Excel spreadsheet for packing?

mehitabel

Here's a sample of how I plan; this list was for a trip we took this past February to Portugal for 11 days. Every day's outfits are planned out based on the day's activities, with a separate list of each item to pack in the first column. The colour scheme for this trip was greys, blues and turquoises. I colour coded the items to wear on the plane (light blue), and the pieces to pack in my carry-on (pink) vs checked bags. Hubby's packing (dark blue) is simpler, but I still make a quick list to be sure we don't forget anything! Everything gets crossed off as I pack it.

We packed all this in a 24" checked suitcase, a 20" carry-on sized bag (that we checked) and two weekender carry-on bags. We were renting a fairly small car, and our travel companions are demonstrated over-packers, so we knew we had to make room for their huge bags (even though we asked them to try to pack light!) :D

Portugal.pdf

Edited by lizp
spelling!

• 1 month later...

Hi

In our place the following ritual is enacted for a cruise 14 days or over from our home port:-

My wife approximately a month or two prior to cruise will start to sort through her clothes to select what she will take with her, then over the following weeks will go through deselecting/reselecting what should /shouldn’t be included.

This will culminate with a final round as she packs her bags a day or two before the cruise.

Everything is neatly packed and arranged.

While all this is happening I am getting subtle and not so subtle nudges to get organised.

“Yes dear yes I’ll do it, I’ll do it.”

The night before the cruise, I drop a bag on the bed, walk to the dresser grab 14 pairs underpants, 14 casual socks, 14 hankies, dump them in the bag. Grab an assortment of 14 sports shirts/short sleeve shirts, roll them up and drop in bag, grab 5 long sleeved casual shirts, roll and toss. 5 dinner suitable shirts “fold and pat down”, 7 pair shorts, drop in bag, 3 pairs casual slacks, fold and lay in bag, 1 pair each of gym, walking, casual, and formal shoes, pack socks into shoes and store where ever they fit. Select 1 jacket and 1 jumper (pullover to you yanks), seven sets of gym wear including socks.

Squeeze bag shut.

Grab suit bag, load with formal suit and two formal shirts, cufflinks, bowtie.

Zip up, two down 1 to go.

Grab rucksack, slide tablet in, all the cords and attachments that go with it, all the electrical paraphernalia we take with us, medicines we need on the trip, all required docs we will need, misc bits and pieces. Zip up done.

All complete ready to go 10 to 15 minutes max. Look at wife with smug look, she just looks at me and slowly shakes head from side to side.

Still maintaining my smug look, sit down and wonder what she noticed I missed.

I usually figure it out on the second day of cruise, it’s about this time my wife will give me one of those knowing looks only a wife can give…..

However

When it comes to flying somewhere, there is a whole new story!

I am very methodical because we have weight considerations, so then I developed our Excel packing list.

I need to know how much we can take, so I went through all our clothes and weighed each item, average each similar item, raised it to the next 10 grams, entered it into the spreadsheet. Then just added how many of each item we wanted to take. And the spreadsheet does the rest.

The only wrinkle that needed tweaking was, what was allowed by individual airlines in bags and weight.

You would need to adjust my sheet to suit your carrier, mine only covers Etihad and Qantas Airlines.

Also because I was a bit conservative in the weights, it has a built in margin for all those items you throw in at the last minute.

Actually I was quite chuffed, at the end of the day, when we threw in those last minute items, our bags weighed in very close to excel results.

One of the benefits besides the working out the weights, is it gave us a list of contents if the bags went missing.

See link below to my Packing List at Google Sheets, you can read, comment, or download to your computer to play with.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CL3IYj3c5uEl4w_4sVDIyCuOHIbjkdlx05Wl6eHCzVE/edit?usp=sharing

Regards

One of the benefits besides the working out the weights, is it gave us a list of contents if the bags went missing.

See link below to my Packing List at Google Sheets, you can read, comment, or download to your computer to play with.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CL3IYj3c5uEl4w_4sVDIyCuOHIbjkdlx05Wl6eHCzVE/edit?usp=sharing

Regards

OMG, I love this! Why didn't i think of this before?

Thank you!

• 4 months later...
I'm totally OCD about planning. So this is the template I usually use when packing for a trip. We are going to Mexico in about 40 days, so I've just started getting the list together. As you can see, I'm very specific but the DH is not. He just throws stuff in a bag. LOL

What a wonderful list! Thank you for sharing

• 11 months later...

This thread has made me realize that I am not as OCD as I thought and that actually I am lacking on my planning skills. I love the idea of making my packing list as a spreadsheet and planning each days outfit and so upset that I did not think of this before. 

My family and friends have always made fun of me for my packing list. I cannot wait to hear what they have to say when they see my new excel packing list. hahahaha

I was just telling my DH and DD about it and they both just told me "You have issues." My cruise is not until June, but I came on here searching for packing list ideas and I am already ready to start making mine. Of course as it gets closer I will have to update it when I get a better idea of what the weather will be like. 

Thank you CC for helping me realize I am not alone. 

Hi Guys

I put up a link to my Packing List for flying, some time ago. But just did a flight using Qantas Premium Economy and discovered a hiccup in the Premium Economy, and the first class part for Qantas. Etihad is OK no change, just Qantas part of spreadsheet.

So below is a new link for the corrected spread sheet for those interested. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1aqEF7bV6smJ7kQ9sbmKGbwIPiZ6TYijYJTuOzk1teEM/edit?usp=sharing

Note: the spreadsheet could be modified for a general packing list, or for any airline.

The problem was the max weight you can carry in your bags, for Qantas it's max weight not bags that counts.

Any questions give us a reply and I will come back to you.

The spreadsheet can be viewed on line, and can be downloaded using the "File" drop down and clicking download, and then you can play with it, to your hearts content.

Regards

Ozwoody