No Overnight Parking In Kahului, Maui for POA

Lovex4

I have spoken with people on last two POA cruises and both have told me that the former parking lot at the dock is now a construction lot and there is nowhere to park if you intend to keep a rental car overnight. In fact, got a call that cars are even being towed.

On our upcoming cruise we are taking a dive trip the second day in Maui. We need to leave the ship at 5:30am and drive across island. Our original plan was to rent a car for both days but now am wondering what to do. I understand that Uber is not that prominent on the island and taxis in Kahului do not run that early. Any suggestions???

Hi, What a Bummer!!! Used the lot last 2 POA'S. I would suggest to rent the car for a day, turn it in that night and do a excursion the next day. See how late you can keep the car and also get shuttle back. Please post your original post on the NCL board. Thanks for the info, we are booked for POA in Aug 2017. Maybe they are jazzing the place up....

So where do we park our car rentals if this lot is closed?Any information before we leave on Thursday

I cannot think of any paid lots anywhere near the Kahului cruise terminal and parking in a public lot such as one of the shopping centers could result in a citation or even worse a towed car. :eek:

There are some paid parking lots in West Maui (Lahaina, Ka'anapali, Kapalua) however I've never seen one near Kahului which is primarily a residential area. There's a paid lot at the airport but that'd be about a 2.5 mile walk to the ship & rates have increased to $15 for 5 to 24 hours.

I'm reaching here but have you contacted your rental car agency to see if you could park on their lot and be shuttled back & forth. I doubt if that's an option and the suggestion by 'bluenose1' could be your only option.

Hi, What a Bummer!!! Used the lot last 2 POA'S. I would suggest to rent the car for a day, turn it in that night and do a excursion the next day. See how late you can keep the car and also get shuttle back. Please post your original post on the NCL board. Thanks for the info, we are booked for POA in Aug 2017. Maybe they are jazzing the place up....
Edited by Astro Flyer

I was finally able to get in touch with a rental car person at the Kahului airport and they confirmed that there was not parking at the port and I even called the port authority and they said the same. Rental car person said that because of the parking situation people have been turning their cars in each night. What a hassle. I spoke with Norwegian and they were clueless - guess they would rather have excursion dollars...

The POA just underwent a huge refurb in dry dock in San Francisco involving most of the public spaces and cabins. We were on the transpacific sailing out of dry dock back to Hawaii which was delayed one day due to unfinished work. So yes, it is jazzed up to the max. Some unfinished work was continued during the sail back, but nothing which really interfered with our enjoyment of the cruise. I would not be surprised if some of the work has continued during the port stops in the islands, especially during the overnights in Maui and Kauai. Due to the long sail back to Hawaii, we only had one day in Maui rather than the overnight, so this parking issue did not affect us.

You can see my response in the 'other' thread on this topic. There were always two designated lots in Maui. One within the port, which had very limited parking, and one a couple blocks away which was large. So, which one is closed?

I was finally able to get in touch with a rental car person at the Kahului airport and they confirmed that there was not parking at the port and I even called the port authority and they said the same. Rental car person said that because of the parking situation people have been turning their cars in each night. What a hassle. I spoke with Norwegian and they were clueless - guess they would rather have excursion dollars...

No parking "at the port". But what about the other designated lot a couple blocks away?

I wonder if the Maui Port Agent could shed some light about the parking situation? If might be worth a call or an email. Don't forget they are 5 or 6 hours behind us.

Grant Karamatsu, Mgr. of Port Operations 808-687-6502

gkaramatsu@ncl.com

I wouldn't expect NCL to have a clue about what is going on at the various ports when it comes to parking. If this additional parking down the street is still available, where the majority of rentals probably spent the night, he should know. And he will definately know the situation for parking at the port itself.

Thank you for posting this information! We are going to stay with our original plan of a car for two days so that we can drive up to Haleakala to see the sunrise in the wee hours of Monday morning. I did a little research today...There is overnight parking at the airport for $15, and a 24 hour cab service for around $10 each way. It will cost a little more than we planned, but is still much cheaper for the four of us than a formal tour!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We usually try and get out for the proverbial "Sunday drive" each weekend, and this coming Sunday we will make Kahului Harbor our featured destination if anybody wants us to do so. The POA will be in then and we can look around, talk to port security face-to-face, etc. and find out first-hand about the parking situation and report back right away.

We usually try and get out for the proverbial "Sunday drive" each weekend, and this coming Sunday we will make Kahului Harbor our featured destination if anybody wants us to do so. The POA will be in then and we can look around, talk to port security face-to-face, etc. and find out first-hand about the parking situation and report back right away.

That would be wonderful, thank you!

Thank you so much for that offer. We sail in a month and changing our current 2-day reservation to single days would probably bring up the total price of the car.

No parking "at the port". But what about the other designated lot a couple blocks away?

I wonder if the Maui Port Agent could shed some light about the parking situation? If might be worth a call or an email. Don't forget they are 5 or 6 hours behind us.

Grant Karamatsu, Mgr. of Port Operations 808-687-6502

gkaramatsu@ncl.com

I wouldn't expect NCL to have a clue about what is going on at the various ports when it comes to parking. If this additional parking down the street is still available, where the majority of rentals probably spent the night, he should know. And he will definately know the situation for parking at the port itself.

Its been a few years since I've been there, but I can't remember if we even used a port agent, since the cruises were intra-state. How recent is your info on Grant? I think he moved to a similar position in Miami when the main Honolulu office closed in 2008-2009. I could be wrong.

Thank you for posting this information! We are going to stay with our original plan of a car for two days so that we can drive up to Haleakala to see the sunrise in the wee hours of Monday morning. I did a little research today...There is overnight parking at the airport for $15, and a 24 hour cab service for around $10 each way. It will cost a little more than we planned, but is still much cheaper for the four of us than a formal tour!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

That is the best alternative I've heard! I've checked with taxi services about a 5:30am pick-up at the port to Kihei and only found one that would do it. I would expect taxis from the airport to the close by Kahului port that early in the morning to be much easier to find - at least I certainly hope so!

Thank you so much for that offer. We sail in a month and changing our current 2-day reservation to single days would probably bring up the total price of the car.

That would be great as I really would like to do a 2 day rental verses 2 separate ones in order to head off early the next morning.

I did a little research today...There is overnight parking at the airport for $15, and a 24 hour cab service for around $10 each way. It will cost a little more than we planned, but is still much cheaper for the four of us than a formal tour!

Can you share the details of your research for the rest of us, ie: the cab company name and where did you see the parking rates? Thanks.

Its been a few years since I've been there, but I can't remember if we even used a port agent, since the cruises were intra-state. How recent is your info on Grant? I think he moved to a similar position in Miami when the main Honolulu office closed in 2008-2009. I could be wrong.

His name and contact info was listed as Port Agent in the Freestyle Daily on our 3-16-16 cruise from SFO back to Hawaii. I was thinking there would be a different agent in each port as there would be on a Caribbean cruise. After I posted, I noticed that his same contact info is listed for every port in Hawaii. So you are probably correct that he is now located in Miami.

Not really versed on what the duties of a port agent entail, but I had the impression, from posts I have read on Cruise Critic, that they were the go to person for cruisers who encounter problems in port, at least in the Caribbean, and I assumed that they were physically located at or near the port. But it's difficult to see how he could possibly assist anyone with port issues in Hawaii when he's sitting at a desk in Miami, and I wonder why the ship bothers to list this info in the dailies. Im sure you can explain.

It's hard to believe that the ship would not give passengers a heads up with a letter in the cabin if no parking whatsoever was available in an overnight port, knowing that a pretty good number will rent cars expecting to keep them overnight.

His name and contact info was listed as Port Agent in the Freestyle Daily on our 3-16-16 cruise from SFO back to Hawaii. I was thinking there would be a different agent in each port as there would be on a Caribbean cruise. After I posted, I noticed that his same contact info is listed for every port in Hawaii. So you are probably correct that he is now located in Miami.

Not really versed on what the duties of a port agent entail, but I had the impression, from posts I have read on Cruise Critic, that they were the go to person for cruisers who encounter problems in port, at least in the Caribbean, and I assumed that they were physically located at or near the port. But it's difficult to see how he could possibly assist anyone with port issues in Hawaii when he's sitting at a desk in Miami, and I wonder why the ship bothers to list this info in the dailies. Im sure you can explain.

It's hard to believe that the ship would not give passengers a heads up with a letter in the cabin if no parking whatsoever was available in an overnight port, knowing that a pretty good number will rent cars expecting to keep them overnight.

I could be wrong about him being in Miami, though when I looked for his contact info for another thread, it listed a Miami phone number. The number you gave is a Hawaii number. The Miami number may be the switchboard, and it forwards to Hawaii. Since about 2008, NCL closed the Honolulu office of NCL America, and are now leasing space in terminal #2, I believe, but they don't advertise a lot of contact info for there, it's all supposed to go through Miami. Grant is manager of port operations, which is different from a port agent. Grant is in charge of hiring the tugs, pilots, arranging for security, whatever the ship needs in port. Since all the ports are in the US, this is pretty typical. Many US flag ships will have agents in overseas ports, but none in the US, since everything an agent does, from arranging dockage to mailing letters is charged to the company.

A port agent is a firm hired by the cruise line in a country where the company does not have a physical presence, or in a distant port. The port agent does not work for the company, but the firm is assigned as the ship owner's "representative" for all local issues, so they are authorized to make payments (tugs, pilots, harbor fees) and arrange things at the owner's cost (repatriation of guests, etc).

If Grant is the contact listed, then he would be the one to call. Again, since this is all within the state of Hawaii, he can reach out to the out ports easily and arrange whatever is required from Honolulu.

Can you share the details of your research for the rest of us, ie: the cab company name and where did you see the parking rates? Thanks.

Sure thing... got to love the internet!! This probably goes without saying, but I cannot attest to whether or not the information is accurate until we return from Hawaii in early June.

I found the Kahului Airport Parking information and rates ($15) at this URL: "http://hawaii.gov/ogg/airport-parking/parking-rates" (you should find it if you google 'overnight parking in Kahului maui'.)

However, the Hawaii gov site seems to be having issues today, so I am unable to display them again. I found another URL just now that contains the same information: "http://www.ifly.com/kahului-airport/Maui-Kahului-OGG-Airport-Parking".

There was another URL (aboutairportparking com) that lists parking rates at $10 for parking 2+ miles away from the airport, but we decided to just use the Airport parking.

The 24 hour cab company is 'CB Maui Taxi Service', which quoted us $10. This company has great reviews on yelp.

Uber also seems to be available on Maui when I used google maps it popped up with two cars in the area of Kahului Harbor.

I hope this helps!

Sure thing... got to love the internet!! This probably goes without saying, but I cannot attest to whether or not the information is accurate until we return from Hawaii in early June.

I found the Kahului Airport Parking information and rates ($15) at this URL: "http://hawaii.gov/ogg/airport-parking/parking-rates" (you should find it if you google 'overnight parking in Kahului maui'.)

However, the Hawaii gov site seems to be having issues today, so I am unable to display them again. I found another URL just now that contains the same information: "http://www.ifly.com/kahului-airport/Maui-Kahului-OGG-Airport-Parking".

There was another URL (aboutairportparking com) that lists parking rates at $10 for parking 2+ miles away from the airport, but we decided to just use the Airport parking.

The 24 hour cab company is 'CB Maui Taxi Service', which quoted us $10. This company has great reviews on yelp.

Uber also seems to be available on Maui when I used google maps it popped up with two cars in the area of Kahului Harbor.

I hope this helps!

Thanks--that information is great.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, we will definitely check out the parking in person on Sunday afternoon and report back right away.

Thank you very much for doing this!!