Ok to leave our chair for 30 to 45 minutes lunch or go for a walk?

Produce123

If Carnival says 40 minutes is fine, then I'll give you 40 minutes. Any longer than that and it's not your chair unless you're sitting in it--I don't care what else you might be doing. Chairs are for sitting, not storing your belongings until you might want to use the chair.

On our last cruise, we did wander around EVERY deck and there were NO chairs that weren't either occupied or had stuff on them. After our third round, we moved stuff and claimed two chairs. No regrets!

As soon as we were done laying on those chairs, we picked up our stuff and left. We would never leave our belongings in a place if we are going to be in a different place. Its so weird to me that this is such a problem. If we left for an hour, got lunch, and then decided we wanted to lay in the chairs some more, we'd find new chairs! If everybody did this, there would probably never be a shortage of chairs, because the odds are so small that they would all be occupied at the same time.

My gym offers free for use cubbies that have 4-digit combination locks that you set when you close the door; not too dissimilar from cruise ship safes but larger and mechanical not digital. Works great for me. I wonder how many people that go to the pool or hot tubs would benefit from throwing a towel and whatever is in their pockets in there. Increased security, decreased use of sun loungers to store stuff. I don't like to lay in the sun, but a lounge chair is homebase for us when we go in the pool. Give me another place to safely keep items and I won't even use the lounge chair at all.

keyless1.jpg

My gym offers free for use cubbies that have 4-digit combination locks that you set when you close the door; not too dissimilar from cruise ship safes but larger and mechanical not digital. Works great for me. I wonder how many people that go to the pool or hot tubs would benefit from throwing a towel and whatever is in their pockets in there. Increased security, decreased use of sun loungers to store stuff. I don't like to lay in the sun, but a lounge chair is homebase for us when we go in the pool. Give me another place to safely keep items and I won't even use the lounge chair at all.

keyless1.jpg

I think this would be brilliant! The local pool I went to as a kid had lockers available to store stuff.

When we visited Busch Gardens after our cruise in Feb, we took advantage of the short-term locker rental to put our stuff in while we went on the water ride.

I didn't get all of the posts on here about "chair hogs" until we sailed on the Ecstasy in August. It was blazing hot out and there is only one small pool on the ship, with very little seating around it. We were out there before 10 am on our Sea day and couldn't find seats together anywhere, even on the upper deck. And I would say that at least 80% of those chairs didn't have people in them / just the random flip flops and magazines holding the chairs indefinitely.

After our 3rd walk around we finally moved a string of flip flops over to one chair and sat down. We were there for over 2 hours and the people never came to sit down.

I say definitely okay to leave your stuff to take a dip in the pool or go get a cold drink or something from the buffet. But hogging multiple chairs all day that you aren't really using is kind of selfish.

Boy, do I have a story to share I was on Anthem of the seas in June 2017. I went to the pool around 11am. All the prime chairs, was taken there was 2 chairs with towels on them. And couples sitting on both sides on these empty saved with towels chairs I ask the people sitting how long had the folks been gone they said a man came around 6am said hello put his towels down never came back. Now Anthem has 30 mins you can save a chair. I took those towels put them behind me and sat my cruise mate came about 15in after me and we was sitting talking to the people that had been there for about 1 hour here comes the guy that had placed the towels down at 6am. He asked where was his stuff I handed it to him he wanted to know who moved them. He threw them back down on my chair went and got security after arguing with me. Security took my statement ask for my room number the people sitting on either side of us witness what time the man left the towels. And this went on for about 2 hours the wife showed up very upset complaining to security for hours . Finally security found 2 more chairs from somewhere and placed them on the other side of the pool facing us. And the wife was mean mugging us instead of enjoying the great seats she had from being persistent although wrong. Now I am getting scared cuz we stood our ground was not moving and they was really mad. I have never seen anything like it. I thought they might follow us to our cabin

And we had the nice people that had been sitting there come to out defense. I don't think I will do that again it was not worth it. I was on a 9 day cruise and was scared that those people was coming after us. The people sitting there already was so nice and told me not to worry. My friend and I sat there for hours. With the mean people across mean mugging us. It's funny now but I was scared at the time but we was not giving up those seats.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Forums mobile app

I have to say. My BFF and I have it down to a science. One of us ops to go out at 5 or 6 am (with our robe and swimsuit under). We “save” the other chair. The only ones out are the workers. Then we fall asleep in the chair until others start showing up about 8. At that point during the day we always leave one person there. The funniest part is when my BFF is still sleeping and snoring when people start to show up!!! Lol. We have seen on Carnival where they put stickers on the seat and take peoples items. I believe the time is 40 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

keyless1.jpg

My yoga studio has them too. They are great until someone punches their code into the locker they swore they used and it locks the person who does have stuff in there out and they have to go to the desk to have someone with the “magic key” open it. That person will at least ask what their stuff looked like and won’t just give them free access to the locker. But if it is not theirs, more lockers must be opened to discover - which ultimately means more work for the person with the key as they will have to unlock every locker that was opened.

A better solution would be lockers with a key on a wristband. The key has a number matching the locker on it. No confusion as to which locker you used.

I have to say. My BFF and I have it down to a science. One of us ops to go out at 5 or 6 am (with our robe and swimsuit under). We “save” the other chair. The only ones out are the workers. Then we fall asleep in the chair until others start showing up about 8. At that point during the day we always leave one person there. The funniest part is when my BFF is still sleeping and snoring when people start to show up!!! Lol. We have seen on Carnival where they put stickers on the seat and take peoples items. I believe the time is 40 minutes.

What you've described is the 'extra chair for my friend/spouse' scenario. I don't think anyone ever really has a problem with that. Again, anything reasonable never really gets complained about. It's the genuine abusers that get appropriately flamed.

And really, it's normally not that hard to get something decent. Sure if you go out at 10a you won't find a clamshell or bed up in Serenity or a seat in the first row by the pool. But on a sea day I'll usually be out by 7:30 in shorts and a T with a cup of Joe. My wife will typically join me within 1/2 an hour and at some point I'll head back to get my swim suit on. We've often brought Lido breakfast or lunch to our spot. We'll typically give up our spot by 1p to do something else and may return at 3p when the crowds have thinned. All good.

I feel the same about those who spend the day in one chair. Yes, they can, but should they?

I don't have a problem with people saving chairs all day if they are actually using them all day I.e. At least one person is there at all times or in the immediate area using the pool, bathroom etc. It's quite annoying for my husband and I to struggle to find a pair of chairs that we can use for an hour during the day when we want to use the pool. If you simply want to sit in a lounge chair all day and not use the pool, there are plenty available on the higher decks. Save the pool chairs for people who want to actually go in the pool.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't have any problem in anybody leaving their chairs and I don't care for how long, but I do expect when a person leaves the chair that they will be coming back, if they don't, then that is pure rude of the person. If there are rules as to the time limit then you should follow the rules, but I for one don't care whether your away from your chair for a long period of time, I just find a chair somewhere always do.

And you don't consider saving the other chair for 2 hours chair hogging? Goodness, that seems selfish to me as someone else might have wanted to use it while you or BFF are gone.

Carnival's policy is 40 minutes as you stated and obviously your two hours is exceeding that.

If Carnival has a 40 minute rule, then leaving for less than 40 minutes to use the pool, eat, or whatever is fine. On sea days, my husband and I will lounge on a couple of chairs for hours. We will go get a quick bite to eat for lunch, never taking longer than 30 minutes. If we get a burger, we'll usually just bring it back to our chairs to eat. If everyone just followed the designated rules, then there wouldn't be an issue.

The posted time on the deck is either 30 or 40 minutes; if you are within the timeframe it is fair game. No one gets to tell you that 5 is okay but 10 is not if Carnival says 40 is fine. But if it is 40, please be respectful; 60 isn't 40.

I agree-- simply follow the rules. People who have towels out at 7:00 and don't show up until 9 or 10 are the ones who bother me. And the ones who take over chairs, hammocks and the hot tub in the Serenity area for the entire day--ugh.

Honestly, I don't get the idea of being on a huge cruise ship, and sitting in a chair all day long. I'm on vacation, and if I wanted to sit around all day I'd have saved my money and stayed home. Too much to do around the ship, but to each their own. However, I do find it selfish whether within Carnival's policy or not to hold onto a chair all day. What about others that want to pop on deck for an hour or so, but have no seats because people come out early morning and sit/sleep there all day? Again, it may be within policy, but where did common courtesy go these days? How would you feel if you wanted to attend the Comedy Show, but there were no seats because large groups of people decided to camp out there all early evening? I bet it wouldn't feel too good to have to stand for the show as a result of that.

My personal opinion is that I don't leave anything on my chair unless I'm in the general vicinity - bar getting a drink, pool, bathroom, etc. when I go to a different area of the ship - taking a walk, eating, going to my room, I take everything with me.

If everyone simply used the chairs when they were on the pool deck there would be plenty of chairs for everyone. I'm not a huge sunbather; generally not there for more than an hour at a time. So wasting 40 minutes waiting for the timer to go up for a saved chair takes up most of my lounging time.

Lol. We are not spring chickens and laying around at the pool is like laying around on the beach. We love it and that is why I am on my 16th cruise and my bff on her 20th cruise. The only time we buse the 45 minute rule is before dawn. We are both there within an hour or two and there is still no one there but the workers and a handful of people. We do go in the water, we do go run and get lunch one at a time. We do buy drinks, we do go to the bathroom. We usually are out of our pool chairs by 1:00 so others can have it. We do tell people to take chairs if someone has planted their towel and not come back for 2 hours (we tell them to have one of the pool guys bring the things to the towel rental place). I wish Carnival WOULD go back to putting the stickers on the chairs and taking people’s belongings. The drink guys KNOW Always know who abuse it. What pisses me off now is on the ships that have changed the “adult only” at the aft pool. Now there is a problem to talk about! Lol.

Carnival's rule is 40 minutes so as long as you follow that you are good! Like someone else said don't push 40 to 60 that is when people who are watching how long you take start to get mad.

Personally if I leave a chair I am done with it and don't plan to go back. I'm not a huge sun bather so about 2 hours is good for me and I'm on to something else.

My personal opinion is that I don't leave anything on my chair unless I'm in the general vicinity - bar getting a drink, pool, bathroom, etc. when I go to a different area of the ship - taking a walk, eating, going to my room, I take everything with me.

If everyone simply used the chairs when they were on the pool deck there would be plenty of chairs for everyone. I'm not a huge sunbather; generally not there for more than an hour at a time. So wasting 40 minutes waiting for the timer to go up for a saved chair takes up most of my lounging time.

See? I get that.

Being African American, I don't want to sunbathe all day. But I'd like to relax for 30 to 45 minutes by the pool every day or so. Having a chair for my wife and I is a good thing. We're NOT going to sit there for hours upon hours, just soak in some sun and enjoy the deck.

It's really frustrating to have to hunt for double seating because of people hogging, and yes, HOGGING the seats for the whole day looking for ways around Carnival's rules.

It's just like on the subway; If I'm getting off in two stops, I stand instead of bullying a seat in a crowded train.

I still just don't get the mentality of some people, that old "It's My Vacation, And I'll Do What I Want To Do" mindset. When I drive, I share the road. When I vacation, I share the whole experience. #JustMyThoughts

Honestly, I don't get the idea of being on a huge cruise ship, and sitting in a chair all day long. I'm on vacation, and if I wanted to sit around all day I'd have saved my money and stayed home. Too much to do around the ship, but to each their own. However, I do find it selfish whether within Carnival's policy or not to hold onto a chair all day. What about others that want to pop on deck for an hour or so, but have no seats because people come out early morning and sit/sleep there all day? Again, it may be within policy, but where did common courtesy go these days? How would you feel if you wanted to attend the Comedy Show, but there were no seats because large groups of people decided to camp out there all early evening? I bet it wouldn't feel too good to have to stand for the show as a result of that.

As far as I’m concerned, if people are actually using the chair, then I don’t care how long they have it for. I certainly don’t expect anyone who is relaxing in their chair to give it to me so I can turn around and relax in said chair. If someone is willing to go out at the crack of dawn and grab themselves a lounger, then good for them. As long as they are using it, it shouldn’t matter how long they are in it. I didn’t realize there were people who get to decide how long I use my chair for? As for going to the comedy club and finding a line up? Then I guess that would be my problem for not going on time to insure myself a spot. If it’s something I really want to see or do, I know I better be prepared to get there early. I live in Canada, we will have snow and freezing weather for 5 months. I plan on plunking my ass in a lounger all bloody day on our sea days. I’m going nap in the sun, read in the sun, play some Cribbage in the sun, have some swims in the sun, play on my iPad in the sun, eat my lunch in the sun, drinks my drinks in the sun. Don’t like it? Too bad.