Out of all the cut backs over the years, what is the one thing ...

sassy~one

I wish people would wear ear buds. I'm constantly around people that listen to videos with no ear buds. I was in a local restaurant the other day and someone had their cell phone on full blast to entertain her child. I remember hearing birds chirping in the MDR in the morning on ships I sailed on. That was semi pleasant. Nowhey seem to have some crappy ( to me ) music playing.[/q]

Yes, yes, I so agree about people using their ear buds.

I am truly curious if anyone will actually choose an HAL cruise in the hope of heaing a lecture from Oprah? Would that be a highpoint? Would you purchase whatever she is selling that day?

How does HAL make money from this 'alliance?

The opportunity to hear from a subject matter expert, professor, author, etc., is definitely a benefit in my book and something I am looking for compared to mainstream lines. Going to a theater to watch an Oprah video, not so much. But an in person lecturer giving history of a particular port or maritime theme would be huge to me. It's a shame this doesn't exist on the 7 day Caribbean sailings because that's the easiest for me to book at this point in time. The Caribbean islands are rich with history, wars, conquest that feed right to today. I don't want to know where I can buy Tanzanite or Cariloha sheets.

How HAL makes money is that I'd be booking a cruise for 3 people; and also NOT booking that cruise on a competitor line.

I don't know what a Dutch night is; no clue. But I'd like to experience it. Maybe it too would become a distinction not available elsewhere.

Companies would never disclose the mechanics of these deals, but looking at the publicity HAL got out of the original announcement of this agreement (in many different travel publications, in newspapers, websites, etc.), that's one thing.

Another thing is that HAL's marketing people have probably looked at the demographics and found that readers of O magazine (which is who the agreement is with, not with Oprah herself...) must closely match their target demographics for purchasing cruises. HAL was apparently already running ads in this magazine before the current two-year deal was announced. Now they will get additional visibility and positive publicity via that venue.

Would people pay to cruise with Oprah? I'm sure there are many who would. Just look at the dozens and dozens of "theme" and "specialty" cruises already hawked every year -- from tie-ins with popular TV series ("Top Chef" cruises on Celebrity) to cruises with a particular band or performer, to sports figures, to all kinds of celebrities (e.g., William Shatner, the Olsen twins). It may not appeal to regular cruisers like those on this board, but it might just get someone to cruise who was on the fence or had considered cruising but never actually tried it. And from what we've heard, that's the exact cruiser HAL is trying to get onboard. (Pun intended.)

Looking at the dates they've picked for these cruises, the remaining three with Oprah actually onboard seem to be in the shoulder seasons or slower seasons for their particular venues (e.g., Nov 29 in the Caribbean). So perhaps HAL will sell a few more cabins than usual or at a better price.

So that's at least four things HAL might hope to get out of the deal.

Thank you. That is what I was trying to say on the "Oprah" thread. Maybe your stature in the group will keep you from getting bashed. I hope so - you are one of the "good ones" IMHO..

(on the musical front, someone pranked us yesterday and changed the Lobby Music to twangy Country!!! We don't have the access to change it, so we were stuck listening to that all night...)

Does anyone else miss the Officer's Black and White Ball? I always looked forward to that. Of course everyone didn't mine dressing then.

That was always a very nice evening. We had a great time in 2016 on the Hawaii/South Pacific Westerdam cruise with Captain Rens van Eerten and CD Mario Vines. The Crow's Nest was standing room only and a lot of people, including officers and staff, stayed well past their regular bedtime.

Does anyone else miss the Officer's Black and White Ball? I always looked forward to that. Of course everyone didn't mine dressing then.

We had one on our 14 day Alaska cruise in 2015. It was the first time we'd experienced it. We have done only shorter cruises since then so I don't know if they have been discontinued, or if they are exclusive to longer cruises.

We had one on our 14 day Alaska cruise in 2015. It was the first time we'd experienced it. We have done only shorter cruises since then so I don't know if they have been discontinued, or if they are exclusive to longer cruises.

They are still being done I believe, but, I as I understood, it is a ship's (captain's) discretion type of thing.

They are only offered on longer cruises though. My memory is short but I believe that Captain Van Eerten said that the cruise must be 14 days to pull it off.

They are still being done I believe, but, I as I understood, it is a ship's (captain's) discretion type of thing.

They are only offered on longer cruises though. My memory is short but I believe that Captain Van Eerten said that the cruise must be 14 days to pull it off.

Thanks for that information. We've only done one cruise of that length.

• 2 months later...
Seeems now they are going to provide us with lectures from Oprah...........:eek. I turn off the tv to not hear her and will not s pend a moment off my cruise time listening to her lecture of the day :eek

I am truly curious if anyone will actually choose an HAL cruise in the hope of heaing a lecture from Oprah? Would that be a highpoint? Would you purchase whatever she is selling that day?

How does HAL make money from this 'alliance?

Noticed they stopped posting O things on FB after all the extremely negative comments. Yes, she is a nice person, but too opinionated and too political. We vacation to get away from it all.

5 Star Cruiser,

Have Passport, will travel

The Cruise Log given as a history at the end of the cruise. We cruise for the sailing experience and seeing different things. This was a wonderful keepsake of ports, weather, and unique events. We want it back!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's coming back in a different shape/form

Noticed they stopped posting O things on FB after all the extremely negative comments. Yes, she is a nice person, but too opinionated and too political. We vacation to get away from it all.

5 Star Cruiser,

Have Passport, will travel

Along with a very disappointing cruise on Noordam,having Oprah as a spokesperson for HAL has aided in our decision to not sail HAL again.

Didn't realize Oprah represents HAL. She is a rep for Weight Watchers and owns a percentage of the company. Unless you're going on an Oprah -themed cruise, I don't see where she would influence on onboard experience.

Roz

Sent from my SM-S820L using Forums mobile app

What is the one thing I'd like to bring back?

Well if I could 'turn back time" (think of the Cher video).....

I'd like to be able to smuggle a couple of bottles of booze in my luggage again....

What is the one thing I'd like to bring back?

Well if I could 'turn back time" (think of the Cher video).....

I'd like to be able to smuggle a couple of bottles of booze in my luggage again....

Definitely being able to bring our own wine was a big plus in the HAL column. We haven't cruised since that change (not for that reason) but with the included SBP it won't be an issue for our June cruise.

Didn't realize Oprah represents HAL. She is a rep for Weight Watchers and owns a percentage of the company. Unless you're going on an Oprah -themed cruise, I don't see where she would influence on onboard experience.

Roz

Sent from my SM-S820L using Forums mobile app

The hiring of Oprah and her radical ways reflects on the current leadership at HAL who hired her!

D oesn't necessarily reflect well or positively. What does "O have to do with cruising and HAL? I know all companies look to make money where t they can, Surely they could have found someone more likely t o attract cruisers. "O has no particular appeal that would encourage anyone otherwise disinclined to book a HAL cruise to go ahead and book one. . JMO.

Edited by sail7seas

D oesn't necessarily reflect well or positively. What does "O have to do with cruising and HAL? I know all companies look to make money where t they can, Surely they could have found someone more likely t o attract cruisers. "O has no particular appeal that would encourage anyone otherwise disinclined to book a HAL cruise to go ahead and book one. . JMO I see no logical connec tion of "O to a cruise line.quote]

As to the question.. I am disappoint ed HAL has eliminated all the charming ig features of the Holland in Holland America. I liked Duttch Nighr. I liked thegouda and edam squares of cheese that were passed in Ocean bar on Dutch Night. I miss bami goreng I do not care for nasi goreng. I really cannot understand the needeless change of Logo.... All it did was cost money b but I hardly think the change makes it more significant or attractive.

Edited by sail7seas

The hiring of Oprah and her radical ways reflects on the current leadership at HAL who hired her!

Radical? I see her as about as mainstream as you can get. No matter what your opinion may be, the woman is extremely popular. Her TV show and specials, book cub and magazine have millions of followers. Much like using the BBC Earth name HAL is trying to reach out to more people with different interests.