Question on Beaches in Rarotonga

cruisingrammie

I have been doing some research on pollution on the beaches on the southeast side of Rarotonga. We are swimmers, not snorkelers or divers. Since both Muri and Titikaveka beaches seem to be having a difficult (and seemingly unsafe) problem with pollution, is there anyone who has experienced either Nikao or Aroa beach? Could you please share your preference and explain why? We will be in Raro in February. I visited many years ago and loved Muri, but don't want to return because of the pollution problem. Thanking you all in advance!

• 3 weeks later...

I was there April of 2017. I lazed and waded around the Aroa Beach area and hung out with some Aussie surfers. The Rarotongan is close by, but I only grabbed a coupla beers and chicken burger across the street. Why there and not elsewhere? Only locals and coupla surfer types. Access to good eats and nice little spots to sit. We didn't use the Rarotongan's beach facilities or bar, but it's there if you'd want to. We simply ignored the 'Beware of Undertow' signs... put there for the profoundly dumb I suppose.

• 2 weeks later...
I was there April of 2017. I lazed and waded around the Aroa Beach area and hung out with some Aussie surfers. The Rarotongan is close by, but I only grabbed a coupla beers and chicken burger across the street. Why there and not elsewhere? Only locals and coupla surfer types. Access to good eats and nice little spots to sit. We didn't use the Rarotongan's beach facilities or bar, but it's there if you'd want to. We simply ignored the 'Beware of Undertow' signs... put there for the profoundly dumb I suppose.

Thanks for your input! That's just the kind of day we were hoping to find!