Do you have a funny story or not so funny story about lost luggage?

robthens

Sitting in the airport, Mallorca, waiting for a flight to the UK, we noticed a baggage train accidentally tip a load of suitcases on the ground and drive on. We laughed that one of those was bound to be ours... and it was...

There was one lone case on the carousel at East Midland airport, with a label for Manchester. Customs had that case opened in 2 seconds! They told me that mine was probably in Manchester, and that the porters would shove a spare case on to any UK flight.

It was delivered next day...unfortunately we were out, so it was accepted by a neighbour with severe issues. That might have been the end, but fortunately her sister noticed the case and brought it round.

Edited by jocap
getting late...

Several years ago, the entire family got their luggage. With the exception of my 18 year old son. I was convinced he packed liquor in his suitcase even though he insisted he hadn't. But the luggage never showed up.

Royal measured him for a Tux for formal night and he was borrowing his brother's clothes for the first few days.

The third day, our cabin attendant brought his suitcase in. Apparently there was a room full of boys next door and they didn't realize there was an extra suitcase in the cabin. How can you not notice an extra full sized suitcase in a tiny cabin??

Regardless, we were happy to finally get it and I was relieved that my son wasn't a "smuggler".

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We connected in AMS going to Berlin. AMS was just implementing their new state of the art luggage system.

PIlot on the flight to Berlin comes on the intercom stating that we're going to be a bit late while luggage is loaded. Then, he later comes on the intercom saying that the good news is we will finally take-off, but the bad news is only about a third of the luggage was loaded.

Since this was a land trip, the luggage was eventually delivered....about 36 hours later. But, that was after we went shopping for running shoes and other necessities, because of a poorly thought out cross pack in carry-ons.

Only runners will understand how difficult running shoes are to replace, on the spur of the moment, in a country where you don't speak the language.

After that adventure the running shoes are either on our feet for the flight or in a carry-on.

Well it wasn't funny at the time but we look back on it and smile now. Both of our cases went missing and we had no luggage in Europe for 21 days which included a 12 day Med. Cruise on Princess. We both just had carry on. My husband was in a bit better shape than I was compounded by me travelling in Yoga pants which turned out to be the only bottoms I had. I had underwear, my makeup, a spare pair of shoes and I think that was about it.

Trying to run around Barcelona where the women are size 2 and still like clothes that they can't breath in was a challenge. Finally had a sigh of relief spotting the Jones New York section on the big department store. Bought a pair of jeans and a couple of tops to get me through. Then bought what we could at each port stop and on the Ship. Princess were great.

We caught up with our luggage the last night in Paris before flying home.

I am just curious - do bags ever get "lost" after you give them to the porters at the port? I get flights but I often wonder if they ever get lost at the port.

Not sure if dock porters lose baggage , but we did see them drop a suitcase into the ocean once.

A ship worker was trying to fish it out with a long pole.

It nearly got onto the ship, but fell in the ocean again. Finally, it was hoisted on board.

I am just curious - do bags ever get "lost" after you give them to the porters at the port? I get flights but I often wonder if they ever get lost at the port.

My wife and I have been on several cruises where for several days (night of the 1st day till morning of the third day) the ship has made an announcements, 'That the following bags, (giving color/descript/cabin#) are 'unaccounted' for and IF anybody found they had the WRONG bag could they please bring said bags too guest services'. So, either the bags didn't make it to the port OR someone liked the wrong clothes better than their own ?

Mac