San Diego things to do

Looking for things to do we are in port from 7-5pm. We love to be active walking around exploring not in groups. How is the zoo? Could we walk or uber there ? Any other ideas for things to explore walking or taking transportation somewhere ? Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

If you are interested in ships or WWII the midway is an amazing floating museum. Walking distance fromcruise terminal. Highly recommended! The San Diego zoo would require a taxi,but best zoo in USA.

Looking for things to do we are in port from 7-5pm. We love to be active walking around exploring not in groups. How is the zoo? Could we walk or uber there ? Any other ideas for things to explore walking or taking transportation somewhere ? Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The San Diego Zoo is considered one of the best of the world. The park it is in (Balboa Park) has about 15 museums that just about anyone can find something in one of them to amuse themselves.

http://www.balboapark.org/in-the-park/Museums

I'd also consider taking the ferry across the bay to Coronado and walking around there.

Were were in San Diego for a few days before our cruise. We 2 things while in town we went to the zoo. The zoo is worth the visit lots of animals to look at and great for the kids plus there is also a bus tour if you need that much needed rest. We also did the tour of the USS Midway our 5 year old son just loved it. I have to admit it was a lot better than i would imagine and worth the trip as you do get to see a lot of the ship

• 3 weeks later...

when going through Midway I assume there is a tremendous amount of walking but also wondering if it is very tight space for passage like submarine tours?? we have 1 going with us that doesn't do well in claustrophobic situations and one that is slightly large......are the stairwells regular size or small and built like subs? thanks for any input on this

when going through Midway I assume there is a tremendous amount of walking but also wondering if it is very tight space for passage like submarine tours?? we have 1 going with us that doesn't do well in claustrophobic situations and one that is slightly large......are the stairwells regular size or small and built like subs? thanks for any input on this

It is a very large ship and while certain areas might have narrower passageways none should be a problem and they could be avoided by alternate routes. Both the flight and lower decks are massive. Not like a sub in any way.

• 3 weeks later...

Just did this tour last Saturday. The Island (part of the ship above the flight deck) is pretty tight, I'm 5'9 240-250ish and could manage everything pretty easily but someone bigger or claustrophobic probably wouldn't like it very much. Still though there is plenty to see without going there or below deck.

Thanks those both sound great. Maybe we will do the zoo first (is there uber?) and then the museum so we are back closer to the ship at the end of the day

Uber and lyft are both well represented in San Diego as are taxi cabs and mass transit. There are even rickshaws in the port area. Even better there is a transportation hub just a couple of blocks away from the terminal with bus service directly to the zoo. You can also catch the trolley or even Amtrak there if you wanted to go further away.

If you like city and ocean views on a sunny day then I would suggest the Cabrillo National Monument, Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery and the Lighthouse. This is one of the highest peaks in San Diego. This is a good walk with beautiful city views and maybe see jets taking off from North Island. My Mon and Dad are honored there:')

And there is also Belmont Park. This is an amusement park on the beach (pacific ocean). There is also a boardwalk to cruise on(skates&bikes). And not to far from Cabrillo.

As another poster mentioned, Uber is great here.:D

If it is cloudy with a marine layer:(, I wouldn't suggest this then. Probable will clear up around noon. Go to the Zoo and Balboa Park.

• 4 months later...

I think the kids might like a Seal Tour. https://www.sealtours.com/

This is fun. My husband and I did this on one of our many trips to San Diego. Seaport Village is where it is located and we walk from the cruise port to USS Midway, down to Seaport and go thru all the shops there along the marina and grab a bite to eat there too.

As for the Midway, I have trouble climbing stairs due to MD and I found it difficult for me to go into some of those stairways. It was interesting and I got to see a lot but not sure I would do it again. If you have ever been on a guided tour on a cruiseship behind the scenes, it is similar to that on stairways.

• 3 weeks later...

we went on the bay tour. the boats are only feet away from where you dock. get to see the navy yard and other sites. we took the two hour double tour, prepaid on line. Big boat lots of room.

Then went to seaport village for lunch, then the shops there.