Petra Jordan

My granddaughter and I just got back from a week in Jordan (and a week in Syria). We did Petra with a private guide.. Instead of walking back from the restaurant at the end, he had arranged to have mules meet us and we rode out the back way where our driver met us with the car. (30 $JD for all 3 of us). This was the 3rd time for me in Petra and I saw some things I had not seen before as we went all the way through the site instead of just around the theatre. My husband has artificial hips and the last time he was there it was a difficult walk doing it by all walking both ways. The hints about using the available carts, camels or mules are all good options...just don't miss Petra.

We are going to Petra next year ...it is our hopes to be able to walk the walk :eek:...both ways.....in the event that we have to hitch a ride by Chariot or Camel :D.....what form of currency should we have with us to cover this eventuality.

Any idea of the costs for a "One way" ride ? :confused:

Cheers

Ken & Jan

Hi Ken and Jan: I was there in Jan, 2009 and at that time the chariot was a round trip only, although I am certain that if they have an empty chariot or an empty time slot, they will take you one way! I really don't remember what the round trip chariot ride was for two people because our tour guide made all the arrangements for us. The camel from the restaurant was about $15 US and like everything else, the price was negotiable. the Bedouins were very friendly and very kind to us and have a marvelous sense of humor. I may be foolish, but I determine what I think is a fair price and if they come close to it, I pay it. This is the primary source of income for these people and I don't like to take advantage of that, but that's just me. I know others who have gotten these rides for much less and some who paid double what I did.:D However, you make it through the Siq and the rest of Petra, do it. It's unforgettable.

My granddaughter and I just got back from a week in Jordan (and a week in Syria). We did Petra with a private guide.. Instead of walking back from the restaurant at the end, he had arranged to have mules meet us and we rode out the back way where our driver met us with the car. (30 $JD for all 3 of us). This was the 3rd time for me in Petra and I saw some things I had not seen before as we went all the way through the site instead of just around the theatre. My husband has artificial hips and the last time he was there it was a difficult walk doing it by all walking both ways. The hints about using the available carts, camels or mules are all good options...just don't miss Petra.

Grothj ....This is great information. Can I ask how you arranged for the private guide. Did you do it through the Internet or from other sources...

I would appreciate knowing how you made contact with your private guide. If you don't mind sharing this information with me I can be reached at kjway303 at yahoo dot com

I fall into the same category as your husband with a full replacement right hip and a partial left knee and after walking for awhile and prolonged standing my joints start talking back to me in no uncertain terms.:eek:

Ken

Hi Ken and Jan: I was there in Jan, 2009 and at that time the chariot was a round trip only, although I am certain that if they have an empty chariot or an empty time slot, they will take you one way! I really don't remember what the round trip chariot ride was for two people because our tour guide made all the arrangements for us. The camel from the restaurant was about $15 US and like everything else, the price was negotiable. the Bedouins were very friendly and very kind to us and have a marvelous sense of humor. I may be foolish, but I determine what I think is a fair price and if they come close to it, I pay it. This is the primary source of income for these people and I don't like to take advantage of that, but that's just me. I know others who have gotten these rides for much less and some who paid double what I did.:D However, you make it through the Siq and the rest of Petra, do it. It's unforgettable.

Hi Hydrokitty ....this is great information and I hear what you're saying about the final bottom line....

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond to my question.:)

Cheers

Ken

Thank you all for the pre-info that we need for our trip next year. Ken, I appoint you as the tour administrator. When you find the particulars I know you'll post them on our roll call. You can definitely count us in for this private tour.

• 6 years later...
Can someone tell me just how strenuous an excursion to Petra would be??

Let me qualify my reply: I'm 68 and not a big hiking "fan." Sometimes my idea of a long walk is from the parking lot to my office.

We've been to Petra twice. The walk from the Main Gate to the end of the Siq is about 0.8 mile; it is slightly downhill going in. For the most part this walk is a stone paved trail and is an easy walk (going in). At the end of your visit it may be another story--more on this in a moment. This photo is representative of the Siq. A

Once you've arrived at the Treasury A the route varies from rocky gravel to stone pavers (don't think "smooth" in 21st century terms). The distance from the Treasury to the "last stop" before climbing the 800 steps to the Monastery is about 1.5 miles (3 km). I may be off, but at a leisurely pace it is no big deal.

Betty has a bad knee so we did not climb the 800 stairs and I doubt if this excursion would have enough time to do this. We had our arm twisted by a local to ride a donkey (poor animal) A back to the Treasury with a side route to sights up on the higher elevations. I think it cost about $15. A

Once back at the Treasury, you can walk out (0.8 mile slightly uphill), take a buggy A or walk the Siq and then finish up on a horse (yippy kai yay), which is what we did. A The horse ride was included in our ticket, but the guide/"horse-minder" expects a tip (at least $5pp).

I hope this helps. Remember, my opinion costs nothing and is probably worth it!

• 2 months later...

I was very concerned about making it to Petra when I went last January. I booked the ship's tour but when we got there abandoned any attempt to keep up with the guided group, walked at my own pace using two walking poles and sturdy walking shoes and made it walking both ways (despite dodgy knees and hip). In many ways I feel I had a better experience as on the way back, I was often alone in the Siq and so ale to experience the unique atmosphere. At that time it was $20 for a carriage ride back.

We are going to Petra next year ...it is our hopes to be able to walk the walk :eek:...both ways.....in the event that we have to hitch a ride by Chariot or Camel :D.....what form of currency should we have with us to cover this eventuality.

Any idea of the costs for a "One way" ride ? :confused:

Cheers

Ken & Jan

$20 was the going rate in January for a carriage. Camels were only available round the Petra site.

• 1 month later...