Junkanoo

Jdragon95

Absolutely a possibility (Junkanoo beach & straw market --- I've never been to the fort). My BF and I go to Junkanoo beach every time we are in Nassau - easy 10-15 minute walk from the ship (from port, go to right and follow signs to the beach ... keep going right - you will pass the straw market on the left). You can rent 2 chairs, umbrella at the Tiki Bikini bar including 6 drinks and 6 baby shots for $40/$45. We also always get lunch from Richard (yellow hut) .. he's got the best jerk chicken and local fish.

Absolutely a possibility (Junkanoo beach & straw market --- I've never been to the fort). My BF and I go to Junkanoo beach every time we are in Nassau - easy 10-15 minute walk from the ship (from port, go to right and follow signs to the beach ... keep going right - you will pass the straw market on the left). You can rent 2 chairs, umbrella at the Tiki Bikini bar including 6 drinks and 6 baby shots for $40/$45. We also always get lunch from Richard (yellow hut) .. he's got the best jerk chicken and local fish.

Great! Thanks for the advice! I have seen things about garbage problems, is that a true concern?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Great! Thanks for the advice! I have seen things about garbage problems, is that a true concern?

You're welcome :) garbage problems? To me, I don't think there's a lot of garbage ... actually, the beach is kept quite clean - especially for a free beach ... the bathrooms were surprisingly clean - there will be a bathroom 'attendant' keeping it clean, handing you paper towels, etc ... of course expecting tips - but I don't mind giving a $1 for clean bathrooms and someone who is actually working.

Edited by mcarney

You're welcome :) garbage problems? To me, I don't think there's a lot of garbage ... actually, the beach is kept quick clean - especially for a free beach ... the bathrooms were surprisingly clean - there will be a bathroom 'attendant' keeping it clean, handing you paper towels, etc ... of course expecting tips - but I don't mind giving a $1 for clean bathrooms and someone who is actually working.

Thanks again!

We don't drink so can we get just the beach chairs and umbrella for lower price?:): Thanks

We don't drink so can we get just the beach chairs and umbrella for lower price?:): Thanks

Definitely .... and there are other vendors renting chairs/umbrells as well .. We just rented from Tiki Bikini for the drink package and FREE wi-fi. Since you do not drink, barter and ask for food/sodas instead. Or if you do not want food/drinks, just offer $15 for 2 chairs & umbrella (I think the going rate is $15 - $20 max)

Of course, always negotiate with vendors ... they wanted $45 for the VIP package and we said $40 and they were - Ok, you must have read about us on TripAdvisor --- we were, yes (hahaha ... actually our friends told us as they just got back from there).

There are other vendors renting chairs/umbrellas too with free snorkel equipment ... but they do not offer free wi-fi (I don't believe)

Edited by mcarney

Thanks...are there locals peddling their stuff.:(:mad::mad:

Definitely .... and there are other vendors renting chairs/umbrells as well .. We just rented from Tiki Bikini for the drink package and FREE wi-fi. Since you do not drink, barter and ask for food/sodas instead. Or if you do not want food/drinks, just offer $15 for 2 chairs & umbrella (I think the going rate is $15 - $20 max)

Of course, always negotiate with vendors ... they wanted $45 for the VIP package and we said $40 and they were - Ok, you must have read about us on TripAdvisor --- we were, yes (hahaha ... actually our friends told us as they just got back from there).

There are other vendors renting chairs/umbrellas too with free snorkel equipment ... but they do not offer free wi-fi (I don't believe)

Thanks...are there locals peddling their stuff.:(:mad::mad:

Unfortunately ... there are a few on the beach, but they are not ugly at all ... just smile and say no, thank you and they move on ... now, it's different in the straw market -- some of those people are downright nasty ... they all sell the exact same (made in china) stuff and if you stop at one table, the others try and snatch you away to them ... you pass by them and they get mad ... I don't shop in the straw market

Unfortunately ... there are a few on the beach, but they are not ugly at all ... just smile and say no, thank you and they move on ... now, it's different in the straw market -- some of those people are downright nasty ... they all sell the exact same (made in china) stuff and if you stop at one table, the others try and snatch you away to them ... you pass by them and they get mad ... I don't shop in the straw market

Oh good advice. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Totally possible to do visit all. BUT would strongly advise starting with the Fort Fincastle - up the hill and out of the way ... Then walk back to pass by the Straw Market (not as 'attractive' as you may think) and then walk to the beach.

Glad to hear its still the same deal at the Tiki bar...been there many times but over a year since the last visit.

I always stop there for some drinks...last time it was $10 for 3beers/3shots......I have rented the chairs there but usually don't as its not that long I spend there.

Never been real dirty and vendors are not pushy in my 5 experiences there....

Looking forward to getting back there....its always a must do when in Nassau for the day!

• 1 month later...

Just got back from here yesterday. The drinks at the beach were made with cheap, horrible booze and the venders were crazy, wild with peddling their stuff. Thank goodness for the unlimited drinks, for there were many dumped in the sand by a lot of people. The shots offered were horrible too, made with cheap booze and completely undrinkable. If you don't stay right on top of those who sold you the package (chair, drinks, food), they will conveniently forget about you. The prices for chairs/drinks/food vary from vender to vender, so check out a few before you spend your money, or get taken. At 30 a person, for five adults, the vender tried like heck to get 300 bucks out of us, until we told him to do the math. He then told us it was 150 and he expected a great tip.

A party beach for sure. One at which I was not impressed with and will not return to with my young family members.

Anyone expecting Nassau, Junkanoo Beach, or any Caribbean Island to have 'proper' rules and regulations as far as pricing and quality will be an easy prey for the local con artists. Suppose that's why these forums are of interest.

Paying more than US$ 30 for two chairs and one umbrella in Junkanoo is a rip-off. PERIOD. Most beach vendors are not stupid and will ask the 'regular' price but, YES, there are lots of con artists around ... in Nassau like in any touristic destination. Just be AWARE. I've seen many a tourist in Israel buying unreal 2,000-year-old relics such as 'wooden planks' cut by St. Joseph himself ... and in Egypt, saw many buying golden barcelets 'belonging to Nerfatari' (over 3,000 years ago).

So, check out proper, well sourced, and reliable info before cruising ...

FUNNY STORY: Over 20 years ago, working for an American corporation, I landed in Montego Bay - Jamaica - and had been told by the company I worked for to get a Taxi at the Airport and go to Sandals Montego Bay resort. When asked how much the taxi fare would be, my 'experienced' bosses explained that Taxis in Jamaica were very expensive but that expenses would be paid. I did get a Taxi as 'instructed' and paid US$100 (in 1997) for a 15-minute ride - literally around the airport. When reporting this to my company in the US, they told me that this was fare was ok. Now, if I were a Taxi driver in Jamaica, ask US$100 to a tourist for a 15-minute ride and he/she would pay, you can be sure that I - like anyone else - would. After many other trips to Jamaica, I ended up 'discovering' that the regular taxi fare should have been around $US5.00.

Sorry for your terrible experience...must have been a bad day.

Been there 5x now...none of the above things happened nor were the above prices quoted to me either.

Obviously your experience can vary from day to day..but that is not the norm based on my experiences.

I am heading back there in 13 days and will post how it was for me.

Sorry for your terrible experience...must have been a bad day.

Been there 5x now...none of the above things happened nor were the above prices quoted to me either.

Obviously your experience can vary from day to day..but that is not the norm based on my experiences.

I am heading back there in 13 days and will post how it was for me.

I'm patiently awaiting to see what you have to say, since I'll be there in 40 days and am unsure of what our plan is when we get off in Nassau. Looking forward to your "review"!

I hated Junkanoo Beach, I wouldn't go there if someone paid me too.

We went to Cabbage Beach last year by cab and there were a ton of locals trying to sell stuff, but the beach was beautiful and so worth it to me.

We've also been to Cable Beach and it was nice too!

Edited by Emmabelle

So, if I am reading most of the posts correctly, Junkanoo is a so-so beach with cheap booze and the ability to rent chairs and umbrellas and possibly get free wifi. But along with that there will be locals trying to sell stuff and can be pushy. So, if all that is the case, where can I go and just relax on the beach in Nassau/Paradise Island?

its not that bad there for locals selling at all..much worse elsewhere in my experiences.

But other than that....you have everything else spot on about it!

Anywhere else you will need to pay for cabs there and back, as well as higher prices once there or get a package deal at a resort for the day.

I would check it out first....its about a 10 mins walk..if you don't like it, lots of time to go elsewhere..

its not that bad there for locals selling at all..much worse elsewhere in my experiences.

But other than that....you have everything else spot on about it!

Anywhere else you will need to pay for cabs there and back, as well as higher prices once there or get a package deal at a resort for the day.

I would check it out first....its about a 10 mins walk..if you don't like it, lots of time to go elsewhere..

It looks like there is a beach, and it may be part of Junkanoo, to the west in the Fish Fry area. Any experience there? I want to try some of the restaurants at Fish Fry.

here's are some pics I took of both, I was having trouble posting them in one reply

Junkanoo Beach. That is me standing in one spot taking a picture in each direction. It's a pretty small beach

32403010375_eb94d51f42_b.jpg

32025794180_01f1061272_b.jpg

Edited by Emmabelle