Possibly one of the best travel cards? Chase Sapphire Reserve

Hello all,

The Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) card became available on Monday, this is not to be confused with the Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) card.

Mine arrived today and I came here to see if anyone knew about the medical/evac insurance associated with it? I didn't know when I applied and this could be a way to save money by not purchasing supplemental medical/evac/trip cancellation etc.

I got the card for the 3x points on dining/travel but mostly because the points are worth 50% more (only 25% with CSP) when booking through Chase's Ultimate Rewards site. I plan to transfer other UR account points (business/personal) to this reserve account on a regular basis as they go 25% further with travel.

You can see the difference on travel insurance, between the CSR and CSP cards here.

There is a high $450 annual fee with the CSR card but it comes with a 100k bonus point offer (that's $1,500 in travel) plus it comes with an annual $300 travel credit you can use towards any travel (not just baggage like AMEX plat card, but hotels etc). In effect, the travel credit brings the fee down to $150/year (if you spend more than $300 on travel per year). It also has TSA prep fee coverage, airport lounge access and "primary" auto CDW coverage. Here are more bennies it comes with:

Chase_Sapphire_Reserve_Benefits_Guide_02.jpg?fb87bb

I have cancelled my AMEX platinum card as this reserve card now offers similar (but better) benefits with less cost. I am also going to downgrade my CSP card to a Freedom Cash.

I believe a lot of the CSP members buy supplemental medical/evac insurance but, depending on your needs, you may be okay with this card's benefits.

I hope I save someone some money... :)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

...and.... even better..... the $300 travel credit is per calendar year. Booked cruise in December, paid deposit. got statement credit. Will use it again to pay balance in the new year. Bam. Another credit = $600 discount just for using it. Already more than paid for itself,plus the 100,000 points.

• 2 weeks later...
...and.... even better..... the $300 travel credit is per calendar year. Booked cruise in December, paid deposit. got statement credit. Will use it again to pay balance in the new year. Bam. Another credit = $600 discount just for using it. Already more than paid for itself,plus the 100,000 points.

Lol! I'm doing the same thing. $600 cash for $450 fee more than paid for this card. Plus, I also used the $100 credit they offer for Global Entry, so I'm already $250 ahead. And I haven't even used the points or the lounge access yet. I've been a credit card churner for years, and this is one of the best deals I've ever seen on a card.

• 1 month later...

I was just at my Chase branch today to update them on upcoming travel and destinations. I also wanted to inquire about the Chase Reserve card (presently hold the Sapphire Card). Presently in the Branch you will receive the 100,000 bonus points but our banker told us this card has been very poplar and in March the bonus points will drop to 50,000 points.

She also explained that if you go to the Chase website you will see the drop in points to 50,000, but if you sign up at the branch before March you will still receive the 100,000 points but this will be changing in March.

I was able to transfer all my Sapphire points over to the Reserve card along with my line of credit.

Just wanted to pass this along to any of you who may have been looking at this card.

• 3 months later...

I know I am late to the party here, but has anyone booked a cruise using the cards travel site? I just signed up and was curious how you felt about the pricing, flexibility, or any other observations compared to a traditional channel.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone

We are looking into getting this card and we are booked on an upcoming cruise that my parents have paid for (I know pretty lucky). What I am wondering is if I can transfer my points to the new reserve card and then use those points at 1.5 to pay for our excursions through the chase travel website. TIA!

Hi everyone

We are looking into getting this card and we are booked on an upcoming cruise that my parents have paid for (I know pretty lucky). What I am wondering is if I can transfer my points to the new reserve card and then use those points at 1.5 to pay for our excursions through the chase travel website. TIA!

Hi, the good news is you can transfer your Ultimate Reward points to your Reserve card and get that 1.5x point purchase rate for buying a cruise, hotel, airfare or cars, but I honestly have no clue about excursions. I'm assuming yes, but you'd have to check with Chase.