Bus to turtle farm?

nlooser

Legally only appropriately licensed taxis and tour buses are permitted to pick up or drop off directly at the tender piers.Those generally charge higher fares than the public route buses.

The public route buses are not supposed to serve the waterfront area at all. None of the routes go through the waterfront area. But perhaps you encountered a public buses that did a route diversion in violation of the rules. Net lesson is that others should expect that any bus along the waterfront is not a public bus and will charge accordingly.

• 3 weeks later...

We took the bus. It is a very short walk from the pier, no more than 10 minutes. We rode almost to the Turtle farm and it was approximately 20 mins. We were the only ship in port and it was a Sunday, so I am sure that we were very lucky. If many ships are in port, I would allow plenty of extra time. [emoji846]

Bus is $2.50 US pp. I believe taxis are $5-7 pp.

Per direction

• 4 weeks later...

The public minibus charges only US$2.50 per person per ride i.e. each way to the Cayman Turtle Centre or back to George Town where the main cruise terminals are located. A taxi ride on that route is about 20 minutes, but the minibus will probably make a few stops along the way so add a few minutes to the time estimate. Actually the closest bus terminal to Royal Water cruise terminal downtown George Town, is located across the street from the Dairy Queen, along the waterfront walking north out of the cruise terminal. It's a bit closer than the central bus depot which is located next door to the Public Library in downtown George Town.

But depending on your budget you could also consider taking a taxi to Cayman Turtle Centre. Figure on paying around US$8.00 per person (each way) and about 20 minutes for the taxi ride from the cruise terminal in George Town to the turtle centre. Taxis are readily available at the Royal Watler cruise terminal.