Celebrity Cruises to Modernize All Cabins and Suites Across Fleet and Add New Sundeck

LauraS

It will be interesting to see where they place the new areas. The suite area would almost have to take over the existing Solstice deck. I can’t imagine they would get rid of the lawn, but it is a lot of under utilized real estate.

I think it's time for the Lawn space to be repurposed. Every cruise I have been on it not used for anything excep a random wedding. We like the Solstice deck for 3-4 hours of sun, but I have a feeling that this space will go to Suite class which is unfortunate.

I think it's time for the Lawn space to be repurposed. Every cruise I have been on it not used for anything excep a random wedding. We like the Solstice deck for 3-4 hours of sun, but I have a feeling that this space will go to Suite class which is unfortunate.

They might also remove the Corning glass show and repurpose as The Lawn Grill.

I like that Celebrity has committed to a refresh & updating of the ships. I wish I had more confidence that they actually know what they are doing.

One of the things I prefer about the M vs. S-class is that there is more usable storage on M. From these artists' renditions, it looks like a lot of that storage is going away. Elegant, maybe. But not terribly functional. For example, a nice lamp table between the bed and couch. Why not instead a bedside table with drawers like on the other side of the bed? Open book shelves above the desk? Like that makes sense in rough waters. No desk drawer(s) to hold chargers and wall warts when they are not being used? I hope they can find designers who actually have ever spent 2 weeks with 6-7 sea days aboard a transatlantic or similar trip.

I also do not like the open shelves. I prefer closed cabinet style. Agree that the clothes can other items could fall and perhaps break. Somebody suggested under the couch draws which is a good idea to add storage space.

I agree with some remarks in as much as that I don't want to feel like a pariah, excluded from certain areas because I didn't pay for a suite. If this truly is the trend for the future (as it already is with other companies using ships this size), then I will join those who go with smaller ships where everything is open to everyone. The last thing I would want, is to feel "second rate" because I "only" get a balcony cabin and have to miss out on prize spots like the lawn club bar or something similar.

Have to be chartered by the AMA for CME's- or similar professional groups, not for "Impractical Jokers", or Oldies groups! LOL

We met an instructor for University at Sea on our recent cruise. He was teaching a med CLE for dermatology.

All US ports except Ensenada.. I would think the ed costs at least are deductible but not familiar with the rules noted above.

As to ship uprades, I'd like to see a huge upgrade on TV offerings..esp M Class ships. Currently terrible..and not many included movies..they have on demand movies at $19.99. Too many X sales pitches compared to TV content. I recall S class being much better.

Edited by hcat

Thanks Mynki. My post on "suite envy" was tongue in cheek but even that was taken the wrong way. I guess any mention of suites or newly designed suite areas on ships will get the backs up of some on these boards. Anyway- I have sailed on all of the M-Class ships and I do like them quite a lot. I sailed this year on Connie right after her dry dock. They had upgraded some electronic systems (unseen to us) already to Edge-Class we were told. So Edgercising it is starting. M-Class cabins are in true need of refreshing - they just did the high-level suites (that word again!) on Connie only. The CS and Sky Suites were not touched or any other category of cabin. Hopefully this newly announced program will get M-Class cabins up to date. I also wish that M-Class would get at least one more Specialty Restaurant per ship.

Lots of my posts are tongue in cheek too. But again, not every one gets that. :)

I have no issues with M class ships. Technically I have four cruises booked on them which says it all. But we buy on value and not price usually. They are dated and in need of modernisation if they are to compete with the many newer ships available which was really my point. I'm also booked on Edge where the S1 suite cost for 7 nights on a fairly crappy and boring Caribbean itinerary is costing more than double what we've paid for 21 nights back to back with a CC balcony on Summit in december with more interesting itineraries. And whilst I'd much rather be in a suite obviously, I absolutely won't begrudge suite guests the additional amenities and suite only areas that they're enjoying. They've paid for them, make the most of them and enjoy is what I'd say.

So happy to sail on M class if it's priced right, happy to shell out more for a shiny new ship. Though if I think with my head I know the Edge sailing really isn't good value at all I just want the experience etc. But as I've said before we should all be thankful we have so many choices.

Lots of my posts are tongue in cheek too. But again, not every one gets that. :)

I have no issues with M class ships. Technically I have four cruises booked on them which says it all. But we buy on value and not price usually. They are dated and in need of modernisation if they are to compete with the many newer ships available which was really my point. I'm also booked on Edge where the S1 suite cost for 7 nights on a fairly crappy and boring Caribbean itinerary is costing more than double what we've paid for 21 nights back to back with a CC balcony on Summit in december with more interesting itineraries. And whilst I'd much rather be in a suite obviously, I absolutely won't begrudge suite guests the additional amenities and suite only areas that they're enjoying. They've paid for them, make the most of them and enjoy is what I'd say.

So happy to sail on M class if it's priced right, happy to shell out more for a shiny new ship. Though if I think with my head I know the Edge sailing really isn't good value at all I just want the experience etc. But as I've said before we should all be thankful we have so many choices.

I have found that Celebrity prices really are market-driven. Even on the older M-Class ships the price is high for very popular itineraries like Canada/NE or Panama Canal which sell out quickly. M-Class prices in the caribbean for a standard 7-day cruise are pretty good because there is a lot of competition from newer ships including Celebrity's other ships. We signed up for Edge when it first became available - just to see what it is all about. Not crazy about the boring caribbean itinerary. Price was high. If Edge and future Edge-class ships are based in the caribbean the prices will come down to reflect the competition. But perhaps not for suites which will be always popular on Edge due to the planned suite area. Celebrity has done its market assessment very well there. The high prices people pay for Edge suites will perhaps keep non-suite cabins at competitive prices at least in the caribbean.

REALLY? Nooooo.

I care more about price. there is value in any room on these cruises (for the most part....there are some lines that don't fit on both ends of the spectrum of course). I would like to see lower fares on X, but that will probably not happen with these remodels.

there isn't much value to be added for me. i don't drink. i don't gamble. i don't like people coming into my room b/c i don't want ppl to touch my stuff...esp when they have dirty hands and have been touching tons of other ppl's stuff without washing their hands. they probably clean the toilet and then fix my pillow....gross...best to minimize ppl touching stuff in my room. don't drink tea or coffee. so no afternoon tea for me. i don't even like rooms with windows b/c i can sleep until noon LOL.

Only thing I really care about is the food :p....hence why i cannot go to CCL unless all my friends out vote me.

REALLY? Nooooo.

I care more about price. there is value in any room on these cruises (for the most part....there are some lines that don't fit on both ends of the spectrum of course). I would like to see lower fares on X, but that will probably not happen with these remodels.

there isn't much value to be added for me. i don't drink. i don't gamble. i don't like people coming into my room b/c i don't want ppl to touch my stuff...esp when they have dirty hands and have been touching tons of other ppl's stuff without washing their hands. they probably clean the toilet and then fix my pillow....gross...best to minimize ppl touching stuff in my room. don't drink tea or coffee. so no afternoon tea for me. i don't even like rooms with windows b/c i can sleep until noon LOL.

Only thing I really care about is the food :p....hence why i cannot go to CCL unless all my friends out vote me.

LOL. When I read your post I started thinking about the song from the '80s by Adam Ant called Goody Two Shoes. Now I can't get it out of my head!

Here is the youtube version.

The food's gone downhill? I was last on a ship in 2013 but am booked on an X ship again. The Celebrity food was something I really missed when I tried RCCL (even a suite) the past two years

We cruised on Celebrity in 2012 and twice in 2013 and loved the food. On our 2015 cruise, we noticed a decline in quality in both the Main Dining Room and buffet. The buffet also had less selection and was very repetitive (in comparison to previous cruises).

The food certainly wasn't bad; however, we didn't enjoy it as much as previous cruises.

Some information isn't correct.

It says that "Oceanview Café, “an international marketplace with globally influenced menus”, is also set to be introduced exclusively on [4 ships]" However, it already exists on those ships, e.g. https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/eat-and-drink/restaurants-and-cafes/oceanview-café

I'm hoping it means they're blowing up the buffet on the M class ships and turning it into a more functional space to get a meal. The current design is atrocious and in desperate need of an overhaul.

I'm hoping it means they're blowing up the buffet on the M class ships and turning it into a more functional space to get a meal. The current design is atrocious and in desperate need of an overhaul.

The design, as originally designed, was fine.

The problem is when they "Solsticised" it. They left the layout as was, but took away features for how it worked, and rearranged food to be like on Solstice; basically not using the design how it was intended.

The design, as originally designed, was fine.

The problem is when they "Solsticised" it. They left the layout as was, but took away features for how it worked, and rearranged food to be like on Solstice; basically not using the design how it was intended.

Regardless of the design, it was fairly useless for anything beyond breakfast,,,on Infinity.

Day 1 we lucked out with a nice beef carving station. After that...it was downhill except for broiled chicken which they do well. But mostly they have alot of noodles..pasta, tai and rice. Sandwich area towards the back was yucky and the whole place smells odd.

We booked a b2b on the edge with an infinite balcony. It is very expensive compared to other Celebrity ships. We have sailed on the summit 6 times in sky suites or Celebrity suites. The furniture needs a major overhall in those and all regular cabins. Hope they replace it soon

I have found that Celebrity prices really are market-driven. Even on the older M-Class ships the price is high for very popular itineraries like Canada/NE or Panama Canal which sell out quickly. M-Class prices in the caribbean for a standard 7-day cruise are pretty good because there is a lot of competition from newer ships including Celebrity's other ships. We signed up for Edge when it first became available - just to see what it is all about. Not crazy about the boring caribbean itinerary. Price was high. If Edge and future Edge-class ships are based in the caribbean the prices will come down to reflect the competition. But perhaps not for suites which will be always popular on Edge due to the planned suite area. Celebrity has done its market assessment very well there. The high prices people pay for Edge suites will perhaps keep non-suite cabins at competitive prices at least in the caribbean.

I think the first two Edge class ships and any additional E class vessels will spend a lot of time in the Caribbean and Med. It's their two most lucrative markets after all.

Personally I think this is a good thing for all as eventually prices on S and M class ships are likely to fall, again giving everyone more choices.

It's obvious to me that they're pitching Edge class suites not at those who usually travel in inside, OV or verandah cabins but those likely to sail on more upscale lines. Those booking iconic suites and edge villas are a very different target market after all.

The suite experience on M class ships is a little bit disjointed. Luminae and MC were retrofitted and are not situated in the best parts of the ship so I'm sure the retreat will be far better for suite guests. So it will be interesting to see how any retro fitted upgrades will pan out on the older ships. It's pretty much guaranteed to annoy non suite fans of M class ships but we know how much LLP will care about that. :)

REALLY? Nooooo.

No booze? No gambling? Are you celibate and vegan too? ;p

I wonder how many newbies will be browsing this board thinking Celebrity Cruises, I fancy sailing on them, they're supposed to be great, modern luxury....

Then they stumble on the reprobates posting on this thread....

Keep it up. Less passengers, lower fares....

Besides Steve, I thought you were too posh to sail with us minions on Celebrity these days? I thought you'd moved onto AZ and O?

I wonder how many newbies will be browsing this board thinking Celebrity Cruises' date=' I fancy sailing on them, they're supposed to be great, modern luxury....

Then they stumble on the reprobates posting on this thread....

Keep it up. Less passengers, lower fares....

Besides Steve, I thought you were too posh to sail with us minions on Celebrity these days? I thought you'd moved onto AZ and O?[/quote']

Modern Luxury? hahahahahaha. Reprobate? I resemble that remark. You either understand my humor or you don't. Either way that's OK with me.

But I'm not posh. I did move to AZ and O because I wanted to get what Celebrity used to give me . However I am trying Holland America to see what they offer. So I'm not an elitist although I am Elite on Celebrity. Big whoop. :D

When you look at O, they include air and unlimited internet plus other things such as specialty restaurants, it's not that much more expensive than Celebrity. I just like the smaller ships with better quality food and service.

I really do hope to sail Celebrity again some day. Just can't deal with the decline in quality at higher rates for the sake of profits at the current time. Although as a Stock Holder I do appreciate that aspect.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Look at the announcement. Take it at face value for now. No mention of S-class ships specifically or "public" Lawn Club space going away. People are jumping to conclusions without any information to back them up.

That may be because when they announced exclusive dining for suites, they didn't mention they were going to hack off a large portion of the MDR that is used by the rest of passengers to create Luminae. That resulted in longer waits in select dining and lower ratio of servers/passengers, resulting in disorganization. They addressed that by setting up the menu to look like three courses, rather than four. When they made Michael's Club exclusive to suites and elites, other private events were relocated to Sky Lounge, making it less accessible to the 'regular' passengers.