latest update for ships sailing in Carribbean in 2017

Azulann

Contact Viking directly, the fact that the airports are being used to get people off the island may affect your travel plans after the cruise

Thanks Fpacifico, we have already called our Viking Oceans booking agent early in the week. She checked while we were on the phone and said pretty much what we expected: 1)Viking would be flexible on re-booking us on a different ocean (or river cruise) with no penalty or, 2) hang in there a while longer so a very fluid situation in the islands can settle out and Viking can make their decision(s) as what they can and can't do for port calls and final destination.

We then contacted Delta about possibly changing flight plans due to Maria's affect on flights from San Juan. They said we could change our reservations at any time up to the day of our October 27th return flight. They are also waiving any flight change fees for San Juan flights until the end of November.

For the time being, we are sitting tight on our original cruise reservations and flight plans, but will be considering changes within the next 12 days if Viking has to re-route the Sea or we don't have a firm idea of what the revisions are. Having traveled with Viking on both ocean and river cruises, we are betting that they will come through in time for us to make any changes (if necessary.)

We are booked on the March 17th 2018 sailing from San Juan, so we are sitting tight. We booked our own flights on Delta and have gotten an email stating they are waiving change fees. The email didn’t state how long that would be good for.

I’m reading that San

Juan says they will be ready to welcome ships and tourists in a month or so. Not sure how but there is another port and terminal in San Juan. March will give them a few more months so I’m somewhat optimistic. The hotel - El Convento - where we have our precruise reservations has tweeted that they had little damage and plan to open in a month.

As for the rest, I’m good with a mystery cruise [emoji16]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

FYI,

I received an email from ************* with the list of the islands that have all of their resorts closed due to hurricane damage.

"Hurricane Maria followed in the wake of Hurricane Irma, which tore through the Caribbean a few weeks ago. Due to the storms, the following islands suffered severe damage and resorts were forced to close. To view a list of the properties we offer that are known to be closed currently, click any link below. This list will be updated as additional properties report their status.

Anguilla

Peter Island, BVI

Puerto Rico

St. Barts

St. Croix, USVI

St. John, USVI

St. Maarten

St. Martin

St. Thomas, USVI

Tortola, BVI

Turks & Caicos

Virgin Gorda, BVI

Our hearts and prayers go out to everyone who has been affected by these deadly storms."

So sorry...

The links won’t work because CC has put ***** in the web address/links [emoji45]

:(That happens automatically when we try to share a link from a website that contravenes the CC guidelines or has otherwise been deemed untrustworthy. Links to travel agent or travel sales websites, some image-sharing websites, other cruise discussion websites are among the things that are disabled by the powers that be.

I’m reading that San

Juan says they will be ready to welcome ships and tourists in a month or so. Not sure how but there is another port and terminal in San Juan. March will give them a few more months so I’m somewhat optimistic. The hotel - El Convento - where we have our precruise reservations has tweeted that they had little damage and plan to open in a month.

There is the main cruise port which accommodates several large cruise ships on the shore adjacent to the Old City from which you can actually walk to the forts, etc. if so inclined. Then, there is another cruise port across the harbor, I think nearer the airport and some of the shipping areas. I sailed from that one on RCCL's Adventure of the Seas ten years ago. I'm not sure which one was used when AOS was in San Juan delivering supplies and boarding evacuees this past week, but I think it was not the one in the Old City.

Sam Juan:

Pan American port has 2 terminals & is where AOS & Celebrity Summit board & disembark people & it adjoins the older small plane airport, not the main airport. The terminal at Old San Juan is used by Carnival to board & disembark people. There are 4 piers at Old SJ which all cruise lines use for a day stop at SJ.

I would guess that AOS used their normal location when it came to deliver supplies & get people. Carnival cruise line has reported that their terminal needs repairs & closed for a while.

:(That happens automatically when we try to share a link from a website that contravenes the CC guidelines or has otherwise been deemed untrustworthy. Links to travel agent or travel sales websites, some image-sharing websites, other cruise discussion websites are among the things that are disabled by the powers that be.

************* is a legit site :( (yeah right, here we go again)

Sorry guys, I could go one by one and put the links up but if CC will delete or change them then what the point.

I wonder how they make a decision if the links have useful info or not :confused:

Sorry guys, I could go one by one and put the links up but if CC will delete or change them then what the point.

I wonder how they make a decision if the links have useful info or not :confused:

The way to post sites is: www dot whatever at something dot com

We are on the Viking Sea departing San Juan on November 6. We have only received the form letter from them at this point and wondering what the resolution people are getting when they call Viking directly.

We are on the same cruise November 6th but haven't heard anything about changes to flights or itinerary. Please post here if you do and I will do the same.

Angelpet

Yes, it is a legit site so that means that it cannot be mentioned in these forums because it engages in some activity that is not permitted on this forum, for example, because it is a travel agency. It has nothing to do if the information is useful or not; anything from a blocked website is blocked solely because of its source, not the actual content. The filter looks at what we type (and nothing more) and if we type a word that is on the list, that string of letters gets the star treatment.

Even if you do as shoalwater suggests and add spaces and use the word dot instead of the punctuation mark, you will still have trouble because what is being blocked by the filters is the name of the resort that is supplying the information.

We are booked on the March 17th 2018 sailing from San Juan, so we are sitting tight. We booked our own flights on Delta and have gotten an email stating they are waiving change fees. The email didn’t state how long that would be good for.

I’m reading that San

Our cruise is leaving San Juan on February 5, we have precruise overnight reservations at the Sheraton old San Juan which is across the street from the pier. Hopefully everything will be up and running by then. Tourism is very important to the Caribbean economy so I'm sure that they will do their best to open up the docks for cruise ships. We may be limited to tourist sites as a result of the damage though. But the dollars are important to the people so I'll spend a little extra in Puerto Rico.

That is for email addresses. We do it to make it hard for the spam bots to pick our our email addresses. There is no privacy need to do it with websites.

Sometimes it boggles my mind how this forum works. It’s like many features dating back to the dialup modem days are still here. Protocols established in things like the old USENET. Not only does it bleep out (cover with asterisks) things like web sites but also blacklisted words. Some should indeed be black listed I agree but when discussing excursions in Germany, using the word associated with the party set up by Hitler, should not be indiscriminately blacklisted. Re web links, I think that if you paste in a web address it gets “the treatment” but if you use the “insert link” tool it doesn’t. On my iPad it’s the [/] bottom right. In fact to test out my supposition, let me try it out (http://www.viking.com. Chose URL and added the full address of Viking’s web site in between the URLs in brackets. And yes, there used to be something more obvious. But this method albeit tedious works.

Oh and yes as Peregrina says, if it’s a blocked site, it may still get whacked. But maybe not.

Edited by CharTrav

Sometimes it boggles my mind how this forum works. It’s like many features dating back to the dialup modem days are still here. Protocols established in things like the old USENET. Not only does it bleep out (cover with asterisks) things like web sites but also blacklisted words. Some should indeed be black listed I agree but when discussing excursions in Germany, using the word associated with the party set up by Hitler, should not be indiscriminately blacklisted. Re web links, I think that if you paste in a web address it gets “the treatment” but if you use the “insert link” tool it doesn’t. On my iPad it’s the [/] bottom right. In fact to test out my supposition, let me try it out (http://www.viking.com. Chose URL and added the full address of Viking’s web site in between the URLs in brackets. And yes, there used to be something more obvious. But this method albeit tedious works.

Oh and yes as Peregrina says, if it’s a blocked site, it may still get whacked. But maybe not.

CharTrav, I've always wondered if those blacklisted words are still here just to (try to) keep things civil. Nothing takes the zing out of a good epithet like a string of ************. I think the treatment is done on all text and has nothing with the method used to put it on the page. If the name of a known travel agency or other competitor appears on the page (as a word or as part of a URL), it will be bleeped. Even if you use createlink.gifto insert a URL, if it is blacklisted, the link won't work. Personally, I think that CC blocks travel agencies and competitive sites simply because they do not wish to be a free advertising outlet for the competition, and for that, I don't blame them.

CharTrav, I've always wondered if those blacklisted words are still here just to (try to) keep things civil. Nothing takes the zing out of a good epithet like a string of ************. I think the treatment is done on all text and has nothing with the method used to put it on the page. If the name of a known travel agency or other competitor appears on the page (as a word or as part of a URL), it will be bleeped. Even if you use createlink.gifto insert a URL, if it is blacklisted, the link won't work. Personally, I think that CC blocks travel agencies and competitive sites simply because they do not wish to be a free advertising outlet for the competition, and for that, I don't blame them.

Re blacklisted words - agree about the intent. To keep things civil. What they need is something that reacts to not just the text itself but the context for that text.

Re blacklisted web sites - I agree (as I said) - CruiseCritic has a right to protect itself from being used in ways it doesn't want.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks CharTrav. I saw this as well and thought that The update on San Juan for this season isn’t too positive in their opinion.....it is really difficult to get a clear picture of the status in San Juan with so many different perspectives being reported on the actuality of the situation. It’s hard to know.

Homeporting in San Juan resumed today with Royal Caribbean's Adventure of the Seas. The ship boarded passengers and was due to depart this evening for St. Kitts. Luis Marin Airport in San Juan is fully operational for both domestic and international flights. Hotels continue to open. Current information related to tourism can be accessed at puertoriconow.seepuertorico.com There is a live chat available 24/7 for specific questions.

Edited by offtoalaska