern line back to Waterloo. plenty of afternoon trains to Southampton. To be sure, the latest train I'd get back would be the 16.06 which gets in to Southampton at 17.22. There are earlier trains and the service is fairly reliable.

London trains usually get in on platform 4. Leave the station from this platform. There is a regular bus service that leaves from outside, that will take you to Town Quay, which might be useful, depending where your ship is docked otherwise it's a short cab ride.

Please check the train details on the South West Trains Web site before you go.

Hope that this helps and that you enjoy the BM!

It is possible but you may not have a great deal of time at the British Museum. (I visited it 3 weeks ago)

Don't know where you'll dock but as time is important get cab to Southampton Central Rail Station.(Short ride) To save time it might be a good idea to go to South West Trains web site and buy train tickets in advance: buy a return ticket that allows underground travel in London zones 1&2. It is easy to buy the ticket at the station, either at the ticket office or using machines. The London trains usually leave from platform 1.

Weekdays there are fast trains every half hour at 8.30, 9.00, 9.30 etc. The journey takes about 1hr 30mins and you arrive at London Waterloo station. Follow signs to Underground and take the Northern line (Black) to Tottenham Court Rd. From here the Museum is a short walk, right onto Theobalds Rd then left onto Bloomsbury Rd (Should see signposts to Museum). Underground trip should take less than 15mins then a 10min walk.

If you make the 8.30 you could be at the Museum by 10.30. So you could get over 4hr there.

Getting back; Northern line back to Waterloo. plenty of afternoon trains to Southampton. To be sure, the latest train I'd get back would be the 16.06 which gets in to Southampton at 17.22. There are earlier trains and the service is fairly reliable.

London trains usually get in on platform 4. Leave the station from this platform. There is a regular bus service that leaves from outside, that will take you to Town Quay, which might be useful, depending where your ship is docked otherwise it's a short cab ride.

Please check the train details on the South West Trains Web site before you go.

Hope that this helps and that you enjoy the BM!

Thanks for such a detailed answer! Sounds very doable and it's not far to our next port if the unthinkable happens. We did a similar train trip to Rome with no problems and London is so worth it.

We will be coming to Southampton to sail on Ventura on P&O. As we are driving the morning of departure we'll probably be there well before our boarding time to account for any issues. We have a 2 year old who (after 3 hours in the car) will need somewhere to let off steam. Chances are the weather in Nov will be grim so can you suggest any indoor children's activities for us to do for a few hours please.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not a local, but I know that branches of IKEA are very popular with young families. My grandsons love them, and they are very relaxed about kids. A two year old would get a good stretch wandering around the showroom, sitting in the demonstration rooms and you could even book him/her into the play area to play in the ball pen- not sure what the age restrictions are, but will be on their website. Very child friendly restaurant where you can all get a snack and only a couple of minutes to any of the cruise terminals. And warm and dry!

Maybe worth considering if nothing better comes up.

• 5 months later...

Such a generous offer! thank you!

Staying in Westminster section of London for one overnight (Doubletree) after flying across the pond then need to make our way to Southampton for one overnight (staying at Holiday Inn Express) before embarking on Celebrity's Eclipse. There will be 2 adults (1 senior) and one 15 year old. Each with a 25" checked bag plus a carryon and a personal item (so lots of stuff). What transport would you recommend from Westminster area to Southampton, knowing convenience is as much of a factor as cost.

Hi,

I see that your hotel is fairly near Waterloo railway station. I would suggest either a cab or the underground to Waterloo. There is a regular service from Waterloo to Southampton Central; take care to get a faster train that doesn't stop everywhere (trip takes about 1hr 15mins). Book in advance via South West Trains web site for better deals or look on Megabus site for very inexpensive but more limited trains. You can buy tickets at Waterloo on the day but you pay considerably more.

Train arrives at Southampton usually on platform 4. Be careful to exit at Platform 4 (the station has 2 exits, do not leave from platform 1) The Taxi to the port is a short trip and there are usually plenty of taxis outside the station entrance on cruise days. There are many different cruise terminals, make sure that you know which one you need to go to. The cab driver will probably know where the Eclipse is berthed but probably safer to know which terminal.

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/

This site is useful if you don't know which terminal.

Hope that this is of some help.

Enjoy your cruise.

Such a kind offer. DH and I will be arriving May 20th in the afternoon to Gatwick airport from across the pond. We depart Southampton on May 22nd for our cruise. I think I would like to head into Southampton that Saturday, get a hotel for the 2 nights near the Port and explore Stonehenge and Salisbury unless you have a better option for us. We will have time for London on our return from the cruise.

My question for you is.

1. What's the best way for us to get to Southampton; with 1 checked bag and a small bag that fits over the suitcase handle, plus a purse or computer bag each? Cost is less a factor vs ease and comfort of travel.

2. Is there a hotel you would recommend with easy access to both cruise port and a visit to the areas listed above? Price about £ 125 GBP. The price of accommodations is subjective if it's easier/cheaper access to locations.

3. What is the best way to travel from said recommended hotel to both Stonehenge and Salisbury?

Thank you in advance for your assistance

Hi. Happy to advise although I have no experience of Southampton Hotels so my answer to Q2 is not a personal recommendation.

1. Two possibilities

a. There is a regular National Express Coach Service from Gatwick (Both Terminals) to Southampton. It's worth booking your coach in advance at http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx It takes about 2hrs 30mins and the coach arrives near the centre of Southampton with a very short cab ride to any central hotel.

b. There is a rail station at Gatwick South Terminal. Even if you land at North Terminal there is a frequent, quick (2mins) and free shuttle to and from the South terminal. The train station is easily accessed from the airport. Industrial action allowing, there are direct trains to Southampton Central that take about 2hrs. Again it's worth booking in advance at https://www.gwr.com/ .Southampton Central is a very short cab ride to any central hotel.

2. We often use Travelodge http://www.travelodge.co.uk/ or Premier Inn http://www.premierinn.com/ Both these chains have hotels in central Southampton. They are fairly basic but we have very rarely been disappointed.

3 Salisbury is easy and well worth a trip. Again there is a regular train service from Southampton Central to Salisbury. Stonehenge not too easy. I believe that there is a tour bus from the Salisbury rail station see http://www.thestonehengetour.info/timetable but I have never used it. I find Stonehenge somewhat underwhelming .You aren't allowed in the circle and the free view that you get from the road passing it, is just as good as paying. However, if it is a must see you might consider looking at a bus Tour that takes in Salisbury, Stonehenge and Bath ( a great place to visit for the day). By the way, central Southampton has a few hidden gems like The 16th Century Tudor House Museum, Bugle St , The Merchants House, French St. and St Michaels church, St Michael's St. These might interest you.

Hope this is of some help and that you have a great trip.

• 3 months later...

Can't stand the idea of handing our car and keys over to the 'official' Cunard parking system.

We usually drive down the day before and stay overnight at the Holiday Inn with an on site parking package. Includes breakfast and a taxi to and from the hotel to the cruise terminal. Went very smoothly each time, and we were able to lock up and leave the car in their car park.

• 2 months later...

Just wondering if you could advise me on where a bank is near the Holiday Inn on Herbert Walker Avenue. We are thinking about using the ATM in Southampton to get pounds instead of getting them at home.

Thanks for your help

There are, I think, several banks and ATMs a short walk away from your hotel on the High Street. Go out of the hotel and walk towards Town Quay. Pass Bugle street on the left and then turn left onto High Street opposite Red Funnel and Town Quay. I think that there may be a Co-op ATM(by or in the food store) pretty soon on the left but failing that if you continue up the High street about 500m there is a RBS bank on the left and then a TSB bank on the right. Also a bit further on the corner of East street and High Street there is a Nat. West bank.

There may be other ATM's nearer so it might be useful to ask at the Hotel.

Hope that this helps. Have a good trip.