Mani / Pedi - Colors and matching or not

Noreen411

Hi

Have started to think about Mani/Pedi colors for our upcoming cruise.

I usually have gotten a pretty beachy color like a coral or pink and had the same color on my toes and fingers on the last few cruises

Lately, I've been getting different colors at home (not matching the fingers and toes)

I was thinking maybe a nice Caribbean blue color for the toe nails, but maybe a coral or pink for the finger nails.

Just looking for suggestions for colors and if they should match.

What have you done lately?

Thank you

Noreen

I wear colors that compliment my skin tone. I do not look good in too many pastel colors, but in spring/summer I can pull off French on my fingernails (nude/white or white/white), and brighter colors on my toenails of a medium-deep jewel tone. In fall/winter, I tend to match both fingernails and toenails with jewel tone colors.

Edited by brunello22

I guess it goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway LOL .. do whatever YOU like ... :D

But since you asked for opinions ... I think what you mentioned sounds pretty and great for a cruise. I personally have not found a blue that I like on my skin tone ... though I LOVE to wear blue clothing. But the tropical blue and coral combination sounds beautiful ... my DIL gave all her bridesmaids two bottles of nail polish in their wedding colors (a pretty coral, and a coordinating blue/sea-grean color) and told them to 'have fun' ... they all went for mani/pedi's but she left it up to them which color they used in what way ...

For our recent cruise, I matched my dark burgundy-red polish for my fingers and toes ... and I tend to prefer to match. But I also like BLACK nail polish ... but I don't like it for my toes ... so whenever I do black fingernails, I do a red on my toes. Just personal preference.

I don't see anything wrong with a bright color on either toes/finger and a "neutral" on the other....but I prefer the same color on all nails. It's not like painting a bedroom one color and the living room something different....they are all on YOU...one person...with 20 nails! I sort of think they should match!

In the summer, I like bright, summery colors (and yes...something that compliments my skin/tan!)...in the winter, I go a bit darker and more subdued....heck....when I'm not wearing sandals, my toes have clear coat only....I don't even try to maintain color on something no one sees! In the summer...different story. My toes and fingers always need to look their best!

Edited by cb at sea

Just my opinion. Looking at my pictures I'm glad I had matching. ]

I can not imagine a picture that you could actually see the color of both the feet and hands in. :)

I only do colors on my toes - lasts a long time.

Neutral or nothing on the fingers - as it chips and looks poorly so fast on me.

But to each her own!

I like to do different colors on different fingernails and then pick only one of the colors for my toes. It's fun! I usually pick colors that match the color scheme I'm using in my clothes.

However, for my niece's upcoming wedding in Cancun, MX...I'm going with a flat bright white for my mani/pedi as it looks great with my naturally tan-colored skin. White goes with everything so I won't have to worry about that.

Do let us know what you decide Noreen.

I only do color on my toes, and neutral on fingernails which always tear or chip.

This is my preference as well.

I like a French manicure on my fingers because that style doesn't chip as much, and doesn't look as bad if it grows out a bit over the two-week trip (and my nails do grow SO FAST). My husband likes this style a good bit too, though he doesn't grasp the practical nature of it.

However, I like color too, so I usually go with a pink or coral on my toes. I am a "warm colors" person, so I lean towards these tones.

If anyone hasn't tried a Gel manicure and is curious about it, I would say at least give it a try. (Not artificial nails of any kind ... but just the Gel polish.) I *LOVE* that a Gel polish mani usually lasts me 3 weeks with no chipping or peeling.

I usually go for a new mani at about three weeks because the polish will have started to grow out from my cuticle area well before there is any noticeable wear or problems on the rest of my nail.

I kept turning down the 'gel upgrade' at the salon because I didn't think it would be worthwhile ... figured there was no way it would last as long as they said it would .... but once I tried it, I've rarely NOT gotten it. I've read conflicting things about whether it is 'good' for your nails or not ... but for me it seems to be great and my nails grow better than ever.

If anyone hasn't tried a Gel manicure and is curious about it, I would say at least give it a try. (Not artificial nails of any kind ... but just the Gel polish.) I *LOVE* that a Gel polish mani usually lasts me 3 weeks with no chipping or peeling.

I usually go for a new mani at about three weeks because the polish will have started to grow out from my cuticle area well before there is any noticeable wear or problems on the rest of my nail.

I kept turning down the 'gel upgrade' at the salon because I didn't think it would be worthwhile ... figured there was no way it would last as long as they said it would .... but once I tried it, I've rarely NOT gotten it. I've read conflicting things about whether it is 'good' for your nails or not ... but for me it seems to be great and my nails grow better than ever.

After reading your post I'm thinking of getting a professional gel mani-pedi for my trip to Cancun next month. What is the ballpark price for a gel mani-pedi these days?

Hi

So I finally decided what colors to go with...

On the toes - a nice Caribbean type of blue. It's by Essie and called Viva Antigua.

On the fingers - An almost hot pink color, kind of sparkly (but not with sparkles on top if that makes sense). I don't remember the color name to share.

I haven't figured out posting pictures or I would include to show everyone

Thank you for the advice

Noreen

Hi

I did the gel manicure on my fingers.

The toes don't need it - the regular pedicure usually lasts a long time

I was reluctant to do the gel (or shellac) - those names seem to be used interchangably.

Last year, I tried a gel manicure for the first time for my cruise on Anthem. It was great. It lasted probably 3 weeks. The only reason I say 3 weeks is that my nails started growing and you can see the nail starting to grow out by the cuticles. What I didn't like is that I couldn't remove it myself. I went back to have it removed. I felt like my nails were weak after that. Since then I just stuck with regular manicures

So now I'm getting ready for another 12 night cruise and don't want to have to worry about the manicure chipping so I went with the gel manicure. The woman said there are different brands and the one I have this time (I think it was CNC or something like that) isn't as harsh as last year's (OPI) and that I can remove it myself when ready, but would need to probably soak the nails for 5 minutes.

The cost for the gel manicure was $45 before tip. I'm sure there are cheaper places but I go to a spa (same place I get waxes and pedicures) and am comfortable there.

Noreen

After reading your post I'm thinking of getting a professional gel mani-pedi for my trip to Cancun next month. What is the ballpark price for a gel mani-pedi these days?

Good Luck! I hope you like the gel polish if you do try it. Around here (rural Georgia) most places add about $10-$15 to the price of a regular manicure for a gel mani. My favorite place does a gel mani for $28 ... I was hesitant because of the extra cost, but since it lasts so long, I justify it.

Some people say gel 'damages' your nails and/or that their nails broke more easily after a gel mani ... and I honestly cannot refute that. But for me, it's a worthwhile trade-off or maybe the 'lesser of two evils'. I have had thin brittle nails that break easily all my life ... for me, gel is an improvement and as long as I keep a gel mani, my nails are GREAT! If I do try to go without gel ... I usually cut my nails short, just to the tips of my fingers, and apply clear polish and keep them short till I decide to go with gel again ... and then I can let them grow. I don't think I could grow them long without gel or some other 'overlay' type product.

A tip about the removal process ... DO NOT let the salon make you 'soak' your entire finger tips in a bowl of polish remover. Uggggg! I went to one salon that did that ONE time ... never went back. Much too harsh on your cuticles and the skin of your finger tips. Most salons (at least as far as I know) will 'rough up' the gel polish with a very coarse emery board and then place a piece of cotton soaked in polish remover over the nail. Then they wrap it (usually with a small foil square) and you soak the polish that way.

nails_4115.jpg.b2784ea91737cb26e2e4685a443524fd.jpg

Edited by Cro_and_Swan

• 3 weeks later...

Okay - tell me how crazy this is:

For my cruise, I'm seriously considering getting the nails on my right hand and right foot done in green (for starboard navigation lights), and my left hand & foot done in red (for port navigation lights). Fun and cruise-ey? Or too esoteric/nautical/just plain weird?

Okay - tell me how crazy this is:

For my cruise, I'm seriously considering getting the nails on my right hand and right foot done in green (for starboard navigation lights), and my left hand & foot done in red (for port navigation lights). Fun and cruise-ey? Or too esoteric/nautical/just plain weird?

Interesting idea and not one I have ever thought of, but I think most people wouldn't get it and you'll spend a good chunk of time explaining. But maybe do an ocean blue with an accent finger on each hand having the navigation lights?? Ring fingers? But hey, I'm all for eccentric!

I'm doing French on my toes and have long sculpted gel nails in the "coffin shape" that will have a V French with maybe some gems added. 8dc0126ddae6435de306a60d2ac04398.jpg

This is what I'm considering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting idea and not one I have ever thought of, but I think most people wouldn't get it and you'll spend a good chunk of time explaining. But maybe do an ocean blue with an accent finger on each hand having the navigation lights?? Ring fingers? But hey, I'm all for eccentric!

I'm doing French on my toes and have long sculpted gel nails in the "coffin shape" that will have a V French with maybe some gems added. 8dc0126ddae6435de306a60d2ac04398.jpg

This is what I'm considering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. :)

I like the idea of just doing one accent nail in red/green, and doing the other nails in more customary nail colors. (At least on my hands. Toes I'll go whole hog with :) )

PS. Oooh! Pretty Nails!!!

Shellac is a brand of gel nail polish, which is made by CND. They also make an at home line called Vinylux which you can get at Ulta, some of the shades are identical to the shellac shades so that you can touch it up at home (or on vacation!) as needed. I actually wore just Vinylux on my cruise a couple of years ago and it held up.

I personally prefer to do a neutral on the fingers and a more fun color on the toes, recently I've been seeing a new trend of doing a neutral on one hand and a fun color on the other. I may try it out some time.

• 4 weeks later...
Shellac is a brand of gel nail polish, which is made by CND. They also make an at home line called Vinylux which you can get at Ulta, some of the shades are identical to the shellac shades so that you can touch it up at home (or on vacation!) as needed. I actually wore just Vinylux on my cruise a couple of years ago and it held up.

I personally prefer to do a neutral on the fingers and a more fun color on the toes, recently I've been seeing a new trend of doing a neutral on one hand and a fun color on the other. I may try it out some time.

Ultra no longer carries Vinylux which irritates me because it's the best polish I've found, ever!

Sent from my iPad using Forums