14 day cruise and only 5 ports now not 8!!!!!!! Not cool

caddykid12

Hey look.

It's perfectly okay to be upset/annoyed/disappointed with itinerary changes especially at this level, while still being sympathetic to the reasons for them. Humans are funny that way we can hold more than one emotion at a time.

What's not cool is to accuse the cruise lines of doing things just to annoy passengers or make life easier for them or even to take advantage of disaster to make money because 99/100 times these things don't happen. On the flip side, its also not cool to expect a change to the rules because you don't like the new itinerary.

I'm not referring to a specific poster btw, we've had all of these on the thread so far plus on similar other threads.

When it comes down to it, the mass market lines operate under a set of systems. Many of these favor the cruise lines, some work out well for passengers and some depend on where you book who gets the most out of it. As a consumer it is your responsibility to learn what those systems are and make an informed decision whether or not to book. Once you do, you have agreed to honor those systems, even if you do not like them.

Itinerary changes for various reasons are part of cruising. They can be minor or severe. And if they happen inside the penalty period for your booking or while sailing, the only obligation the cruise line has is to adjust port fees. That's it. They may CHOOSE to do more, but there is a difference between choice and obligation. You can be unhappy even furious about it, but you have to accept that's all you are getting as a guarantee.

I would be very upset to go from 8 ports to 5. And no, saying that 'wow it's still a great cruise so you shouldn't complain' or 'I wish I was doing that' would not make me feel any better. Telling someone to just 'suck it up and smile ' is not only unproductive, its rude. Explaining what their options are and what the rules are and why they are that way is helpful. And that includes suggestions on working with the cruise lines to find options they are willing to consider (but are not obligated to provide).

It also needs to be noted that Sept 2017 probably throughout the end of the year is a special case. The amount of disruption is literally unprecedented. This means the lines have far less options than normal and that needs to be recognized too.

Exactly, very well said! The biggest is " literally unprecedented "

Excellent posts!

Status from Royal Carribbean.

ROY_spacer.gifLast week, we were pleased to share an update after our encouraging meetings with officials from San Juan and St. Thomas, and in anticipation of a St. Maarten visit that took place earlier this week. Today, Royal Caribbean® is excited to announce that these beloved ports are nearly ready to welcome us home.

On November 10, 2017, Adventure of the Seas® will set sail for St. Thomas for the first time since September, when the islands were first impacted by hurricanes. We're also committing to return to both San Juan, Puerto Rico and Philipsburg, St. Maarten by the end of November.

The progress on these islands has been truly inspiring, and in partnership with the U.S. Virgin Islands government, Royal Caribbean has committed to completely restore one of St. Thomas' most popular tourist attractions — Magens Bay — in time for the Adventure of the Seas sailing.

With power and water fully restored to St. Thomas, and most downtown shops, restaurants, bars and operations fully functional, guests will be able to experience the diverse and extensive array of dining, shopping and activities they've always enjoyed on the island. Including boat and catamaran excursions, and some of the Caribbean's best beaches, like Secret Sands Beach, Secret Harbor Beach Club, Lindquist Beach, Abi Beach and Honeymoon Beach on Water Island.

By

December 1, 2017, Royal Caribbean plans to resume calling at all three ports with all of our Caribbean ships, including Oasis of the Seas®, Allure of the Seas® and Harmony of the Seas® — and we can't wait to take you there.

We are booked on the 14 day cruise in January and we will surely think twice about booking with NCL again. Like many of you have said, everybody understands the devastation caused by hurricanes and having a cruise itinerary changed is not the end of the world, but when a company sends out information that itinerary changes will be available within 2 weeks and are not, when you contact them the day before final payment date and you're told that they don't know when the new itinerary will be available and what will be the changes and you tell them that you're debating about cancelling because the worst thing for you would be 2 or 3 sea days added and again are told they don't know and then 3 days later the changes are published and guess what...3 more sea days. The least the company could do is allow to cancel without penalty...it's 2 days later, what do they lose...other then returning customers!

Then being told by Customer relations VP that employees are not told what is in the works before it's all confirmed...that explains the bad customer service we received. Yes, the itinerary itself is good (we've been to Curaçao and enjoyed it), but it does not make up for 8 days cooped up with 4000 other person for us...and why leave Aruba a noon on the second day...plenty of time overnight to travel from Aruba to Curaçao.

• 3 weeks later...
We are booked on the 14 day cruise in January and we will surely think twice about booking with NCL again. Like many of you have said, everybody understands the devastation caused by hurricanes and having a cruise itinerary changed is not the end of the world, but when a company sends out information that itinerary changes will be available within 2 weeks and are not, when you contact them the day before final payment date and you're told that they don't know when the new itinerary will be available and what will be the changes and you tell them that you're debating about cancelling because the worst thing for you would be 2 or 3 sea days added and again are told they don't know and then 3 days later the changes are published and guess what...3 more sea days. The least the company could do is allow to cancel without penalty...it's 2 days later, what do they lose...other then returning customers!

Then being told by Customer relations VP that employees are not told what is in the works before it's all confirmed...that explains the bad customer service we received. Yes, the itinerary itself is good (we've been to Curaçao and enjoyed it), but it does not make up for 8 days cooped up with 4000 other person for us...and why leave Aruba a noon on the second day...plenty of time overnight to travel from Aruba to Curaçao.

Perhaps leaving Aruba at noon because previously scheduled ships will be arriving. Folks love to think rerouting cruise ships is like looking for a parking space for your car.

You ended up with a Southern Carribean itinerary which in my opinion is a bonus. Thus the 3 sea days to get there. It takes 2 sea days from Miami so its understandable 3 down and 3 back to/from NY. I've always wondered why the cruiselines stip at San Juan...Afternoon arrival and departure 5-6 hours later is a waste in my mind. Probably to pick up passengers!?

I can understand your upset....But the original islands on your itinerary were virtually destroyed and your substitute islands are awsome. Hope you can still enjoy your cruise....But other than a late notification....which I'm sure NCL was waiting until the last minute to see if the original ports of call would still be doable.... its within their rights to change the ports of call.

Look, NCL could have handled communications better. But no business, none, wants to see this kind of disruption nor uses it to disenfranchise or disrespect their customers as a matter of intent. Do some customers get a bad experience? Yes, and NCL can improve there, but that's a different scenario.

Repeat after me.

1> Cruise lines do not make more money by skipping or reducing ports. They make significantly less by skipping some ports.

2> Cruise lines do not like lots of sea days as they are burning fuel and giving away alcohol on AIBPs - when in doubt they will choose the shortest route. This is also why TAs can be very expensive.

3> Cruise lines do not control the ports. They have a lot of INFLUENCE at some ports, but its the harbormaster that assigns berths based on tides, etc. And when disruption happens, the ports that stay open know the balance of power has shifted and use that to their advantage.

4> Sometimes c**p happens. And it stinks when it happens to you. But not all c**p is the product of malicious intent.

Then being told by Customer relations VP that employees are not told what is in the works before it's all confirmed...that explains the bad customer service we received.

Do you really believe every employee of a very large corporation should know every possible change in the work, while it is still in the planning process? You must not have ever worked in a business of any size. Decisions are made by the decision makers, and then those changes are told to the employees that need to know.

Remember, there were dozens, if not hundreds, of cruises that were being changed during that time, not just yours. You really expect those anwsering the phones to tell you what changes are being looked at? I think not! And remember not just your cruise line had to make changes so ports space is/was at a premium.

You ended up with a Southern Carribean itinerary which in my opinion is a bonus. Thus the 3 sea days to get there. It takes 2 sea days from Miami so its understandable 3 down and 3 back to/from NY. I've always wondered why the cruiselines stip at San Juan...Afternoon arrival and departure 5-6 hours later is a waste in my mind. Probably to pick up passengers!?

I can understand your upset....But the original islands on your itinerary were virtually destroyed and your substitute islands are awsome. Hope you can still enjoy your cruise....But other than a late notification....which I'm sure NCL was waiting until the last minute to see if the original ports of call would still be doable.... its within their rights to change the ports of call.

I was once told that PR does not charge for arrivals after 3 pm. So for awhile anyway ships were arriving at around 3:30 and leaving at 8 pm. But perhaps they do pick up passengers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Look, NCL could have handled communications better. But no business, none, wants to see this kind of disruption nor uses it to disenfranchise or disrespect their customers as a matter of intent. Do some customers get a bad experience? Yes, and NCL can improve there, but that's a different scenario.

Repeat after me.

1> Cruise lines do not make more money by skipping or reducing ports. They make significantly less by skipping some ports.

2> Cruise lines do not like lots of sea days as they are burning fuel and giving away alcohol on AIBPs - when in doubt they will choose the shortest route. This is also why TAs can be very expensive.

3> Cruise lines do not control the ports. They have a lot of INFLUENCE at some ports, but its the harbormaster that assigns berths based on tides, etc. And when disruption happens, the ports that stay open know the balance of power has shifted and use that to their advantage.

4> Sometimes c**p happens. And it stinks when it happens to you. But not all c**p is the product of malicious intent.

Perfect!

It's a long sail down and back from NY so you're always gong to gets lots of sea days but your ports of call are great including an overnight in Aruba. Hey we lost 7 days of our 14 night cruise due to Irma in September and were thrilled to get the 7 nights.

Sent from my iPad using Forums