Hotel in Hoi An?

barante

I just booked a 15-day HAL Westerdam cruise from Singapore to Thailand (overnight Laem Chabang) and Da Nang. We will arrive at 2 p.m. in Da Nang and depart at 3 p.m. the following day. That rules out Hue in my mind. Which is fine. I once went to Hoi An, found it romantic and want to return there.

So where should I stay? Preferably overlooking the river?

We stayed at Hoi An last year on our land trip (Hue as well). While our B&B was perfect it was about 1/3 mile from the waterfront.

I don't think that you need to be on the river but if we were doing it again we would stay a little closer in. It is certainly beautiful at night.

Last Feb we paid the equiv. of $22 or the B&B. Good sized room, ensuite, reasonable breakfast, pleasant host. We booked it direct after reading the tripadvisor reviews. We had the impression that it was a little closer to town. Don't get me wrong, it was very nice. We would have preferred to be a little closer.

Still think about those elderly ladies who were giving row boat rides on the river. They were amazing. Our whole trip through Vietnam was amazing. Had a great hotel in Hue as well.

Edited by iancal

We stayed at Hoi An last year on our land trip (Hue as well). While our B&B was perfect it was about 1/3 mile from the waterfront.

I don't think that you need to be on the river but if we were doing it again we would stay a little closer in. It is certainly beautiful at night.

Last Feb we paid the equiv. of $22 or the B&B. Good sized room, ensuite, reasonable breakfast, pleasant host. We booked it direct after reading the tripadvisor reviews. We had the impression that it was a little closer to town. Don't get me wrong, it was very nice. We would have preferred to be a little closer.

Still think about those elderly ladies who were giving row boat rides on the river. They were amazing. Our whole trip through Vietnam was amazing. Had a great hotel in Hue as well.

What was the name of your land tour of Vietnam, or did you travel independently? My daughter tripped around SEAsia independently and Vietnam was her favourite country. Anything over $20 per night for a room was too expensive.

We did an independent tour for 30 days. Went in by land from Cambodia to Phu Quok Island and worked out way up to Hanoi, then flew back to Bangkok, and then home. Air, bus, ferry, train, the lot.

My spouse was somewhat apprehensive even though we had spent the three previous winters in Thailand. Now, it was one of her favourites and she wants to go back. We enjoy cruising however Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand are best toured by land. It really is a snap to travel independently in these countries. We did do an overnight home stay/tour in the Mekong Delta. We are both in our mid sixties. We do a fair amount of research and have a general idea of where we want to go/what we want to see prior to leaving home. Lots of Russian and Chinese tourists in certain areas. We are returning to S/E Asia again this winter. We are planning for Thailand and a month in the Philippines. Independent travel.

We did meet some folks in Hue who were on a Gate1 tour. We have never been on one, or any other for that matter, so I asked them about. Their response was extremely positive. We like to bump along at our own speed, staying longer is places that we like. I think the most we paid was 35-40 for hotels in Saigon and Hanoi. Arranging day tours was very easy and very inexpensive. In Dalat, for example, we had a van, driver, and tour guide for a day. I think the cost was around $40. Same in Cambodia and in Hue when did a private countryside tour that our hotel arranged for us.

Edited by iancal

We stayed at the Essence for 4 nights last year. I struggled whether this was the best choice as it is a bit out of town. In retrospect I have absolutely no regrets. Wonderful service...some of the best we had on our land SE Asia trip. And, this was our only 4* hotel, the rest were 5*'s.

They run a shuttle to town, but taxis are only a few dollars. I kept looking at the Sofital, but couldn't justify the price difference. We had a nice room overlooking a rice field and I loved watching the women work the field. The Restaurant had a nice buffet breakfast and we enjoyed another dinner there. Setting and common rooms were lovely. I believe we had a suite of some sort... laundry was included and was it was nice to have clean clothes for our remaining trip.

The hotel arranged a day trip to Hue. It was a nice day...despite an all day rain.

I should note that when I looked hotels, those without fitness centers were immediately eliminated....so my choices were more limited than most travelers.

Edited by buggins0402

• 3 weeks later...
If you are going to stay in Hoi An within the next few months, you might want to check on the status of your hotel.

The recent hurricane has caused some significant flooding in Hoi An and Hue.

Thank you. Our TV news is showing extensive flooding in Hoi An.