No more customs forms?

Coastalbreezes

No forms for us on our August Liberty cruise out of Port Canaveral. We did need them on our return flight from London to Atlanta in May though. Oddly, we were told we didn't need them on the plane, then got to the front of the line, and were asked for our forms. Good times. ;p For future reference, no, the agents who review them do not have spares. :rolleyes:

We also used (for the first time) the Mobile Passport app on my phone. Was really easy, and we breezed through a much shorter customs line at JFK in about 10 minutes, while others were on the "regular" line over 30 minute! Just make sure you download it and add all the info and pictures before you leave the U.S.

We also used (for the first time) the Mobile Passport app on my phone. Was really easy, and we breezed through a much shorter customs line at JFK in about 10 minutes, while others were on the "regular" line over 30 minute! Just make sure you download it and add all the info and pictures before you leave the U.S.

The last time we traveled out of the country as we came back I used the Mobile Passport app. My wife travels a lot more than I do and she used he Global Entry. I cleared both customs and immigration before she did.

Just off the Dawn on 9/8 and no forms. What I was told by another cruiser was that the forms aren't needed UNLESS you purchased more than $800 (?) or were trying to bring more than the allotted bottles of booze back, then you needed a form to declare your items. I really didn't spend any money on stuff, so I showed my passport and walked off the ship with my luggage in tow. Line moved quickly. It was nice.

As a side note, on a prior cruise (Breakaway, April 2017) I filled out the form for disembarkation in NY. When I got to customs he said "All set." As I turned to walk away, he said "Oh wait, do you have any alcohol?" I told him I did, four bottles. He said, "Ah, that's fine. You're all set." It's not worth the time to collect the duty on the extra bottles over your limit.

• 4 weeks later...

Some are wondering here whether the 'no customs declaration form required' was unique to Florida debarkation ports.

Doesn't appear to be, as we didn't need them when debarking in San Diego two weeks ago. Even though we were on a HAL ship and not NCL, I'm sure it doesn't matter what cruise line it is.

Returned from NY-Canada-NY cruise this week. We had to do forms though they barely looked at it. Actually, the passport/immigration person took and and put in a pile. Line was long to go through the line to show passports. Too long.

(no global entry)

Returned from NY-Canada-NY cruise this week. We had to do forms though they barely looked at it. Actually, the passport/immigration person took and and put in a pile. Line was long to go through the line to show passports. Too long.

(no global entry)

I had the same experience on the Gem (Sept.23-30) NY-Canada-NY in having to fill out forms and the officer barely looking at it.

TSA did look through my checked bag sometime during my flight home. I declared my bottles of Maple Syrup and Blueberry Juice on the customs form, but TSA needed to make sure that's what they were. Glad they were able to refrain from sampling :-p...yum maple and blueberries

Based on comments so far, it seems that Port of Miami may be the only one doing this now. :D

Great news!

Tracy

We had no customs flying into Dulles from Europe. We filled out the form expecting the usual. Answered a question or two on the computer screen where we scanned our passports. That was it although we saw a man sitting there for customs but our line did not go past his table. Still have that customs form as I was not sure we'd done everything right.

Into Miami last Saturday on the Escape - no declaration form, just our passports. We have Global Entry, but my father-in-law does not, so we didn't even try to find the GE line. I was seriously hoping that Port Miami would have Mobile Passport like Port Everglades. It's a serious time saver.

I had the same experience on the Gem (Sept.23-30) NY-Canada-NY in having to fill out forms and the officer barely looking at it.

TSA did look through my checked bag sometime during my flight home. I declared my bottles of Maple Syrup and Blueberry Juice on the customs form, but TSA needed to make sure that's what they were. Glad they were able to refrain from sampling :-p...yum maple and blueberries

The checking by TSA had ZERO to do with the customs form. Not only are the customs folks part of a different agency (and purpose), but it is not electronic and the TSA could care less anyways. They are there for security stuff/show.

The last time we traveled out of the country as we came back I used the Mobile Passport app. My wife travels a lot more than I do and she used he Global Entry. I cleared both customs and immigration before she did.

Airport arrivals and cruise ship arrivals are quite different. At NY cruiseport, I did not see any way to do Global Entry, or the new one with an app. In fact, the passport check was manual for us and not even scanned.

I am guessing the second comment was talking about airport process and not cruse ship?

Not to worry ! If you over spend on the ship they will notify customs. No honest control of what is spent in ports (unless you use your ship charge in places like harvest caye)

My husband bought me a 5,000 ring on the ship plus we spent a bunch on ship and harvest caye. Us and about 10 other people was flagged as we left the ship and brought us straight to customs. We did catch a break because if an emergency and was let go before paying up.

The lady in front of us said "I thought it was tax and duty free" yeah up to 800.00 per person. So that nice watch you bought went over the 1600.00 total for you and hubby. Customs called us big spenders and told us next time to watch our spending. Hello then why all the stuff on the ship. We went over our limit by 4000.00 so we would of had to pay taxs on that. Last time it happen we paid like 3%

So really collecting the forms is a waste of time. People lie about their purchases. The ship reports it and those people are flagged. Makes things go faster. I just wish rather than hold up the lines they would call us aside ahead of time. The people was wanting to mob because the lines stopped.

Last November my wife spent $3,000 on jewelry, but only put a down-payment, was interest free if paid within 12 months. Never came up in customs, no taxes paid.

Just arrived in Manila and filled out the forms, lied about not bringing any food into the country as usual. Since I am traveling with my native Filipino wife they stamped my passport that I am good for a year, never asked about the customs form, gave it back to me. The endless summer continues.

Just off the Carnival Pride in Baltimore. We went to Bermuda only. No customs forms either. Passport and asked if we purchased tobacco or alcohol. Sadly, first time we’ve not taking back 4+ bottles (not fans of Goslings).

• 2 months later...