Cheddar on Norwegian?

GetMeOnThatShip

I wish all those discussed cheeses were on our QM2 (British) ship

Contrary to the impression given of Britishness, QM2 is registered in Hamilton Bermuda, the onboard currency is US dollars and the end owner is Carnival which owns Cunard.Notwithstanding all that we did a TA on QM2 and thoroughly enjoyed it, including the formality.

I wish all those discussed cheeses were on our QM2 (British) ship

Contrary to the impression given of Britishness, QM2 is registered in Hamilton Bermuda, the onboard currency is US dollars and the end owner is Carnival which owns Cunard.Notwithstanding all that we did a TA on QM2 and thoroughly enjoyed it, including the formality.

We enjoyed our cruise very much, including formality and many other aspects, but felt that quality and variety of food didn’t much quality of everything else QM2 offered, much less quality of food on other massmarket premium lines Celebrity, Princess, Holland.

Don't "wash down" a good Stilton (I prefer Long Clawson) with a good port (Hanwood Estate by McWilliam's). They should both be savoured and the mouth cleansed between with a small piece of very fresh bread.

Colston Basset is my fav. But Clawson is a close second. The 2 best blues produced within 2 miles of each other.

My, oh my, eight pages of people complaining about the lack of anything resembling real cheese on a mass-market cruise ship.

First, you are right, you'll find processed cheese-food slices sooner than you will find anything that tastes like cheese on nearly any US based cruise line. What they have will be served ice cold, with crackers wrapped in plastic. Don't expect dried fruit, nuts, etc.

But, in deference to these cruise lines, they used to try and they gave up. Americans, on average, don't seem to know how to order the stuff. I watched years ago as someone insisted on a half pound slice of cheese. Also, I have seen the plates of wasted cheese heading for the trash.

If you want interesting cheese on a cruise, stick with the cruise lines with European customers or treat yourself to the fancy restaurant on a Celebrity ship which has a proper cheese trolley. Even there, be sure to let them know in advance if you want them to have cheese ready for you at the end of the meal so that it can come to room temperature.

Also, next time I go on a ship, I need to bring my own mustard. I ordered a venison pate on a cruise and requested mustard. The only available mustard was bright yellow American hot dog mustard. That's how they do it!

Sorry but almost all cheese (aside from the blues and their powerful relatives) is pure white or slightly off white.. LOL

The yellow is an additive from the flavorless Annatto seed and is used in all yellow cheeses from American to Cheddar..

And YES the cheddar (whatever color) served on almost every ship is flavorless.:D

bosco

True British cheddar, where it comes from is yellow because "cheddar has a bright yellow color because it's made from the milk of cows that graze on grasses high in beta-carotene. ...". http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2013/11/07/243733126/how-17th-century-fraud-gave-rise-to-bright-orange-cheese

It sounds like we're lucky in Canada. We get cheddar of all stripes (even striped or marbled orange and white). We get reblochon and American cheese (though we call it Kraft cheese or "singles"). As for fries, we also have chips. Chips are best purchased from chip trucks or chip wagons. They also make much better poutine than the McDonald's variety. Our Bovril is beef (although we also have a lower sodium version which contains yeast extract).

As for cheese on ships. The best I've had is by sticking with Italian cheeses on MSC.

Definitely not poitin (had to look it up). They do have white vinegar, which isn't too pleasant to drink. I once asked for vinegar at a McDonald's in England and was told they don't serve it, because it's an American restaurant and they serve French fries and not chips. They're missing out. http://www.avoidinglife.com/media/mcvinegar.jpg

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Forums mobile app

Definitely not poitin (had to look it up). They do have white vinegar, which isn't too pleasant to drink. I once asked for vinegar at a McDonald's in England and was told they don't serve it, because it's an American restaurant and they serve French fries and not chips. They're missing out. http://www.avoidinglife.com/media/mcvinegar.jpg

This opens up whole new areas for discussion.

Are we talking chips, crisps, game chips, french fries? (different depending on which side of the Atlantic you are)

Are they chips or French fries? Stringy or chunky? Cooked in oil or lard or beef dripping? Soggy or crispy?

Do you have tomato ketchup, brown sauce, mayonnaise, salt, pepper, vinegar or what combination on them?

So many questions - so little time...:eek:

This opens up whole new areas for discussion.

Are we talking chips, crisps, game chips, french fries? (different depending on which side of the Atlantic you are)

Are they chips or French fries? Stringy or chunky? Cooked in oil or lard or beef dripping? Soggy or crispy?

Do you have tomato ketchup, brown sauce, mayonnaise, salt, pepper, vinegar or what combination on them?

So many questions - so little time...:eek:

We are off topic. It’s cheese choices ON BOARD not chips etc in Maccy D’s.

Someone needs to start a new thread on the decline of all food choices on most cruise lines?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are off topic. It’s cheese choices ON BOARD not chips etc in Maccy D’s.

Someone needs to start a new thread on the decline of all food choices on most cruise lines?!

Another one? There are plenty to choose from already!:rolleyes:

BTW - apparently those stringy things are french fries in Maccy Ds;p

Another one? There are plenty to choose from already!:rolleyes:

BTW - apparently those stringy things are french fries in Maccy Ds;p

Too true! Lol on the French fries. French? Pah! [emoji38]

We could always choose a themed cruise with Celebrity Chefs on board?!

(That’s famous not Celebrity cruises!)

Best ever meal on a cruise was on Azamara Quest a few years back.On a couple of evenings they did a private dinner of a tasting menu including paired wines for each course, at the chef's table for around twelve passengers, hosted by two senior officers and with the chef and the sommelier on hand to explain the food and wines. At the time it compared very favourably with the Michelin starred restaurants I 've eaten at ashore, though a lot cheaper.

Best chips were a couple of months ago in Amsterdam whilst on a land trip, eaten whilst walking along the street, from a paper cone with a couple of squirts of sauce picked from the wide range on offer.

POITIN or potcheen, poteen or potheen is actually a form of Irish Moonshine...

I guess if you let the mash go too long you will get vinegar, but ugh , what a waste of a good strong wash.. LOL.

bosco

Check this out from the Escape from Miami review:

POA1

Posted Today, 10:39 AM

Last edited by POA1; Today at 10:55 AM

By a show of hands, who wants a "cheese explainer?"

No one? Okay, here you go.

Queso de Cabra is a soft goats' milk cheese. If you like Chevre or similar cheeses, you'll like this. (The literal translation is "cheese of the goat."

Manchego is sheep's milk cheese. Think Jarlsberg or a nuttier Swiss with finer lacing.

Idiazabal is made from raw sheep's milk. The eagle-eyed among you might notice that this cheese is missing from the chef's selection or mixto plate. A common cheese that would be a good substitute would be Gouda. Like Gouda, Idiazabal comes in both smoked and unsmoked varieties. (Or in the case of today, not at all.)

Mahon is made from cows' milk. It's a semi firm cheese that I'd describe, taste wise, as a cross between Parmesan and Cheddar.

Each cheese costs $3. Or, you can order the chef's selection for $11, saving $1 over the per cheese pricing. You would think that the mixto would give you all four cheeses. You would be wrong. You get three cheeses. Perhaps the chef has selected to pocket the extra two bucks. (You'll have to wait until the Friday Pincho's review to see if today's three cheese sampler was an oversight.)

9826834e1e5b6e920cc54bfd16d10fd2.jpg

Edited by ambersfamily

Check this out from the Escape from Miami review:

POA1

Posted Today, 10:39 AM

Last edited by POA1; Today at 10:55 AM

By a show of hands, who wants a "cheese explainer?"

No one? Okay, here you go.

Queso de Cabra is a soft goats' milk cheese. If you like Chevre or similar cheeses, you'll like this. (The literal translation is "cheese of the goat."

Manchego is sheep's milk cheese. Think Jarlsberg or a nuttier Swiss with finer lacing.

Idiazabal is made from raw sheep's milk. The eagle-eyed among you might notice that this cheese is missing from the chef's selection or mixto plate. A common cheese that would be a good substitute would be Gouda. Like Gouda, Idiazabal comes in both smoked and unsmoked varieties. (Or in the case of today, not at all.)

Mahon is made from cows' milk. It's a semi firm cheese that I'd describe, taste wise, as a cross between Parmesan and Cheddar.

Each cheese costs $3. Or, you can order the chef's selection for $11, saving $1 over the per cheese pricing. You would think that the mixto would give you all four cheeses. You would be wrong. You get three cheeses. Perhaps the chef has selected to pocket the extra two bucks. (You'll have to wait until the Friday Pincho's review to see if today's three cheese sampler was an oversight.)

9826834e1e5b6e920cc54bfd16d10fd2.jpg

Thank you for the post and picture! I enjoy trying cheeses, but know next to nothing about them. All of those sound good.