Celebrity management ignores Puerto Rico warnings....just of bunch of CLOWNS!

CruiseZZ1956

We are sailing on the Silhouette on Nov 26th out of Fort Lauderdale for a 12 day cruise. On 11/28 & 11/29 it will stay overnight at San Juan. The reason that we booked this cruise was to see Puerto Rico but not how it exists now. I am very concerned as I have no intention of going on any excursions at this time. Celebrity has already changed St Marteen & Dominica & it looks like they are NOT changing PR. I am not looking forward to this trip & wish I could change for another next year but it looks like it is too late.

We are sailing on the Silhouette on Nov 26th out of Fort Lauderdale for a 12 day cruise. On 11/28 & 11/29 it will stay overnight at San Juan. The reason that we booked this cruise was to see Puerto Rico but not how it exists now. I am very concerned as I have no intention of going on any excursions at this time. Celebrity has already changed St Marteen & Dominica & it looks like they are NOT changing PR. I am not looking forward to this trip & wish I could change for another next year but it looks like it is too late.

You will enjoy your time on ship while in port. Unlike the local inhabitants you will electric, food, wait service, clean water, and comfort. How could this possibly ruin your trip to the point that you are not even looking forward to it?

Just checked State Dept.gov (US site) - no travel advisories for PR.

Uh' date=' Puerto Rico is part of the United States. There are also no travel advisories for the US Virgin Islands. Same thing...

While I think the OP is overreacting, the Canadian (or UK, or EU, etc.) governments would be far more likely to give a travel advisory for a [b']foreign[/b] state or territory, which PR would be to them. But not to the US...

What hotels are open in San Juan? We just received an email today that the hotel was canceling ours even though they only had minor damage. We have a friend staying at another hotel and all three rooms were canceled.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You will enjoy your time on ship while in port. Unlike the local inhabitants you will electric, food, wait service, clean water, and comfort. How could this possibly ruin your trip to the point that you are not even looking forward to it?

Unlike most people, some of us cruise for the ports, the ship is just a means to an end, like flying. I would be disappointed too.

What hotels are open in San Juan? We just received an email today that the hotel was canceling ours even though they only had minor damage. We have a friend staying at another hotel and all three rooms were canceled.

Sorry this happened to you. We dock in SJ on 10/28 and had to finally cancel our hotel last night because we weren't getting any positive feedback from the hotel for 2 weeks. Initially they told me on 10/6 they were open & operational with only minor damage but power issues and I should check back in a few days. When I tried for 2 days to reach them they finally responded. They told me to contact Expedia to cancel since I booked through them. And then Expedia tried to tell me that the cancellation time ended 9/27! I told them they better not pull that since I would dispute the charge. They backed down when they couldn't reach the hotel. They sent an email & text telling me that the hotel was not operational and that I should email back for a refund which would be promptly given.

I woke up this morning to a completely different email telling me they were trying to reach the hotel-again! Lots of angry words in my response back. Glad I booked a flight home the same day the ship docks expecting there would more than likely be issues.

I hope it works out for you and your friends.

It is never too late to cancel...You will have up through the day of sailing to cancel.

Otherwise, bon voyage

Strinkle our sailing is no longer stopping at PR. Here is what has been posted by on of our roll call members:

"We have some important itinerary changes to tell you about for your upcoming 12-Night Ultimate Caribbean Cruise departing from Ft. Lauderdale on November 26, 2017. Updates from the Caribbean islands are coming in daily, and we’re doing everything we can to ensure you have the best vacation possible. We know these changes can be disruptive, but we truly believe we’ve found an opportunity to make the upcoming sailing even better.

Our teams on the ground in San Juan, Puerto Rico haven’t been able to determine when the island will be ready to welcome cruise guests again. So, we’re replacing San Juan with a visit to the breathtaking port of Cococay, Bahamas for your sailing. In order to maintain the rest of your itinerary, we’ll be at sea aboard the stunning Celebrity Silhouette one more day than originally planned.

We’re arranging a wide variety of in depth shore excursions for you to choose from in the Bahamas. Once we have them finalized, we’ll send all the details you’ll need to plan excursions and book them before you sail.

If you already booked shore excursions booked in Puerto Rico, you’ll automatically receive a full refund back to the form of payment used to book the excursions.

For your convenience, we’ve included the newly revised itinerary below.

Sun Nov 26 Fort Lauderdale, FL 4:00pm

Mon Nov 27 CocoCay, Bahamas 8:00am 5:00pm

Tue Nov 28 At Sea

Wed Nov 29 At Sea

Thu Nov 30 Antigua 9:00am 6:00pm

Fri Dec 1 St. Lucia 10:00am 6:00pm

Sat Dec 2 Grenada 7:00am 6:00pm

Sun Dec 3 Barbados 7:00am 6:00pm

Mon Dec 4 Martinique 7:00am 6:00pm

Tue Dec 5 St. Kitts 9:00am 6:00pm

Wed Dec 6 At Sea

Thu Dec 7 At Sea

Fri Dec 8 Fort Lauderdale, FL 7:00am

We continue to support the relief efforts for the islands affected by the recent hurricanes, and we’re doing all we can to help them welcome cruise ships and visitors once again. We hope you are looking forward to visiting these beautiful islands in the near future as much as we are.

Sincerely,

Celebrity Cruises"

You are still five weeks away from your departure date. You may be panicking for nothing. A lot can happen between now and November 18.

Besides the cruise, there are other considerations.

What are your flight plans? What is your airline's cancellation policy? Is the airline operational now?

How about hotel? For updates on which hotels are open now and when the closed hotels plan to re-open, see this link:

For updates on hotel closures and re-openings, go to Puertoriconow.seepuertorico.com.

BTW: Here is the current situation as regards the port and terminal:

"This US territory suffered greatly from hurricanes Irma and Maria. The damage to the entire island was extensive. Recent reports indicate that cruise facilities were not as badly damaged as initially thought, and power has been restored to both cruise terminals.

Island officials have cleared the island to use gangways on the piers for cruise embarkation and debarkation until the covered cruise terminals are fully back in order. The airport is operational, and most airlines have resumed flights to San Juan."

Originally we had a Celebrity Eastern Caribbean cruise leaving Miami on 2/3/18. Because of the hurricanes, we did not want to go to Puerto Rico, and St. Martin's gang warfare on the island, not safe! We rebooked a 9 night Celebrity Silhoutte for 2/1/19,!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Try Olive Boutique Hotel - they have a generator and said they were fully operational when I called them.