Are “Salad Days@ just ahead?

Playtennis

Are “Salad Days” just ahead?

We have just booked our first Viking Ocean Cruise. While browsing the boards we saw a comment about the “sparse salad selections”.

DW and I daily create salad that included a wide variety of ingredients and have very much enjoyed creating similar fare on O.

Could those veterans of V cruises comment on the salad bars? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you look through the photos that accompany Cruise Critic's review of Viking Star, you'll see a few of the salad bar. It 's not what I'd call extensive--a bowl of mesclun greens and another of romaine (or bibb? I forget but thankfully not iceberg!) and fixings. You'll find the standard cukes, tomatoes, crutons, olives, peppers, etc. I love salad and usually just have a substantial one for lunch instead of hot foods and I've never not been able to make a good one on Viking. The food is very fresh. What do you put in your salads on other ships?

A server "makes" the salad as you point to things to put on it. I was able to order a dinner salad with my meal in the main dining room when one was not offered. Things change on Viking in response to passengers' requests so there maybe more extensive salad offerings in the days ahead!

A server "makes" the salad as you point to things to put on it. I was able to order a dinner salad with my meal in the main dining room when one was not offered. Things change on Viking in response to passengers' requests so there maybe more extensive salad offerings in the days ahead!

Though I only have 1 Viking river cruise under my belt, just from reading reviews of Viking Ocean trips, I can see that those articles are outdated. It has been both my experience (on the river cruise) and my observation (from reading) that Viking is very responsive and is constantly changing things on their ships.

We have an ocean cruise booked which I’m so looking forward to even though many of the ports we are to visit got hit hard by the hurricanes, and a second river cruise. I think if you want anything within reason that’s not offered, just ask and I suspect you will soon have it. Just seems to be the way they work.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You can get mostly whatever you want on your salad, mozzarella balls, any type of vegetable or mushrooms, grilled shrimp, salmon, steak. And if you don't see it, ask, if they can get it then they will.

Thank you Fp for saying this because I think a lot of people forget it: the cruise lines (all of them) want you to enjoy yourself and have what you want (within reason, of course). Instead of complaining (it wasn't hot, seasoned, etc.) just ask. They will get it for you if possible, even sometimes when you just mention something in passing the staff will try to find what you want. You just have to ask.